Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM

107 posts, read 211,166 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a mid-size or smaller SUV that will fit 2 car seats and an adult in the back seat or 2nd row. I know this can be done with a Honda Pilot, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives in case we can't swing a Honda Pilot. Could I do it with a Hyundai Santa Fe? Maybe a Kia Sorento? Possible in a CR-V? We've already got a minivan, so not looking for that, just an SUV. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have seen that in a Ford Edge, as long as the 3rd person is not huge.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM

271 posts, read 566,966 times
What's your budget? What about a certified pre-owned Pilot? With the redesigned body coming out in a few months, there will be lots of leases being turned in for the newer body which should bode well for prices of lease return Pilots.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Whats your budget range? Sounds like you are trying to get a little smaller than a Pilot to save some money.

Subaru Outback has a larger than usual (and expected) back seat area for it's class. You could give a Sorrento or Santa Fe a look too. CR-V may start to get cramped. Especially when you need to haul things in the way back for all these people and kids.

Also if this is not the primary people mover, since you have the van, is the space really that necessary? The kids will grow out the seats and you may not need as much width.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
All I have to say is that I REALLY feel sorry for that 3rd adult.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:17 PM

This will be the primary vehicle, and the kids will be in car seats for many years. We are looking to stay under $10k - which most likely puts us in the 2005-09 range for most vehicles. Could buy something older than that, but I'd rather not. For a Pilot, an 07 is at the top of that range, which we can do, but I'm exploring other options too. Our second baby is due at the end of May, and I'd like to make the purchase before then. So it's not really tons of people, just a family of 4, but I often sit in the back with my 5 year old to read to her whenever we go somewhere and my husband is driving, and I'd like to be able to continue to do that (and also to handle the baby).

I think what we're going to do is my husband is going to go to a dealership tomorrow with two car seats and just sit them in a bunch of SUVs and see if any will work for us. I just thought it might be helpful to hear from anyone that has seen this or maybe has two car seats in an SUV.

Thanks TONS for the responses.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 PM

HAHA. I'M the adult (see response above). I'm a skinny minny. But I still don't want to be crunched. HA.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I think that you could do it in a CR-V, actually, since there should be enough room in the middle seat for you. A Santa Fe would have enough room, but at the price point, it would be an older model, and unless CPO, the warranty does not transfer. I would also look at a Highlander, since the previous generations would have models in your preferred price range, and it is a reliable vehicle, overall. I am not sure what is available in your area in terms of vehicle inventory, but the Acura MDX is also a decent buy in a pre-owned SUV, and there may be more of them than the Pilot. While usually more expensive, on the used market, you may find a decent example. You may be able to fit in a Forester, but I personally do not like Subaru's seats for comfort, unless it is a newer model at the top of the range, when they are tolerable, but the base model seats are torture, IMO.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Wouldn't the 5 year old be in (or close to be in) a booster? My daughter, who is on the small and light side for her age, just turned 6 and is in a booster. (Usually 40 lbs and up for most manufacturers). They do not take up the real estate of a full car seat, and are easier to maneuver with.

If so, that would make things far easier in finding something with enough room.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Our 5 year old is harnessed in a Graco Nautilus and I will keep her harnessed as long as possible. Then the Nautilus will convert later to a high back booster.

Again, than you so much to all of you for the replies. It's always helpful to hear from anyone on this stuff. I find myself in parking lots peering into the backs of cars - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive