Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Facts are our friends. The Teslas S with the premium battery has a 300 mile range, so it could do that now.

And it will only get better. Batteries are getting smaller, lighter, and cheaper, and there is new technology coming very soon which will accelerate that trend.
In my example, a person is already at 245 miles, meaning they have a whopping 15 miles of driving left before a charge, hardly a comfortable margin, especially at the risk at being on the side of the road waiting for a tow, versus just having to pull into a gas station and take a few minutes to fill up and get another few hundred miles out of it.

Seems everyone is dodging the issue of range and refill times; many people need and/or are comfortable with being able to drive a few hundred miles and not have to worry about trying to find a way to recharge, and allotting the time to recharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Seems everyone is dodging the issue of range and refill times; .
the only people dodging it are the people that don't realize that it's not actually as big a deal as you make it out to be for the vast majority of drivers IF they are more realistic about their daily use. if you start out every day with a full tank, you're better off than the person that refills every week.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:07 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The idea of an electric car has been around since the inception of the gasoline car and still an unpopular concept with drivers/ buyers. There is no need for the government to subsidize any technology, especially one consumers don't want..
I agree. Government (tax payers) should not subsidize any product or industry.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
A Prius hybrid doesn't make economic sense,
In London there is a pollution/congestion charge if you drive into the city centre. Hybrids/EVs are free and parking is free and the national road fund license is free. Then the improved mpg on top. If you need to go into the centre each day it pays for itself very quickly. London is full of hybrid and EV cars. The Prius is a common sight. There are many EV charging points in the streets.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree. Government (tax payers) should not subsidize any product or industry.
Clean EV's and hybrids are given an economic lift to get them off the ground and accepted. Once most cars are EVs then the financial incentives will be dropped. We cannot go on slowly killing ourselves.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
In my example, a person is already at 245 miles, meaning they have a whopping 15 miles of driving left before a charge, hardly a comfortable margin, especially at the risk at being on the side of the road waiting for a tow, versus just having to pull into a gas station and take a few minutes to fill up and get another few hundred miles out of it.
It depends on where you live. EV charging points are plentiful near me.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I don't know what the answer to this is because I can't seem to get a reliable answer of how much oil is left.
In less than 100 years over half of the known oil reserves have been used up.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Is the future of electric cars dim? No. Very bright. Batteries will continue to improve, and that's what it's going to take.

The statement that most drivers average less than 40 miles per day means nothing. I might take a 1200 mile trip once each month and I'd still only be averaging 40 miles per day if the car is parked the rest of the month. As it is, in my job I'm on the road 4-5 days each month for 300-400 miles each, then roughly 100 miles the rest of the days. Personal drives sometimes amount to 700-800 miles per day. I'd not want a car that wouldn't do that.

But I have every confidence that it's only a matter of time before electric cars will be going the distance, either through long-lasting battery power or quick recharging/exchange at service stations.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Clean EV's and hybrids are given an economic lift to get them off the ground and accepted. Once most cars are EVs then the financial incentives will be dropped. We cannot go on slowly killing ourselves.
When it makes economic sense, the market will support electric and hybrid cars. We don't need government to subsidize these cars at the expense of hard working tax payers. Government subsidies transfer wealth from workers to the rich.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
But I have every confidence that it's only a matter of time before electric cars will be going the distance, either through long-lasting battery power or quick recharging/exchange at service stations.
Wonderful. Then you don't need taxpayers to subsidize your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive