Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

I don't know sorry if I mis-categorized this question on the wrong category but hey that's how it is and anyways skateboards are vehicles.
Anyways I want to know how to detail my razor.but I don't know what products to use.would it be ok to use any of the above.
So should I use wd-40,meguiar's,armor all,purple power or simple green?would it ruin any of the parts such as the bearings,brakes,clamps.if so to purchase one on my next visit to somewhere they could sell these items such as auto parts stores,home repair stores,bike shops,grocery stores or an auto shop.
Ps I included bicycle and skateboard also cause they also have bearings like scooters do.
Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
It's not so much the vehicle, as where it's used (outdoors & in the sun?), and the materials.

WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a penetrating-oil, a very very thin oil that's made to be wicked into cracks of corrosion inside bolts and nuts and the like, to dissolve and loosen them. It's so thin that not enough gets left behind to help as an operational lube. If you ever use WD-40, (and I've gone through many a can), you have to remember to wipe it clean and then apply the correct lube when you re-assemble it.

The other products would work on the materials they normally are used for.
IE: Armor All is a chemical you apply to old, sun-dried plastic (where UV has accelerated the evaporation out of the plastic, the plasticizer, the part that keeps plastic supple). Too much age & UV makes it brittle, which is why old beater car dashboards have cracks. You wipe down the plastic that's exposed with Armor All to add this part back in so the plastic lasts longer, (and coincidentally looks better too).
This applies to any exposed plastic, so if your razr or bike or such has plastic, then yeah, go for it. But do be careful and know that it leaves the plastic extra slippery. I just had my car detailed, including a wipe down of all my interior plastic parts with AA, and to be thorough, they wiped down the gas and brake pedal. Not needed for sure, <shrug> but I never can remember to tell them to omit it. However, for the next day or so, I have to pay attention to braking as my foot will tend to slide off.

The other products are similar. use them on your stuff just like they are listed for use on a car of motorcycle.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
It's not so much the vehicle, as where it's used (outdoors & in the sun?), and the materials.

WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a penetrating-oil, a very very thin oil that's made to be wicked into cracks of corrosion inside bolts and nuts and the like, to dissolve and loosen them. It's so thin that not enough gets left behind to help as an operational lube. If you ever use WD-40, (and I've gone through many a can), you have to remember to wipe it clean and then apply the correct lube when you re-assemble it.

IE: Armor All is a chemical you apply to old, sun-dried plastic (where UV has accelerated the evaporation out of the plastic, the plasticizer, the part that keeps plastic supple). Too much age & UV makes it brittle, which is why old beater car dashboards have cracks. You wipe down the plastic that's exposed with Armor All to add this part back in so the plastic lasts longer, (and coincidentally looks better too).
This applies to any exposed plastic, so if your razr or bike or such has plastic, then yeah, go for it. But do be careful and know that it leaves the plastic extra slippery. I just had my car detailed, including a wipe down of all my interior plastic parts with AA, and to be thorough, they wiped down the gas and brake pedal. Not needed for sure, <shrug> but I never can remember to tell them to omit it. However, for the next day or so, I have to pay attention to braking as my foot will tend to slide off.

The other products are similar. use them on your stuff just like they are listed for use on a car of motorcycle.
Yeah not so much explanation out there buddy.also you have some corrections to make.but who cares
So you're saying i can use purple power in my razor?if so I can purchase next time

Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

Are you ganna reply

Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I don't know sorry if I mis-categorized this question on the wrong category but hey that's how it is and anyways skateboards are vehicles.
Anyways I want to know how to detail my razor.but I don't know what products to use.would it be ok to use any of the above.
So should I use wd-40,meguiar's,armor all,purple power or simple green?would it ruin any of the parts such as the bearings,brakes,clamps.if so to purchase one on my next visit to somewhere they could sell these items such as auto parts stores,home repair stores,bike shops,grocery stores or an auto shop.
Ps I included bicycle and skateboard also cause they also have bearings like scooters do.
Peace
I can tell you this; Simple Green is a degreaser, how powerful depends on what you use it for, but it is a detergent. wd-40, is a penetrating oil, also works as a solvent, it will remove grease from components, and no metal surfave will ever be paintable if it's been sprayed on it. Amor All dies more than car interiors, have other products for other things.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM

389 posts, read 616,955 times
Soap and water then dry. Unless the manual states to lubricate, they are permanently sealed. WD-40 will wash out factory grease and damage the bearing surfaces. If you have $10, a small tube of Flitz is enough to polish all the aluminum on 100 Razor scooters.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Soap and water then dry. Unless the manual states to lubricate, they are permanently sealed. WD-40 will wash out factory grease and damage the bearing surfaces. If you have $10, a small tube of Flitz is enough to polish all the aluminum on 100 Razor scooters.
What about purple power,clr or las totally awesome

Old 11-16-2014, 12:05 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Armour all will make things shiny but slippery. It is not a good idea for seats, steering wheels or foot pedals.
WD40 I always thought the WD stood for Water Dispersion so it is like a light oil that will keep water from getting to metal but it does wear off. I have had WD40 gum up certain small gears so watch out. It is a general overall lubricant but if you want penetrating oil get penetrating oil.
With any chemical cleaner like purple power you will want to try it on small out of the way spot in case it doesn't react the way you want it to.

Follow the directions when applying this stuff.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Armour all will make things shiny but slippery. It is not a good idea for seats, steering wheels or foot pedals.
WD40 I always thought the WD stood for Water Dispersion so it is like a light oil that will keep water from getting to metal but it does wear off. I have had WD40 gum up certain small gears so watch out. It is a general overall lubricant but if you want penetrating oil get penetrating oil.
With any chemical cleaner like purple power you will want to try it on small out of the way spot in case it doesn't react the way you want it to.

Follow the directions when applying this stuff.
What about meguiars wash and wax anywhere would that work

Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
What about purple power,clr or las totally awesome
CLR will also degrade the grease, unless you're willing to replace the bearings after the job is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive