Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Twice on my way home today, I encountered people who appeared to be perfectly comfortable driving the speed they were driving. As soon as I attempted to pass them, this seems to have somehow bothered them and they both sped up and tried to prevent me from getting in front of them.

I do not understand this!!!

I like to speed, but if someone wants to pass me, I am happy to let them by,

What makes people do this???
This happens to me on the freeway every day... i switch lanes to pass (in a respectful way... i don't get right up on their bumper and switch lanes fast like im a nascar driver) and they speed up... so i switch back over behind them and they slow back down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This. A thousand times this. It's my biggest driving pet peeve. You're not too important to wait your turn like the hundred people you just passed before attempting to merge at the front of the line of traffic.
I confess to doing this as part of my normal driving. But I don't cut anyone off. Once I get to the last 30 cars, someone is always asleep, or distracted, or just slow and I can easily and gently slide in without cutting anyone off. It is possible to be courteous and aggressive. Some people don't mind waiting in a line, others do. As long as it's done safely, I am fine with cutting the line.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:57 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I confess to doing this as part of my normal driving. But I don't cut anyone off. Once I get to the last 30 cars, someone is always asleep, or distracted, or just slow and I can easily and gently slide in without cutting anyone off. It is possible to be courteous and aggressive. Some people don't mind waiting in a line, others do. As long as it's done safely, I am fine with cutting the line.
If you always do it that way, then you're not who we're talking about. Many drivers force their way in when there's no space.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,874 times
Or what about the people that are in such a hurry to pull out of a driveway, business, side street etc. in front of you, then proceed to drive 5 mph under the speed limit?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,410 times
I have never understood this behavior. I think it is ridiculous. Left lane hogs are ****ing obnoxious. I had this happen yesterday to me. I was driving along and this guy slowed down and then I passed him. Later on he kept trying to pass me and then would slow down and then trying to pass me. So odd.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:28 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,289 times
That happens to me a lot in my rig which I also don't understand because I'm governed at 65 in a 75 mph state.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
I'm in an exit lane and the car behind me tried to pass on the left and then jump in front of me to get a one car advantage. No can do.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,651 times
One of my big pet peeves. You can follow somebody who is driving below the speed limit for quite a while, and then when there is finally a passing lane (going up a hill), they will pull over into the right hand lane, but then speed way up!! And then as soon as they merge back in front of you, they slow back down to what they were doing before. You can tell that the driver is doing it intentionally, because they will also speed way up when you come to a good place to pass, then slow right down again when you get past that stretch of road.
I see it so often.
I think it is pure ego. They don't want to be passed.
Total jerks.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM

50,744 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
5 reasons people speed up when you try to pass them

5 reasons people speed up when you try to pass them | 2KnowMySelf
This is a great list of reasons with science behind them, and an awesome site overall. I'm bookmarking it, thanks!

• 1) Mirror neurons: Inside our minds there are those cells called mirror neurons. Their main function is to let you experience the feelings of another person by just watching him. Remember how you felt during the last spider-man movie? Didn't you feel scared when he was jumping from a building to another? its because your mirror neurons was in action. When you see someone speeding up your mirror neurons fire and motivate you to do just like him (see also How fears and phobias are learned)
  • 2) Driving and personality: In my previous article What your driving style says about your personality i explained how the dominant personality traits you have control your driving habits. A stubborn person for example will never allow a car to bypass him if it kept flashing its lights or beeping so many times. A stubborn person will only allow you to bypass him if you did it politely
  • 3) Perceived competition: You might be wondering why not all cars that bypass you motivate you to speed up. When you believe that someone is challenging you then you will become eager to speed up and just as you might have already guessed the way someone bypasses you is the factor that lets you decide whether its a challenge or not
  • 4) The cheap victory: In the solid confidence program i said that people seek refuge in cheap victories when they fail to feel worthy in the important areas of their lives. When some people see an exotic car or a car that seems much powerful than the ones they are driving they become jealous. These feelings of jealousy fuel the feelings of inferiority and make them feel uncomfortable. In such a case some of those people try to speed up with that car just to get a cheap victory. This is how those people see it "Yes you are driving a Ferrari but i am still better than you because i bypassed you!"
  • 5) The psychological identity: The psychological identity is the thing that defines who you are. Each person has many psychological identities but two or three of them will be the dominant ones controlling his behaviour. If a narcissist for example had the identity of "always being the first" then he won't accept it if anybody tried to bypass him. For him its not just a car racing challenge but its a threat to his core identity

Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,377,722 times
Yesterday....I84 in Ct......driving 70mph in a 55 zone.....middle lane passing traffic to the right....cruise on....came up on somebody in my lane (middle) doing probably close to 65mph.....look to the far left passing lane....folks slowly gaining.....I've got time to move over to the left lane and pass without shutting down the cruise control....move to the left lane, get side by side with the guy I'm passing....he paces me....cruise off and drop back behind him to let left lane pass without slowing them down.....what the hell, the cruise is off anyhow....once the left lane drives by, out to the left I go, and blow by the idiot....not gonna play that game today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive