Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 03:27 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times

Advertisements

Does anyone ever get arrested doing Cannonballs? I've seen them get pulled over and ticketed, I've even seen a cop greet and welcome them to their state and not give any citations, but I haven't seen a participant get apprehended yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 08:01 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Does anyone ever get arrested doing Cannonballs? I've seen them get pulled over and ticketed, I've even seen a cop greet and welcome them to their state and not give any citations, but I haven't seen a participant get apprehended yet.
It was either a cannonball or a rally where they always bring $10k in cash and one got arrested and posted the $10k bail with cash. The tiny police department was dumbfounded on someone having that in cash. It was on one of the VINwiki videos…

One British guy came to do a cannonball race where cars are staggered leaving Red Ball garage, he didn’t ask or have a clue what to do once he left. He said ummm and just floored it through all of Manhattan and ran lights I guess. It was funny to hear him talk about it as most don’t do this via easy way to lose at start via police.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Cannonballs are popular again, but the planning logistics are a ton. They dump $40k just into electronics for said cars, plus giant network volunteering driving ahead looking for cops and taking speeding tickets to keep cops busy ahead. It’s a giant feat just to do it, let alone set the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWn1WSYhVQ

Yeah, I'm afraid that at least in my eyes, many forms of racing were much more fun when folks just showed up with their cars to race and $$$ didn't rule the roost.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:01 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Speeding tickets have zero to do with safety. It's just another way of the government taxing the poor, in the name of safety. Does a millionaire bombing down the road at 150 mph in his million dollar sports car care about a speeding ticket? Of course not. Even if he gets arrested for it he will just bond out, get a good lawyer and plea bargain it down to a parking ticket. Speeding tickets are just a government racket. But people are okay with it. Because the government lies and tells them they are only doing it to promote safety.

Quote:
Executive Summary

State and local governments collected $16 billion in fiscal year 2019 from financial penalties imposed
on people who had contact with the justice system, according to US Census Bureau data. These
penalties included speeding tickets
(including those from automated traffic cameras), parking tickets,
court-imposed administrative fees, and forfeitures or seizures of property believed by law
enforcement officials to be connected to crimes.1

In total, fines, fees, and forfeitures account for less than 1 percent of total state and local general
revenue, but the way they are enforced can create unjust burdens. These financial penalties often
disproportionately fall on low-income people
of color, particularly Black people (O’Neill, Kennedy, and
Harris 2021; Sances and You 2017). In addition, consequences for those unable to pay can be severe
(Menendez et al. 2019).

Reliance on fines, fees, and forfeitures as a revenue source can also engender conflicts of interest
for government officials. For example, states and localities have ramped up speeding ticket
enforcement and arrests for various violations in response to budgetary shortfalls and political
pressures
(Makowsky, Stratmann, and Tabarrok 2019).
following-the-money-on-fines-and-fees_final-pdf

Old 03-16-2023, 09:42 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
To an extent I agree, but there are areas where speed limits and obeying them are important such as residential neighborhoods or areas where there is alot of pedestrian traffic or elderly. Schoo zones too ... so its not all about revenue, but making a 55 zone on a stretch of highway thats empty and easily capable of handling 70 MPH traffic such as GA-316 in Lawrenceville Georgia... ...yeah, that is a revenue generator.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
FWIW most posted speed limits in the Continental US are appropriate for their regions.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:44 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
FWIW most posted speed limits in the Continental US are appropriate for their regions.
Under what alternative reality is 55 mph appropriate on the Hutchinson River Parkway or I-287?

Old 03-24-2023, 05:35 AM

12,479 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A safer car doesn't mean raise speeds to 90 mph. There are plenty of idiots on the road. Driving faster won't make them better drivers or reduce accidents at this time. I would be more inclined to go along with faster speeds if
1.We had better driver training and driver testing
2.We had better roads which we don't.

Sounds like you simply like driving faster and feel restricted by the speed limits imposed on you.

We have reasonable limits.
10mph in residential or mall lots
25 in school area
35-45 streets
65-70 freeways.
Yes, and although cars today are FAR safer than they were 20-30 years ago, they're not built to enable passengers to walk away from collisions at 60mph, let alone 90mph, and collision energy rises with the square of speed - so at 90mph - greater than 2x the crash energy is generated than there is at 60mph. Crash testing done by NHTSA and IIHS is done at 35-40mph, and not all cars even pass *those* tests.

The faster that one is driving, the less time that they have to react to some event, the longer that braking distances will be, the less stable the vehicle will be under rapid maneuvers, and the higher any impact energy will be. In other words, risk is rising quickly with speed, due to multiple aggravating factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive