Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times

Advertisements

67 Ford Mustang (the car I learned to drive in)

Ford F 150

And my personal favorite....Harley Davidson.....

This is in my future

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
A Ford F150
A 1957 Chevy
A Ford Tempo

Hard work, glory days gone by and terminal decline about sums up the America of today.

Either that or just three armored Humvees with "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE --- USA-- USA-- USA-- !!!!" painted on the side.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:55 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Honda Gold Wing 1980-2010
Honda Accord 1982-forever
Schwinn Stingray 1963-77

All made in USA, all leaders in their classes.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pickup truck
SUV
Muscle car
This sadly sums it up. I don't know why we aren't real drivers in the US. We like big with cup holders or something loud like a muscle car that says, "look at me, look at me". I wish our cars were driving machines like a Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes, but that would be Germany and a lot of Europe where people take driving a bit more serious.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This sadly sums it up. I don't know why we aren't real drivers in the US. We like big with cup holders or something loud like a muscle car that says, "look at me, look at me". I wish our cars were driving machines like a Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes, but that would be Germany and a lot of Europe where people take driving a bit more serious.

You do realize Mercedes and BMW offer reclining rear seats, massage front seats as well as a host of electronics that actually distract you from driving right?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callendargirl View Post
If you had to choose three vehicles that best represent America, what would they be and why?
What three vehicles can best represent what Americans stand for, history , or even stereotypes.
Go!
1) Rolls-Royce (any model)

Nothing says "I make a lot of money so I can do whatever the heck I want with it no matter how selfish it may be" than a Rolls-Royce. Sure, we all think a classic Rolls is sexy, but then again, so are many other classic cars. This car stands for American greed more than any other in existence.

2) Half-ton pickup truck (any model)

Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, etc.... it hardly matters which one you choose. No vehicle is more American than a pickup truck, and no pickup truck is more popular than a half-ton model. Americans will preserve their pickup trucks with a zeal not found for their regular cars. Let's face it - think about the number of 1980's-era Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge pickup trucks you see on the road. (I see them all the time.) Now think about the number of 1980's-era "regular vehicles" you see out there. Ain't many, that's for sure... and these days most of 'em sport antique vehicle license plates. Gas prices soared in 2008. What were the two best-selling vehicles in America for that year? The F-series and the Silverado. The utility of a pickup truck can never be disputed. Get one with a crew cab and you get family-hauling capacity, cargo-hauling capacity, and the safety of a large vehicle that sits higher off the road than a regular car, all in one package.

3) Toyota Corolla

Introduced at a time when Americans didn't think they needed small cars, then present for a time when Americans were desperate for small cars, now omnipresent because it is uber-reliable and very economical for just about any purpose, the Corolla represents America's increasing focus on conservation and efficiency. As Americans have recognized the need to be efficient, the Corolla has increased in popularity. What was once a laughing stock has now become one of the most popular small cars out there. Sure, other models have come and gone... the Camry, introduced in the 1980's, is one of the two best-selling cars out there... the Focus claims to be the world's best-selling small car... but the Corolla has been the rock - the one that is always there, claiming the same place in the automotive world that it always has. And that is why you see tons of them on the road.

Honorable mention:

Chevrolet Corvette

The speed machine. When introduced, it changed the whole automotive landscape. To this day it is still one of the most sought-after sports cars, over 60 years after it was first introduced. I've ridden in a Corvette. They're cramped and you can't carry much stuff in them, not to mention how the two seats won't haul a family. It's a terribly impractical car, yet it's still wildly popular. Thus, this car represents how Americans are obsessed with power and speed even at the expense of practicality.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default choose 3 vehicles to represent America

Model T Ford- Represents America's need to drive in the first place and is responsible for starting the whole thing.

Jeep Wrangler- Represents America's need to drive over larger rocks and vicariously go topless in public. In a nutshell, symbolizes our belief that we are free, reality notwithstanding.

HMMWV- Represents America's need to blow $h!# up in various 3rd world hell-holes and take their oil so we can keep driving in the future.

But why stop at three? There are so many iconic cars, the list should be more like "1000 cars that represent America".

Last edited by Chango; 06-20-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,458,844 times
I forgot one. Nothing like spreading 'democracy' around the world, USA style, after say, a democratic election does not go the way Wall Street speculators want it to go!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
67 Ford Mustang (the car I learned to drive in)

Ford F 150

And my personal favorite....Harley Davidson.....

This is in my future
I wouldn't mind riding that. The bike isn't bad, either.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Ford Model T (first mass-produced automobile available to middle-class people)
'57 Chevy BelAir (an icon)
Ford 4WD pickup (emblematic of the independent, can-do American spirit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive