Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Ok, my parents rented from Enterprise from Colorado for a weekend trip to Minnesota. While in MN someone stole their side mirror.

Returned the car and reported the damage. Cost to replace was $600. We decided to go through our credit card as our insurance has a $500 deductible. CC comes back and says they can't cover damage because rental agreement states that rental was only allowed use in Colorado.

I am requesting a copy of the rental agreement. Parents misplaced their copy so don't have it in front of me.

We rented through Hotwire.com with unlimited miles. Just wondering if it is standard to have this provision on rental agreements that you can't cross state lines?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Doesn't seem normal. I've rented cars at the Enterprise near me that had New Jersey plates (I'm in Maryland) and I've rented a car to go to Connecticut one way that had North Carolina plates on it. Seems like it's fairly normal, even for Enterprise.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Maybe it's in the fine print, but that's news to me. I've rented cars and driven them across many, many states before, sometimes even returning them in different states. No one says anything.

Mike

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I believe you're supposed to let them know what states the vehicle will be traveling in, although few people do. Many companies will allow you travel in the neighboring states, but no further without permission.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Yeah I've rented plenty of cars in the past and only once have they ask if I was going across state lines. I believe it was at Charlotte Int'l Airport. But of course SC is just a few miles down the road.

I don't think they would have any provisions in the rental agreement.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
No one reads the fine print, but if they did, it would show them something like this from Budget: "On occasion, permission for border crossing must be acquired from the rental office directly. Since specific restrictions may apply, it's always best to ask about any cross-border restrictions. Inquire either at the rental counter. . ."

Car Rentals from Budget

Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Was it a local Enterprise or the airport? Local locations tend to be more persnickety when it comes to the vehicle and may have more restrictions in the rental agreement than the airport locations, at least in my experience with Enterprise. You need to check the rental agreement, but there could be a stipulation in the rental agreement that restricts the use of the vehicle. Some rental agencies restrict to one side of the Mississippi, others to neighboring states, so it is conceivable that the agreement could restrict to Colorado, especially given the nature of Enterprise's contracts.

You may see if Hotwire stipulates geographic locations for Colorado rentals, since I have used Hotwire and been assigned Enterprise, and had no trouble going out of one region and into another in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region, but that was an airport location, and the intended use was disclosed during the interrogation in which Enterprise engages, under the guise of customer service. I avoid Enterprise at all costs, but when they are assigned through an opaque rental, when I refuse to pay $250+/day for a premium/luxury car, I will deal with them, though I prefer Enterprise Holding's other companies, Alamo and National. I wonder why under the Enterprise banner the customer handling is so different. Does that product attract a significantly different consumer than the other companies?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Interesting article on the subject here:

How to Rent a Car for Out of State Travel | USA Today

Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Was it a local Enterprise or the airport? Local locations tend to be more persnickety when it comes to the vehicle and may have more restrictions in the rental agreement than the airport locations, at least in my experience with Enterprise. You need to check the rental agreement, but there could be a stipulation in the rental agreement that restricts the use of the vehicle. Some rental agencies restrict to one side of the Mississippi, others to neighboring states, so it is conceivable that the agreement could restrict to Colorado, especially given the nature of Enterprise's contracts.

You may see if Hotwire stipulates geographic locations for Colorado rentals, since I have used Hotwire and been assigned Enterprise, and had no trouble going out of one region and into another in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region, but that was an airport location, and the intended use was disclosed during the interrogation in which Enterprise engages, under the guise of customer service. I avoid Enterprise at all costs, but when they are assigned through an opaque rental, when I refuse to pay $250+/day for a premium/luxury car, I will deal with them, though I prefer Enterprise Holding's other companies, Alamo and National. I wonder why under the Enterprise banner the customer handling is so different. Does that product attract a significantly different consumer than the other companies?
Yes, local Enterprise

Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Every time I have rented a car, I was asked if I would be traveling out of state.

If you plan on bringing a rental car out of state, let them know. It's very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive