Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:18 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln ya View Post
^This. If the law requires it there, u have to use it. Or u will get a ticket. Again, and again, and again. Up to you, i guess.
...but, what if the OP is...better than everyone else?
Shouldn't there be a legal loophole for him?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignalife View Post
Is there any way to get around having the front license plate in CA? I am moving from another state and don't want to add a front license plate to my car if I can avoid it.
Op shouldn't you be asking this in the California forum?
I am in texas but I ll be happy to tell you the law I know in California. And my advises are free of charge. But if you get a ticket. Don't point fingers at me. I didn't charge you a penny.

i don't know about now, but it was a state law back when I was living in So cal in the 80s and 90s. CHP there do not play.

You can have your front plate placed anywhere you want, but be prepare to get pull over.

Until one day I got wiser, I placed the license plate at the front bumper where it was meant to be. And voila. Didn't get harassed about it anymore.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
In CA no front license plate gives the police cause to pull you over, so if that open can of beer, or toke is visible, guess what you may get an invitation for 2 squares and a bunk for awhile.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I haven't had a ugly front license for years and years on any of my cars. I did get pulled over a year ago for speeding. I asked the cop nicely "do I have to get a ticket." He was a nice guy, looked at the front of my car and said I'll give you a choice, a speeding ticket or no front licence ticket.
The no front license is a much less offence.
I put the license on, went to a sherrifs office in Valencia, they have a place where you park and ring a bell, the sheriff comes out and sees your licence, I had to pay a fee and then pulled around the corner and took the license off.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
The law says 2 plates no if's about it do it or ticket you choise. How many more pages of this tread is needed for such a stupid question. Do you think you can just flaunt the law.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
To people who consider a car a point a to point b vehicle, I imagine it does seem strange that someone would not want to run a front plate, but to us car lovers, having one takes away from the look of the car, and some of our cars do not even have a place to put one.

I lived in SoCal for a year and never ran a front plate, now I live in Florida and we only have rear plates. Two of my cars don't even have a provision for one, so if I moved to California, and wanted to be legal, I would have to try to fab up something to hold it on.

Like the saying goes, "If I had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand anyway."

Don

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
To people who consider a car a point a to point b vehicle, I imagine it does seem strange that someone would not want to run a front plate, but to us car lovers, having one takes away from the look of the car, and some of our cars do not even have a place to put one.

I lived in SoCal for a year and never ran a front plate, now I live in Florida and we only have rear plates. Two of my cars don't even have a provision for one, so if I moved to California, and wanted to be legal, I would have to try to fab up something to hold it on.

Like the saying goes, "If I had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand anyway."

Don
My god man you can get front plate brackets at autozone what's the big deal about a front plate. I remember every state had to have front and back plates. Everyone has to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
CA Codes (veh:5200-5206)

Old 03-16-2015, 10:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
My god man you can get front plate brackets at autozone what's the big deal about a front plate. I remember every state had to have front and back plates. Everyone has to make a mountain out of a molehill.
You are assuming some of us have a place to fasten the plate, like a bumper, and we don't. (or fenders, or hoods, etc.)

Plus, it looks like s*** up there.

Don

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM

183 posts, read 207,239 times
Heck, I see so many cars without any license plates driving around in San Diego...maybe one a week, it makes me wonder what the police are doing or where they are. Guess they have larger fish to fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive