Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 AM

74 posts, read 615,158 times

Advertisements

North Beach:

The manual instructs to use the maintenance reminder as your gauge in determining when the oil is changed.

However, I still stick to the old 3 month/3,000 mile rule out of habit even though I know the oil I am getting changed in my car remains perfectly serviceable. I get 15% off at my dealership for being an established customer (10 plus cars in 20 years) so I'm ok with it. I drive roundtrip about 50 miles a day at posted speeds ranging from 35 to 70 mph.

Old school - ok with it - realize it may be wasteful but with me, old habits are hard to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
I used to car pool with a guy that owned a '67 Chevy that had never had its oil changed... he would top it off occasionally, sometimes only when the oil pressure light flickered. It was still going at 100K+ miles when he gave it away.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I used to car pool with a guy that owned a '67 Chevy that had never had its oil changed... he would top it off occasionally, sometimes only when the oil pressure light flickered. It was still going at 100K+ miles when he gave it away.

I hope he just gave it away for free!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The car was primarily driven on the highway at highway speeds of 55 mph or higher.
You know, I was going to say: taking your car out on the highway regularly and really letting it rip, getting that engine good and hot...it's one of the best things you can do for any engine.

About the worst thing you can do to any engine, is let it just sit w/o driving for long periods. The oil - old or new - needs to get spread around to prevent pitting and internal rust. Even new oil won't prevent that.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
My 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo SS goes about 10K between oil changes. The car tells you when it needs to be changed. Why waste $60+ every 3K when you really can go 10K? So 19K really isn't as insane as it sounds unless you're talking about a clunker from the 80's. And the Monte takes a blended oil. Every the 2010 Dodge Journey I just traded in would go between 5K and 6K. Again, the car tells you when it's time.

That 3K is not set in stone. That's sooooo old school thinking. My dad's been a mechanic for well over 40 years and never had me change my oil every 3K even when I started driving in the 90's because it wasn't needed since I did all highway driving.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, I was going to say: taking your car out on the highway regularly and really letting it rip, getting that engine good and hot...it's one of the best things you can do for any engine.

About the worst thing you can do to any engine, is let it just sit w/o driving for long periods. The oil - old or new - needs to get spread around to prevent pitting and internal rust. Even new oil won't prevent that.
Correct, rev'ing it at high RPMs for a few minutes allows it to burn out carbon buildup, this is also known as an Italian tune-up (easier in a manual car obviously).

Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantiguy View Post
As for me, I am old school and still get the oil changed every 3,000-4,000 miles. My car is a new GM and it uses that new Dextrol blend but old habits die hard for me when it comes to timely oil changes.
In other words you choose to ignore huge advances in engines and oil over the last few decades. So you also choose to over spend on oil changes with no evidence to show it is money well spent.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
If you don't think there is wear in the engine and think the filter is doing its job, you might be surprised to see what is on a magnet drain plug.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
In other words you choose to ignore huge advances in engines and oil over the last few decades. So you also choose to over spend on oil changes with no evidence to show it is money well spent.
If it's his money, and it gives him peace of mind, why do you give a ****?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
I'm a mechanic from the very OLD SCHOOL along with being the son of a mechanic so some things are hard to change.

But then again I don't drink, smoke or use drugs so those extra oil changes don't hurt my pocket change.

As for the Frantz TP....I loved it in my Cad for 3-1/2 yrs of never draining the oil or removing the plug. I just replaced the roll of TP...added a qt and the dip stick was always Honey colored.

Always bought my Cads with 45-50K on the clock from above avg caring people....a lesson to learn even today.

After using that canister in previous Cads it had started to get acid eaten and when trying to buy a NEW unit was not available so let it go with the car..... but understand they are available today for some cars.

Different driving conditions and part of the country driven will have a lot to do about if and when to change the oil etc.

For me makes no difference if it's 500 or 5000 miles when dirty it's dirty and needs a change...cheap for me in a custom Turbo unit I built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive