Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am buying a new tires for my truck.
I've done some research to see what the best tires would be.
I've seen varying reviews and opinions.

I thought I'd ask the folks here.

My truck:
1997 F350
4x4
Crew cab
Diesel
I use it mostly to pull a gooseneck horse trailer.
I do drive it though without trailer at times.
I live where there is 4 seasons.
At times I will be on dirt roads and such pulling trailer.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good all season tire?

Thanks!
Live in Michigan. Trailer a boat and ATV's in the summer, and and enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter.

For years I swore by BF Goodrich All Terrains. Had them on every truck and Jeep I owned. They worked great especially after having them sipped. Then I switched from 1/2 ton trucks to a 3/4 ton diesel. It seemed like the longevity of the BFG's where half of what they were on the lighter vehicles. Also if you don't keep up on the rotations they will get wear will get choppy and noisy , regardless of the vehicle.
Since then I've switched to the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's and haven't looked back. Longer life, and quieter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I had BFG's on a Jeep way back when and they were great tires. I have BFG's on my sports car and those too are great. When I had to get tires for my F150 Supercrew I wanted to get BFG LT's for that since I liked how they looked and how they have worn on my other vehicles. I went to Town Faire tire which is a big chain store around here and the BFG's for my truck were like $1200 ! I didn't have that kind of dough so I went with the TOYO tire for $800 all in and they have been just OK.

I'd say get the BF Goodrich tires.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I had one set of BF Goodrich traction tires (squiggly tread style) that loaded up and were worthless in mud. If you are towing off road you need mudders. They will be noisy and won't last as long, but if I read your name correctly you will be driving over Georgia red clay.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
My 350 is heavy. I also off road so I went with buckshots. I haven't been disappointed so far. They are extremely loud but I like that

Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I've had great performance out of Yokohamas on my half tons. The worst tire I ever owned was the Revo. Rough ride, almost zero handling, and braking was long. Michelin and Goodyear around here are a crap tire. They can't take the heat and they get hard as rocks in about a year. Obviously, ride, handling and braking are effected. So you'll see some folks like them on their particular brand and model truck and they might work great in that application. Whereas the Yokos I had such great performance from might be crap on your truck. You need to skip the forum BS and look to folks reviews at Tire Rack and Discount Tire and find reviews from folks that have similar trucks. While you might think all 3/4 ton trucks are the same, I can assure you they all have different designed front ends- it makes a huge difference in how a tire reacts.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:12 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Noby has mentioned the Nitto. I put the Nitto CrossTek, or something like that on my 08. I had right at 5000 on them and you couldn't even tell they had that on them. The guy who owns the truck now has close to 60000 on those tires and still plenty to go before he needs new ones. He doesn't tow a lot, like maybe 800 miles a year, but they have held up great.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I have Cooper AT/3's on my Tacoma and they seem to be excellent all-around tires. I just bought a Jeep and had the dealership replace the Goodyear Stranglers with a set of Firestone Destination AT's. The Firestones seem to be OK, but I've read they are bad about loading up in mud. Firestone had a bad rap for a batch of defective tires, but their quality control is now said to be the best on the market.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Load range E Yokohamas

one choice here (might need more agressive tread if you are in a lot of mud or snow, BUT these will have good service on highway and dry dirt roads.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+H%2FT-S+G053

I do not run BF Goodrich or Firestone (personal preference after yrs in the tire business warrantying failed LT tires)
I have in general had bad luck with Firestones on cars, but the Firestone Transforce (one of the few decent load range E tires still available in 9/50 - 16.5 size) has been a damn good tire in my experience. Used on a truck to haul firewood, they have held up well, gripped well, no complaints. But I have had only good experiences with Yokohama tires.

OP, you forgot to say if you have dual rear wheels or single. Maybe your year F-350 only came one way?

Final thought - even if you are buying 6 tires for dual rears - don't cheap out, buy a good tire and it will work right and last. Buy cheap, you will regret it!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I've used
BFGoodrich (at one time I used to think they were the snizit but truthfully they aren't as great as they once were. Imo you're paying a lot for the name where there are tires just as good or better)

These days I had GREAT luck with
Rocky Mountain AT aka Falken AT
Hankook ATS (F250)
My current truck has Hankook ST type tires. Made for towing 235/85/16 E load and 70,000 mile tread warranty on a F350 dual wheel. Got them from Americas tire. If you're strictly on road driving these are good quiet tires.
If you need some off road terrain type I suggest FALKEN AT or Hankooks ATS. My buddy had Nittos on his truck but I don't know much about them.

On my next truck im gonna go with the Hankook ATS simply because they are great all around

Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM

450 posts, read 597,559 times
I've been satisfied with a replacement truck tire by Dunlop. That brand is made and sold by Goodyear and after close to fifty thousand miles they have done everything I wanted a truck tire to do. They're quiet, don't ride too harshly and show little sign of wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive