Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM

154 posts, read 666,883 times

Advertisements

Dealer acknowledged that they might have damaged (nail in the tire) the tire (run flat tires) while test driving the vehicle after making a warranty repair but refuse to replace the tire (not repairable according to them). They claimed that this is beyond their control. I had no choice but to replace the tire with thier "employee discount" and free mounting/balancing for $250. I am planning to file a compliant with Toyota. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
nothing will come of it. road hazards are tough to prove for one thing, the nail might have already been in the tire when you took the car to the dealer, and even if it was the employee that ran over the nail, it is virtually impossible to even see nails on the roadway. at least they gave you a discount on the tire.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
If something happened to your car while it was in their possession and control, then they should cover it whether it was their "fault" or something completely random like a nail in a tire. I'd take my complaint to the general manager of the dealership. If they still don't cover it, then the dealer has decided that your continued goodwill and patronage is worth less than $250 to them. Act on that knowledge however you will.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
They might've done it ... but you might've done it as well. Not sure how you are going to prove otherwise. At least the dealer didn't reject the claim out right.

But ... $250 for one tire after their discount?? Sounds steep.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Well, be polite, and ask for them to pay.

As stated above, this is a tough call. I have had a nail in one of my tires for months. Very slow leak. Was putting a little air in for months - a week at a time. It finally went flat one morning in driveway.

As far as getting a fancy car with "run flat" tires. Good luck to you folks. This is another invention that is not needed. And, as you have found out, quite expensive.

Get a car with regular tires next time.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
They might've done it ... but you might've done it as well. Not sure how you are going to prove otherwise. At least the dealer didn't reject the claim out right.
According to the OP the dealer has already acknowledged that it happened under their watch. If that's true, they should pay up. The customer has every expectation that their property will be returned in the same state as when it was brought in (plus the repairs contracted for, of course).

Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
According to the OP the dealer has already acknowledged that it happened under their watch. If that's true, they should pay up. The customer has every expectation that the car will be returned in the same state as when it was brought in (plus the repairs contracted for, of course).
"Dealer acknowledged that they might have damaged (nail in the tire) the tire (run flat tires) while test driving the vehicle"

It "might have".
Meaning it's a possibility among other possibilities.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:30 PM

154 posts, read 666,883 times
The tire pressure monitoring light was off when I brought the car in around 8:30am. The receipt they provided (multipoint inspection) indicated the car is in good shape (including tire condition and pressure). The light was on when I pick up the car 5pm the next day.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It "might have".
Meaning it's a possibility among other possibilities.
Fair enough, I'm walking back my prior posts. OP, under the ambiguous circumstances, accept the discount and move on.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
The tire pressure monitoring light was off when I brought the car in around 8:30am. The receipt they provided (multipoint inspection) indicated the car is in good shape (including tire condition and pressure). The light was on when I pick up the car 5pm the next day.
Here's what you're up against: nail leaks can be very slow if the nail is still embedded in the tire. I've sometimes been able to go up to a few days without having to re-fill a tire with a nail in it until I could get the tire repaired or replaced. So unless you remember driving through a pile of nails or something, it's very difficult to pin down a time frame for when the puncture actually happened. Unless the dealer is willing to fully acknowledge that it happened under their watch, IMO they've covered the cost in approximate proportion to your odds of providing clear and convincing evidence that it happened when it was in their hands rather than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive