Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,066,633 times

Advertisements

No because I don't do it.

In NY, texting and driving is a 5 point moving violation, which is more than most and equivalent to reckless driving and passing a school bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,818,824 times
Nope because distraction occurs any time you take your eyes off the road, your hands off the wheel, and your mind off your primary task: driving safely.

Any non-driving activity you engage in is a potential distraction and increases your risk of crashing.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,242,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I'm surprised with all the laws in CA that banning texting while driving isn't one of them...
Did you read the OP? CA absolutely bans use of a phone while driving unless it is hands free. They just allow you to look at your GPS, which is not the same.

Using cellphone map while driving OK'd by California court - San Jose Mercury News

Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
Young people never seem to learn the easy way, they always want to go to the school of hard knocks!

Anyway it DOES NOT MATTER what you say, what matters is what the cop says he saw you doing. Judges listen to cops.

Also can you say DUH? (You might be interested to know that digital devices and your cell phone provider have an ELECTRONIC RECORD of exactly what you were doing and at what time you were doing it!)

Not to mention many businesses have cameras these days, which many times capture things happening in the street or across the street. So if you are texting and kill someone, chances are high you will be on video and definite that there will be an electronic record of what you were doing.

Texting while driving now leading cause of death for teen drivers...
Study: Texting while driving now leading cause of death for teen drivers - Newsday

Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,758,018 times
Thankfully, I do not feel so "first person singular" that a call or text cannot wait.

Research has proven that most, if not all, Cell Phone Addicts have arrogantly claimed they are fully capable of chatting and/or texting while driving until AFTER a major accident.

To avoid temptation . . . all Cell Phones should be OFF while driving.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,121,834 times
I cannot understand why anyone would have the need to text while they are driving a car. It's a foolish and dangerous practice.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times
No, because I never text and drive. I also no longer make or take calls while driving unless it's a 911 emergency.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,485,384 times
Can the cop check phone records when they pull you over? I hope so and then you can add lying to a police officer to your charges

Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
P.S. As for being caught on a business video camera, note I just saw the following, so add being caught on video by another car!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...s-dashcam.html

Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 AM

414 posts, read 933,783 times
For those of you with AT&T, I would strongly recommend downloading their free "Drive Mode" app for your smartphone. It makes a lot of sense and while it's not perfect (see last paragraph about "Allow List" below), it works pretty well for me!

How does DriveMode work?

When the app is on, incoming alerts are silenced, LED notifications are diminished and incoming calls are sent to voicemail. The DriveMode main screen blocks access to the phone so you can not compose a text message or access any other applications. The app can send an auto-reply message to a incoming text or phone call from a mobile number. The app has a default auto-reply message or you can create your own personal message limited to 135 characters.

How does the Auto-Mode work?

If you have Auto-Mode enabled, DriveMode will automatically turn on when the app recognizes that your vehicle is moving 25 MPH. When the app recognizes that the vehicle is no longer traveling at 25 MPH for five minutes, it will turn off.

Auto-Mode Enabled is the default setting but you can choose to disable this. You can manually turn off DriveMode at any time from the home screen.

Can I Send and Receive Calls while DriveMode is On?

When DriveMode is turned on, you are not able to place an outbound call except to those numbers on your Allow List or to 911. You can receive incoming calls from numbers on your Allow List. You can receive all incoming calls if you are using a hands-free Bluetooth® device. You must elect this during the set up process or by going to Allow List in Settings. If you make this selection, but are not using a hands- free Bluetooth® device, incoming calls will go to voicemail unless the number is on the Allow List.

Dangers of Texting and Driving – Texting while Driving Accident Stories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive