Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 AM

14,562 posts, read 23,088,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
My understanding is that you will find natural oils such as linseed oil or coconut oil in many of the carnuba wax.
They are present in small amounts, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't have any links handy (posting from my iPhone) but there have been lots of people who tested this on various detailing forums and shown repeatedly that there was no difference in the water beading properties on cars before and after having been washed with dish soaps. Also, as C8N mentioned below, polishes and glazes (usually oil based, which carnuba wax is not) that were popular on single stage paints can be stripped by dish soap, but modern clear coats have basically no use for these products anymore.

It seems the general consensus is that this rumor started because people would wash their car with dish soap and not rinse properly (needs hot water). As a result, the dish soap leaves behind a film which can inhibit water beading, thus leading people to believe it had stripped the wax.
That last part is interesting and if true, then that's basically giving more reason you shouldn't use dish soap to wash a car. I mean, seriously, who is going to know to or want to use hot water to wash their car?

I'm sticking with my idea that dish soap shouldn't be used to wash cars.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM

14,562 posts, read 23,088,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That last part is interesting and if true, then that's basically giving more reason you shouldn't use dish soap to wash a car. I mean, seriously, who is going to know to or want to use hot water to wash their car?

I'm sticking with my idea that dish soap shouldn't be used to wash cars.
I agree on both counts, though to be fair there are lower grade car washes that can leave similar film.

Also, there are automotive soaps on the market that claim to be able to strip waxes (Iron-X Snow Foam and Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss to name a couple) at higher concentrations.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,276 times
Well, at least he's not sitting on his porch staring at your house 24 hours a day.

I have a neighbor who does this and it is creepy as hell.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,664,671 times
He has bad OCD...just ignore him...

Old 07-15-2014, 09:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Washing cars down here in our heat and humidity is pure misery. I'm usually drenched in sweat by the time I'm done with mine.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
He's obviously a contract killer making sure trace evidence doesn't stay on his car.
Exactly!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
Hmmm ... ... ... my car is filthy ... FILTHY, I tell ya! She's a very sick, sweet ride, always garaged when she's not out for a spin with her "mama" (me) and she's black and in desperate need of a wash because she's all dusty. Say ... if ya don't mind, could ya get that OCD neighbor of yours to swing by my crib so he can wash and pamper my baby???

Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Maybe she got tired of buying batteries and bought one with a gas engine?

My friend used to yell across the apartment, "Shut off the damn weedeater and go to bed!"

Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,678,293 times
So does no one stop to think that maybe this guy takes pride in what he has worked to obtain? Maybe he takes a lot of pride in a home that he worked hard for. Same with the car. He wants it to look the best it can, so he is willing to put forth whatever effort is necessary to keep it at its best. Maybe it makes him happy and he has nothing else to do. I personally find cleaning vehicles to be therapeutic. If I've had a busy day at work I can come home, shut my brain off and clean my vehicles and not think about work.

I'm much the same way as this guy with my home and vehicles. My wife helps, but I clean most of our house. Not because she can't but because it's the nicest thing I've ever owned so I am constantly keeping it the way that makes me happy. If you don't find me cleaning in the house, I'm outside working in our yard (I even rake the grass clippings), our flowerbeds, or cleaning our vehicles. Homes and cars are expensive, so why not maintain them so they continue to look new for years to come?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive