Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Anyone who knows anything about internal combustion engines or mechanics in general is going to tell you that your friend is an idiot. There is no telling the severity of premature wear his engine may have suffered without taking it apart. What I do know is that the people I have known who have owned automobiles that ran for years with little to no major mechanical failures were the ones who followed the manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedures, starting with changing the oil every 3000 miles.

On another note, stories like this are why I NEVER buy used vehicles.
No manufacturer of a mainstream vehicle recommends 3000 mile oil changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
.....the manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedures, starting with changing the oil every 3000 miles...........

Few if any manufacturers recommend 3000 mile oil changes these days except maybe for exotic turbo engines, or severe service. Routine service intervals are 5000 miles, 7500, or even 10,000 or more.

Don in Austin

Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
What I do know is that the people I have known who have owned automobiles that ran for years with little to no major mechanical failures were the ones who followed the manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedures, starting with changing the oil every 3000 miles.

On another note, stories like this are why I NEVER buy used vehicles.
Does anyone besides the quick lube place recommend 3k mile oil changes anymore?

Sounds like a big waste of money to me. Most vehicle these days are 5k+ for oil changes like my Scion and Toyota did (same manufacturer, I know). BMW recommends 10k miles. GM has the oil life meter.

What other things I'd want to know about the OP's friend driving 19k miles were the conditions he drove in (hot & dusty, did he tow) etc...

My father has driven oil to 14k miles before on a Yukon Denali and it ran fine for years until my father ended up trading it in for something smaller and more fuel efficient.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
On our 2014 Escape Ford recommends changing it when the Vehicle Health Report says to, or the message comes on. The oil life is based on miles, time, and driving conditions as stored by the computer. I run the report 2-3 times between changes and so far have always changed it at 7,500 despite the report showing the life still at 30-35% at that point. Probably would go 10,000 but I just can't bring myself to wait that long. And that's regular oil, not synthetic.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,820 times
Quote:
So you don't think that the heat from the engine brakes down oil viscosity over time?
Of course it does. But you're continually adding fresh oil as you top it up, which you'd be doing anyhow even with complete oil changes, unless you're one of those who changes their oil at 3,000 or wherever and then forgets about it until the next service.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

There are some current car engines that are notorious for building up sludge and affecting oil pump pick-up or oil circulation leading to catastrophic engine failure, but I don't recall the KIA engine having those problems.
The Hyundai/Kia Theta engine has been known to have some sludge issues if neglected. I know they've denied a few warranty claims because of it.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Synthetic Oil and quality filters can get you to 20k changes.

You can always do an oil analysis for $20 of you have doubts.

I prefer to change the filter @ 10k and add a fresh qt of synthetic.

I have 3 million fleet miles without a tow to the fix-it shop.

YMMV

(If you have sludge... you have some more serious problems (Moisture)

Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
This is what happens when you don't change your oil. Oil is still relatively cheap. Change it.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM

74 posts, read 615,158 times
Some additional information - we are from NC so this car was driven in typical NC weather - some cold, some hot, dust a minimum, and no towing. My friend has had a tough year - some things going on and just let me tell you, was not thinking or concerned about the house, car, and other things that we normally try to take care of and enjoy.

I know it was not synthetic oil in my friend's KIA.

As for me, I am old school and still get the oil changed every 3,000-4,000 miles. My car is a new GM and it uses that new Dextrol blend but old habits die hard for me when it comes to timely oil changes.

And, as Annuvin summed up pretty well - I don't buy used cars either.

Last edited by Avantiguy; 09-21-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantiguy View Post
Some additional information - we are from NC so this car was driven in typical NC weather - some cold, some hot, dust a minimum, and no towing. My friend has had a tough year - some things going on and just let me tell you, was not thinking or concerned about the house, car, and other things that we normally try to take care of and enjoy.

As for me, I am old school and still get the oil changed every 3,000-4,000 miles. My car is a new GM and it uses that new Dextrol blend but old habits die hard for me when it comes to timely oil changes.
What does your new GM's Owner's Manual say? I know my new Ford F150's says to go by the maintenance minder instead of holding to mileage (and as someone else mentioned, only high performance engines and those under severe duty had 3000 mile changes. I had a 1979 Pontiac which recommended oil at 7500 and filter at 15000.). The reasons/justifications given in the Manual are lower operating costs and less waste of resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive