Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

I have been tempted lately to buy a 4-seat convertible in the 35-50K range. I was comparing the Lexus to the Mercedes hard top convertible. In comparing the two, I noticed:
  • Lexus' design is more functional and the seats are more comfortable;
  • Both, sadly, take premium fuel only;
  • Mercedes wins in style; and
  • Mercedes maintenance fees frighten me.

Are Lexus maintenance costs significantly less?

In the everyone's opinion, is Infinity a better deal than either of the above?

I do not see any other cars in this class except the Jaguar, but that seems too expensive.

There is Volvo but I know little about about these cars, nor do they have much sex appeal to them. Does anyone know about Volvo maintenance costs, costs of parts, and need to use premium, etc?

I did consider a Mustang, and while fairly nice and cheaper, I am not thrilled with the styling. I prefer something a bit more rounded, not as aggressive looking. Camaro is a no go, just like Mazda Miata, Honda 2K, Audi TT etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Why does premium fuel factor into the decision? Is there none available where you're at?

Old 10-29-2014, 12:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
As someone who has owned several Mercedes (and currently owns a CL V8), as well as a couple of Lexus in the past, I have to say the maintenance costs and frequency of repairs on the Mercedes are often grossly overstated. In fact, in my small sample size, Mercedes have been better to me than Lexus. Of course my experience is probably different than you may read online, and I do most (90%) of my own mechanical work on all my cars, but I find Lexus to be far more "delicate" than Mercedes. I own a 4runner as well and it feels the same way. The interior bits get damaged extremely easily, nuts and bolts seem to be made out of softer steel, and parts are just as expensive when it comes to repairs. Mercedes are a lot more complicated and have a lot more on board systems, so keep that in mind. But I have to say Mercedes certainly "feel" safer and more solid than my old Lexus or 4runner.

BTW, the way they feel and drive on the road cannot be compared either, IMO. Especially if you spend a lot of time over 70mph.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
How can anyone possibly go past the Lexus? Honestly they're by far the most refined automobiles known to man. They're meticulously refined and sophisticated with opulence and luxury.

Get the Lexus ISC, not only is it the epitome of luxury but you will also enjoy Lexus reliability and dependability. The ISC behaves like a coupe that is able to drop the top

Do yourself and everyone a big favor by removing the euro trash car brands from the list!

Last edited by yowps3; 10-29-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 05:09 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
How can anyone possibly go past the Lexus? Honestly they're by far the most refined automobiles known to man. They're meticulously refined and sophisticated with opulence and luxury.
LOL

This is so hilariously funny that it just has to be a level. (I hope.)

I went from a Lexus SC430 to a Jaguar XJL. There's really no comparison.

At. All.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I have never seen many Mercedes my clients own since they drive up with their
loaner cars! That said...I would by a Volvo convertible in a second...
people will argue the safety is the same in all of them...but you do the research.

A friend just got some Toyota convertible with curves...better than your thought of a Mustang, imo.
Certainly a savings from some other cars.
So sorry I couldn't give you info on the Volvo's maintenance...they are
so reliable. I adore them...but driving all of them will help you...ergonomics are so imp.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
If your buying a new, $50K luxury convertible... then what is the difference of a few pennies more a fill up with premium fuel or the price of an oil change? I doubt either would stop someone willing to spend $50K on a new, luxury item. If either of those will make or break the budget this kind of car may be out of your price range.

How do the two cost on a site like Edmunds or KBB in the True Cost to Own calculations?

Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
What about a BMW 435i / 428i convertible?

Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
You're looking to spend up to $50K on a car and worry about it requiring premium gas? That makes no sense. If you can afford the $50k you certainly can afford the extra couple of bucks a week in gas.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
Read Consumer Reports. Some of the cars mentioned have really bad reliability issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive