Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Drove an Equinox last year for awhile and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled and the gas mileage. Was not impressed with the pick-up ( or lack thereof really), but wasn't anything that couldn't be handled.

What drove me crazy was the heating system. Fifteen minutes or so after getting underway it still was chilly inside (this was in a NYC winter), and found myself fiddling with the controls. Seemed to me like it took way longer than anything else I've ever driven to get hot or even warm air out of the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
2014 Equinox weighs 3770lbs! A lot of weight for a 2.4L.(900lbs more than my Rav4!) I would not trust GM to make a 300,000mile type of FWD,I4 carrying that kind of vehicle weight.

Early build Rav4 when they were light and thoroughly reliable. See Rav4world.com for info. No info on the later years although I note the latest models is also about the same weight as the Equinox. Well too much for a small engine in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
My brother has a Rav4 and he likes it, but complains about the gas mileage (V6 model) a lot.

A close friend of mine is on his second Equinox. The first was a 2005 model, the second is a 2014 model. He really seems to like them. I prefer the styling of the 2005 model, but everything else about the 2014 model is better.

The Equinox is more comfortable and seems to have a nicer interior than the Rav4. It's a little bit bigger, and you can fit a rear facing car seat with two adults in the back . My brother's Rav4 is actually kind of cheaply built and is not large enough for two adults and a rear facing car seat.

The previous generation Rav4s have a rocket of a V6 motor that I don't believe is offered anymore. The Equinox can be had with a powerful V6.

I've had good experiences with Chevrolet and Toyota. They are both cheap to own and they are both pretty reliable. No shortage of dealers around for either one of them. As far as I know, maintenance on both is pretty easy. My brother's Rav4 has had some issues though...nothing major, just annoying.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Anecdotal but FWIW I know a lot of people who own and are happy with their Equinox. Many owned a gen 1 and still bought a gen 2.
That's my observation as well. It seems to be the right size and the right price....and the people who own them seem to be very happy.

I think it's a bonus that you can get it with the big 3.6L motor. It's a little smaller than the Ford Edge, but a little bigger than the Escape, Rav4, or CRV. Perfect size and price IMO. If it were any larger, it would be a dog with the 4 cylinder.

I'd go for the V6 Equinox especially if I wanted four wheel drive, but that's just me. If you are fuel efficiency minded, go for the 2.4L motor.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
The 4 cyl is plenty for us around town. I can chirp the tires on takeoff, and break them loose if I'm turning a corner if I want to, so it has plenty of get up and go in city driving. We bought it for the better gas mileage since my wife drives like 80% stop and go around the neighborhood. It is adequate on the highway for us too, but as I mentioned before, it is a bit weak above 70 or so for passing. But we don't drive it where we need the passing power that often.

I drive it carefully most of the time and regularly get 20-22 in town, and high 20s to 30s on the highway, depending on the speed.

Good luck with it!
I find this interesting. I recently bought a 4 cylinder Fusion and miss the 6 cylinder power in city driving when I need to accelerate or get into traffic. On the highway is where I think the 4 cylinder is fine, setting the cruise control at 75 and getting mid 30's MPG on a regular basis. Once underway, I rarely need the additional power a 6 cylinder would provide.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:05 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Final gearing is the reason.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I find this interesting. I recently bought a 4 cylinder Fusion and miss the 6 cylinder power in city driving when I need to accelerate or get into traffic. On the highway is where I think the 4 cylinder is fine, setting the cruise control at 75 and getting mid 30's MPG on a regular basis. Once underway, I rarely need the additional power a 6 cylinder would provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Final gearing is the reason.
Exactly. It is a 6 speed transmission and it shifts into like 4th before it hits 25-30 mph normally, when driven lightly. But on quick takeoffs, it jumps and goes. 1st and 2nd are geared for acceleration if needed, and basically skipped if not. Now at 70, hitting the pedal makes it downshift and you get a bunch of noise, and not a lot of acceleration. It does go, but nothing to compare to the low speed acceleration it has, or the passing power of other family vehicles I've driven (V6 Explorer, 5.4 Yukon XL). We are taking a trip this weekend, so I might take some vidoes with my dashcam cellphone app to review.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Gotta love the Toyota fan boys. The Rav 4 is the second most recalled vehicle in the USA. It also has an average of 14 hours of repair time to fix the issues. Some folks are still sipping the coolaid and haven't figured it out yet that Toyota quality is a myth. They are no better than any other out there and probably no worse either. Back when Toyota had the 22R engine , it was near bulletproof. This is what Toyota quality built its name on in the 80's. But they don't make that engine anymore just like they don't make the 3.0 V6 was was commonly named Sludge Monster which caused the front pulley on the cams to break off leaving you with a disaster. Amazing they've been able to keep that "quality" reputation considering Toyota does not have any engines on Wards Top Ten Engines list and the first generation Tundras were more prone to rollovers than the Ford Exploder. Here's a list for you to consider. While I'm not a fan of GM either, the Equinox has not been a problem child. I would second the above recommendation, a Honda CRV.
15 most recalled cars in America

Hmmmmmm........Toyota 99 camry, 15.5 years, 217,000 miles and it keeps on rooooolling along....add the 92 before that.......22 years, two camry's, one still in use.......I think I'll go with Toyota.....might not be the Rav 4 (I've driven one and just don't like the seat angle) but, compare all their line with all of GM's line??? ROFLMAO!!!!!

3.0 sludge monsters....sludge builds up due to neglect and a-holes who can't seem to find a jiffy lube on a regular basis.....all makers have their duds (GM Equinox, Enclave, etc...etc....etc....etc.....etc....Toyota...Rav 4.......Honda, Transmissions from 2008-2012 on most accords and some civics...yes....civics....).

Overall, Toyota's quality is far superior to GM. Just look at the number of RECALLS from GM over the last 20 years....starting with that oh so familiar ignition problem.....a f'in ignition lock??? Really????? and then go on to the litany of other problems GM suffers none the least of which is curb appeal.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:25 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Gotta love the Toyota fan boys. The Rav 4 is the second most recalled vehicle in the USA. It also has an average of 14 hours of repair time to fix the issues. Some folks are still sipping the coolaid and haven't figured it out yet that Toyota quality is a myth. They are no better than any other out there and probably no worse either. Back when Toyota had the 22R engine , it was near bulletproof. This is what Toyota quality built its name on in the 80's. But they don't make that engine anymore just like they don't make the 3.0 V6 was was commonly named Sludge Monster which caused the front pulley on the cams to break off leaving you with a disaster. Amazing they've been able to keep that "quality" reputation considering Toyota does not have any engines on Wards Top Ten Engines list and the first generation Tundras were more prone to rollovers than the Ford Exploder. Here's a list for you to consider. While I'm not a fan of GM either, the Equinox has not been a problem child. I would second the above recommendation, a Honda CRV.
15 most recalled cars in America

Here you go skippy, get up to the major leagues...note GM, GM, Ford, GM, Toyota (Sticking gas pedal, mentally deficient drivers), VW, GM.......

This is of ALL time.....

Biggest auto recalls ever - May. 27, 2014

One more note. I also own a 2004 Buick LeSabre, 3.8, 57,000 miles. Bought it from a retired couple 4 months ago for my daughter and it had 53,000 on it at the time......PVC and intake gasket already replaced...had the transmission flushed and the coolant flushed due to age, no problems there......car has a kind of grind to the drivetrain when you start from a stop...don't know wtf that is....blower motor is so loud on high that I thought something was wrong with it....no, it's just well known in the GM community.....in short, I think despite the short age and who owned it might end up being a POS......refinement is non-existent...how about that clear boot over the steering linkage....nice touch.....center console rattles on every turn...lid doesn't fit too well...will have to do a work around on it......it's a money pit in the making....

Smart money says it's gone within a year and a used Toyota is in its place.......

Old 12-21-2014, 05:12 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I know two people with the Equinox and both love them and no problems. My friend's has close to 100K on the odometer and absolutely no issues.

The Equinox is bigger and I think they are a nicer looking vehicle. The Toyota is well, still ugly like most Toyota's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive