Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I see your point...
But I have no clue how to jump a car,
even though I've watched how it's done more than a few times.
For some reason it just seems complicated, lol
No, but the person sent out to do a jump start and representing their company should know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I also told them to step back away from the batteries before trying to start the car. I know that if everything is done right, all should go well. But I also know that Murphy's Law means if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong and when it comes to car batteries, that could mean an explosion.
Back in the early 90's when I working in the towing industry I had a battery explode on me, luckily it was bone dry and I was using a quick connect jumper set. Connected to the car battery, plugged into my truck, and boom! Blew the sealed caps off the battery, scared the crap out of the customer and myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
OK, I just got back from the gym. Before I left, two ladies in the parking lot called to me asking for help. One lady was wearing medical scrubs and worked at a children's clinic. I assume she was either a CNA, LPN, or RN. She was in an SUV. The other lady was in a pickup truck of a local auto parts store. When I arrived, they asked me how to connect the jumper cables. The SUV lady had called for help, the auto parts store sent the other lady out to help jump start, and neither one knew how to connect jumper cables. Once I got the cables connected, the first lady quickly tried the starter way too soon. When it didn't turn over, both ladies assumed it wasn't connected right. I told them to wait a few minutes. Once I waited about 5 minutes, I started her SUV.

I can almost forgive the first lady from not knowing how to connect jumper cables, but I can't forgive the woman working at an auto parts store sent out to help the lady from not knowing.
I agree with you about the auto parts store employee...I admit though I don't know how to jump a car. To be honest I'm afraid to, because I'm paranoid I'll mess up connecting it and blow battery acid all over myself.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's simple.

Red to + and Black to -. Wait 5 minutes or so with the key in the off position of the car to be jumped. After that, start it up and disconnect the cables. Everyone who drives needs to know this in case they are ever stranded.
Whatever happened to connecting the negative clamp to a ground on the car being jumped, rather than the battery terminal, to keep the spark away from the battery? I often find a good ground near/on the hood latch, which gets the spark at least a couple feet away from the battery.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Most people don't know how to jump a vehicle the right way. You don't connect + to + and - to -. You connect the positives first and the very last connection is the the negative cable to a good ground on the car with the dead battery. YOU DONT CONNECT DIRECT TO THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL on the battery.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
this day and age,,the battery should have a QR scan code that anyone can scan- and it goes to a video on how to jump a battery

if not a qr code, then, a web address

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
A lot of people try IMMEDIATELY after hooking up the jumper cables. If they do that and it's my vehicle giving power, then I disconnect and leave.

I usually let the vehicle giving power sit at a higher idle for 10-15 minutes (to get more diodes in the alternator going), DISCONNECT, then have the other party try.
You sound like a delight to deal with!

Consider it a teaching moment. The average person knows very little about cars. Show them how to do it correctly and tell them why they should wait. You're willing to stick around for 10-15 minutes, so make them more informed instead of just driving off in disgust!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
this day and age,,the battery should have a QR scan code that anyone can scan- and it goes to a video on how to jump a battery

if not a qr code, then, a web address
You are right about that. This day and age most people can't do anything without their "smart" phone or having an app for it.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Whatever happened to connecting the negative clamp to a ground on the car being jumped, rather than the battery terminal, to keep the spark away from the battery? I often find a good ground near/on the hood latch, which gets the spark at least a couple feet away from the battery.

Well now I'm confused again. lol I thought jump starting was supposed to be simple, but it's one of those things that scares the crap of me and I've never had to do it.

I bought me one of those portable charging stations with the red and black clamps and keep it in my truck. At least I don't need a donor vehicle with this thing.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
I use to have to change batteries on a 48 volt swing reach hilo they weighed over 2,500 lbs. Seen a 36 volt hilo battery cook through steel and blowup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive