Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:48 AM

488 posts, read 858,059 times

Advertisements

I know this will sound silly to many of you, but I'm hoping to get some productive help, so please be kind.

I am relatively new to the world of driving a manual car (VW Jetta). I had a huge fear of hills until I found a tip on these forums about how to use the tachometer needle drop to tell when it won't roll back (that person has no idea how much that has helped me!) but living in the city, I've only had to test this on some hills. I've still mostly developed the habit of taking a route where I won't encounter any at all though.

I'm moving to Arizona soon and know I'm going to have to face mountain driving sooner or later.

I realize I can engine brake downhill. I hate going downhill, but I'm okay with that.

My big fear is going uphill in traffic. How hard is this to navigate? Is it basically the same as being on a slope at a stop light? With the constant stop and start, how do you deal with this without having a constant fear of rolling back?

I've been reading that there are a lot of traffic and accidents on I-17 around Flagstaff, but even if I avoid that area, I'm going to have to go through the mountains at some point.

If anyone has tips, tricks, or advice to help me get over this, I would appreciate it. I'm probably over thinking this issue into something bigger than it is, but it's got me worried enough that I'm considering trading in for an automatic where I won't have to worry so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Use the hand brake. When you are new at driving a manual, hold the hand brake while on a hill. When you feel the clutch engage release the hand brake and drive away.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I know this will sound silly to many of you, but I'm hoping to get some productive help, so please be kind.

I am relatively new to the world of driving a manual car (VW Jetta). I had a huge fear of hills until I found a tip on these forums about how to use the tachometer needle drop to tell when it won't roll back (that person has no idea how much that has helped me!) but living in the city, I've only had to test this on some hills. I've still mostly developed the habit of taking a route where I won't encounter any at all though.

I'm moving to Arizona soon and know I'm going to have to face mountain driving sooner or later.

I realize I can engine brake downhill. I hate going downhill, but I'm okay with that.

My big fear is going uphill in traffic. How hard is this to navigate? Is it basically the same as being on a slope at a stop light? With the constant stop and start, how do you deal with this without having a constant fear of rolling back?

I've been reading that there are a lot of traffic and accidents on I-17 around Flagstaff, but even if I avoid that area, I'm going to have to go through the mountains at some point.

If anyone has tips, tricks, or advice to help me get over this, I would appreciate it. I'm probably over thinking this issue into something bigger than it is, but it's got me worried enough that I'm considering trading in for an automatic where I won't have to worry so much.
I have no idea what the bolded part means. If you are using the clutch to hold your position on a hill you are guaranteed to shorten the life of the clutch significantly.

As said above, use the hand brake if necessary to hold your position on a hill.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
I have always used the heal toe method. Heal of the left foot on the brake pedal and the toe of the left foot on the clutch and the right foot on the gas pedal. Holding the brake down while easing off on the clutch, when the RPM's start to drop add gas and then start easing off of the brake.

At least this is a alternate method.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Most modern cars with a manual transmission have a hill assist feature, in fact our automatic has it. Look in your owner's manual, to see if yours does. It holds the brakes on for 2 seconds after you release the brake pedal so you can apply the gas before you can roll back. If not, the hand brake located on the floor is the way to go, but practice somewhere without practice before you need it.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post

Find a little hill to practice on that doesn't have traffic. It could even be flat ground just to familiarize yourself. As already mentioned use the emergency brake. This way you can operate the clutch and gas just like you were on flat ground. Once you feel the clutch engaging or the engine bogging release the brake.

Also as mentioned don't ride the clutch while sitting still, that's a bad habit to get into. Once you have been doing this for while you'll forget all about this as everything becomes second nature.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 PM

302 posts, read 1,156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have no idea what the bolded part means. If you are using the clutch to hold your position on a hill you are guaranteed to shorten the life of the clutch significantly.

I believe OP is using the tach as a visual indicator as to when the clutch is engaging the flywheel, thus the car won't roll backwards due to driveline disengagement.

OP - The tach watching and handbrake on hills tips are crutches while you learn to drive manual. With experience, you will not need either. You will learn a feel for the clutch and become adept enough to engage, even on a hill, smoothly and quickly enough to prevent rolling back. In time, your clutch operation and shifting becomes non cognizant. Just get out and drive, you'll pick up the skillset and build your confidence.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I have always used the heal toe method. Heal of the left foot on the brake pedal and the toe of the left foot on the clutch and the right foot on the gas pedal. Holding the brake down while easing off on the clutch, when the RPM's start to drop add gas and then start easing off of the brake.

At least this is a alternate method.
Good luck doing that on my 78 International Loadstar. I drove that truck a lot in the summer and my left leg used to get bigger than my right. Honestly that sounds very difficult no matter what you're driving.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 PM

488 posts, read 858,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I have the clutch fully depressed and the brake on, the same as I would any time I am at a full stop.

The bolded part referenced a tip I read - on a hill, when you're ready to go, if you slowly let out the clutch, brake still engaged, there's a point where the needle will drop slightly, say from 0.8 RMP to 0.7 RMP. This is the point where the clutch has engaged and if you let off the brake and hit the gas at this point, no rollback whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
OP - The tach watching and handbrake on hills tips are crutches while you learn to drive manual.
Generally in a small vehicle usually not necessary unless the hill is really steep and/or there is other factors like you don't want to accidentally spin the tires. In truck it can be necessary and generally just easier if you're loaded on real steep grade, saves the clutch anyway. I know when I was taking my CDL test it was part of the road test, I think they may have even deducted points if you didn't use the brake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive