Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,993 times

Advertisements

When I was an active LEO, my policy was to confiscate the phone as evidence. I made sure that I saw a driver using a cell phone and verify that it was captured on my dash cam. In order to get the phone back, the offender had to appear in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Ok, let me TRY to understand your logic here. The presence of a police officer (or a "super unsafe road" are the ONLY real deterrents that keep you from texting while driving...and possibly getting in a fender bender or worse, vehicular manslaughter?

I'm guessing these texts are work-related and business critical, if you MUST do the voice respond thing immediately.

I'll challenge you that these voice texts read through your car speakers may distract you from being fully alert and hearing/seeing something more much important that may be occurring while driving.

You're focusing on the content of the text message and the accuracy of your reply...so is your FULL attention REALLY on your driving and your surroundings (cars around you, motorcycles weaving & bobbing around you, cops or paramedics travelling from behind at a high rate of speed, kids who chase a ball into the street and multiple other behind the wheel scenarios) ??

If you have to do the voice text respond thing, why not just send a simple "Ok", or better yet, just have an auto-reply that says "I'm driving now, will respond to your text when I can safely do so".
It's hard to get a fender bender or commit vehicular manslaughter when there are no cars or people around and I am in control of my vehicle.

My texts are not business critical. If I feel like the text is urgent enough to warrant an immediate response, I will respond. If I don't feel I'm in an area where it's safe enough to respond immediately, I will either wait or pull over and stop my car.

I think you just missed the point where I stated that I don't text in situations in which I feel it would be unsafe to do so. If motorcycles are weaving around me, people are crossing the street, and kids are outside playing, paramedics are flying up behind me, etc. I won't text. It's really just as simple as that.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I just learned that in California, it's legal to use your cellphone if it's GPS. So that's the excuse I'll be using if I ever get pulled over.

I use speech to text to send and read msgs via Bluetooth system. if you don't have it, then that S*** can wait. nothing more annoying than watching ppl yapping on their phones and driving dumb or texting and driving dumb.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It's hard to get a fender bender or commit vehicular manslaughter when there are no cars or people around and I am in control of my vehicle.

My texts are not business critical. If I feel like the text is urgent enough to warrant an immediate response, I will respond. If I don't feel I'm in an area where it's safe enough to respond immediately, I will either wait or pull over and stop my car.

I think you just missed the point where I stated that I don't text in situations in which I feel it would be unsafe to do so. If motorcycles are weaving around me, people are crossing the street, and kids are outside playing, paramedics are flying up behind me, etc. I won't text. It's really just as simple as that.
what you fail to realize is that driving requires your full attention, even if there are no cops around, or the road is running straight and empty. you never know what will happen when you take your eyes off the road even for a couple of seconds.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
No, I do not text with cops in plain sight. I have a feature of my new phone that allows any incoming texts to be read aloud through my in-car bluetooth and gives me a chance to reply by voice. Still, I have to verify that the reply is actually what I said and make changes if it isn't. I tend to only do this on straighter roads with no cars or pedestrians close by or at stoplights. If it's super unsafe or I need to use Google Maps, I will pull off into a parking lot. It really isn't a big deal at all for me. Some people simply cannot operate a car and a cell phone at the same time, while others of us do it with no issue.
Translation: "I haven't killed anyone so far, so obviously it's completely safe to do."

Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
No, I do not text with cops in plain sight. I have a feature of my new phone that allows any incoming texts to be read aloud through my in-car bluetooth and gives me a chance to reply by voice. Still, I have to verify that the reply is actually what I said and make changes if it isn't. I tend to only do this on straighter roads with no cars or pedestrians close by or at stoplights. If it's super unsafe or I need to use Google Maps, I will pull off into a parking lot. It really isn't a big deal at all for me. Some people simply cannot operate a car and a cell phone at the same time, while others of us do it with no issue.
Can I nominate this for one of the top-5 most idiotic posts on C-D of all time?

I am stunned that anyone can do something so stupid and say it "really isn't a big deal at all."

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 04-28-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Can I nominate this for the top-5 most idiotic posts on C-D of all time?

I am stunned that anyone can do something so stupid and say it "really isn't a big deal at all."
Seconded.
When I was MUCH younger (1970s and '80s) I remember making comments like "I think I drive better after having a few drinks." I absolutely cringe when I think of the times I drove home from a bar or party. The fact that I have never had a DUI or gotten into an accident as a result was pure luck, not as a result of my mad drunk driving skillz.

I am sure everyone who's been involved in a texting/cell phone-related accident has smugly maintained at least once that they are a superior breed of driver who can handle texting and driving, unlike the majority.

Yeah, right.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Billy, I'm in my 40s, but I've never understood why teens and twenty-somethings take the brunt of the criticism for cell phone use while driving...
Well look at it from the insurance companies point of view. Historically teens and young people have statistically had more accidents (insurance claims).

Now add to that texting and that they are not looking where they are going... That statistically is going to make the accident rate (and insurance rates) even higher for that group.

And THAT is what counts! (For traffic safety - deaths. For insurance - claims.)

Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,042,534 times
Texting and driving are a recipe for disaster. Please don't. There isn't a text message that can't wait till you stop your car.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Can I nominate this for one of the top-5 most idiotic posts on C-D of all time?

Thirded. My jaw dropped when I saw that post. Arrogant and dangerous behavior that sadly puts the lives of others at risk. Any driver with any experience knows that there is no time when it is safe to do such things and that unexpected hazards can come out of nowhere when you are absolutely sure there's no such thing around.

And if you have to take your eyes off the road to proof and correct outgoing texts, then your blue tooth is useless as a texting safety measure. Shame on you for even pretending to think that isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive