Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My Volt will go 40 miles on a charge. I only drive about 12 to work. We have free EV charging at work. I recharge there. I drive home. We have an L2 charger in our garage. I charge more if I like.

I RARELY use gas. If I do, in straight gas hybrid mode, I get 44 mpg highway. Around 40mpg in town.

Volt has regen braking, so you do get a bit of battery power back while driving.

When it was in the teens here last winter, the gas hybrid engine would kick in to offer an "assist" now and then. Still didn't use much gas and my electric only dropped by about 5 miles to 35 on a charge.

I don't think the Volt is much more expensive than any other similarly-appointed vehicle.

I think most people who are highly critical of PHEVs and EVs haven't spent much time driving one of them.
And the Volt is old technology to what is being planned. As soon as it was launched the next car was being worked on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
]I don't think the Volt is much more expensive than any other similarly-appointed vehicle.

I think most people who are highly critical of PHEVs and EVs haven't spent much time driving one of them.
I agree with you. I was definitely among the crass when it came to Priuses, for example. Then I worked at a Toyota store, and they really truly grew on me. I would sooner have a Prius than a Camry any day of the week.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Not enough charging stations. The argument that "most customers don't drive that far!!!!" is debunked by the fact that many customers have that oddball drive they need to make that exceeds 40 miles.
But over 50% of households have more than one vehicle. Keeping one car for use only as a commuter is pretty common already. I don't see how it's any different if that car is electric.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But over 50% of households have more than one vehicle. Keeping one car for use only as a commuter is pretty common already. I don't see how it's any different if that car is electric.
For us, the Leaf has actually become our 'main' vehicle, and the ICE cars are the 'secondary' vehicles that we only use when we want to travel beyond a certain distance, which isn't that often, or when someone else is already using the Leaf.

Trips to the beach, shopping, visiting friends, etc. are all within easy driving range of the Leaf.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Is the future of electric cars dim?

certainly not.. future is GREAT! and we have come so FAR!!!

My company had plug-in parking lots in 1976... I helped build many EV conversions and we had a lot of fun with them. Since I live in the mtns and boonies I went Diesel.

50mpg since 1976, no OPEC, Dinosaurs, or toxic batteries required.

I appreciate being able to 'bump start' when needed. I always park on a hill..

I will add HHV technology to my diesels, should get me over 75mpg.

Electric is fine if you live in the city / paved roads / and don't have to drive 80 miles one way for groceries.

This will do! for us 'grease burners'. (Thanks to Mr Sharkey for building his own 'StealthRabbit!"
Mr.Sharkey's Pusher Trailer
EV Pusher is a car-and-a-half, and a homemade biodiesel electric hybrid

Join the fun here
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/

My favorite was a MGB-GT with a Nice looking battery pack under the rear glass. (Our conversion was Red!)
https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=M...w=1272&bih=704
Here is one from Down Under
http://electricmg.wordpress.com/
and one closer to home
http://www.mossmotoring.com/mgb-gt-reborn-electric/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-05-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Electrics are great but batteries leave a lot to be desired. I used a EV1 many years ago, a Leaf in recent years, and had experience with a Tesla recently. All of them share the some issues... Range and Re-charge time.

As other have stated... when I can get range (in all seasons) and recharge time more comparable to a petroleum fueled car I will buy, but not until then. Much of the public agrees.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 AM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
EVs work very well for 2 car households.

I have an old gas SUV and a new 2014 Ford Focus Electric.

I use the Ford every day for commuting and errands. Cost = $240/month lease (0 down) and $15/month electricity. Plug it in over night = full battery every morning. If I forget twice (=range becomes dicey), there's a Blink fast charging station at work.

I use the SUV for long range travel. Cost = $0/month (10 years old, paid off) and $10/month gas (it stands around almost all the time now).

So for me, the EV is perfect for almost 100% of my driving needs and due to the low lease payments and extremely low "fuel" costs it beats the gas alternative. I'm puzzled why households with more than one car don't consider an EV.

It is also super fun to drive, due to full torque at 0 rpm and it is fully loaded. I love it !!!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
As other have stated... when I can get range (in all seasons) and recharge time more comparable to a petroleum fueled car I will buy, but not until then. Much of the public agrees.
Right, but nearly every type of car on the road won't be bought by much of the public. I'd never buy a pick-up or a convertible or a two-seater, but nobody argues they are somehow failed types of cars.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
THis is a good point that a lot of people don't realize. 66% of all housholds have 2 or more cars already, Replace on of those with an EV and you're set for commuting and errand running on electricity. And that number of cars is way more than th emanufacturers can make now, so it would take a LONG time to replace that many cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
What do you really need both for on a day to day basis, though, when you can have a "full tank" every morning when you go out to the car to go to work? It's a paradigm shift in how you think about transportation and realistically looking at your day to day usage.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM

357 posts, read 444,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Electric vehicles won't really be popular until battery technology gets to a point where they have similar range and refueling/charging times as gas vehicles.
Yes, and unless we as a people concentrate our R&D dollars, using government as a vehicle, to develop better battery technology, we'll be buying these high tech batteries from China and other countries that are heavily subsidizing this technology development TODAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive