Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM

219 posts, read 299,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
How old is the serpentine belt?
If it is the original one, there is a strong likelihood that it is slipping, and when it slips, it would make a squealing noise.

Since the serpentine belt drives the alternator, it is possible that this could also lead to the engine stalling, and to the death of your battery. How the battery would be able to restart the engine in this scenario is a mystery to me, but I would strongly suggest that you have a competent mechanic (that means not going to a quick lube place, or to a chain-run operation) inspect your belt and the belt tensioners. Also have the battery's condition checked via a load test.

Do it...immediately...as I predict that you are going to wind up stranded tomorrow, and then you will have to pay for a tow in addition to the repair costs.

No need to go to a "mechanic" to get a belt looked at. That's like going to a mechanic to put air in your tires. While I don't like the "Quick Lube" places, they should be able to do it with ease. As would an auto part store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
High squeeling noise is most likely the belt slipping. Because it's slipping, the alternator is not properly charging the battery. This combo is causing your car do die on the road.

You can get a new belt at any auto part store for a couple bucks and they would probably even install it for you. It only takes a couple minutes. And get your battery checked. I bet it's having issues too. But a new belt may help the alternator keep it charged.
Amazingly I'm not.
Retriever mentioned that too.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Car has died while driving.
Hear a high squealing noise.
There is a whole lot missing between these two events. Squealing noise has to be the belt but a slipping belt does not cause the car to die. Even with a slipping belt the battery gets charged. If it is a charging issue, your dash light must have come on. Belts usually squeal at start up. Oh, the serpentine belt is not “couple of bucks” and is not like the old alternator belt to slip off and on.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

faulty ignition switches, which could shut off the engine during driving

2014 General Motors recall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's not a GM car.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM

224 posts, read 456,245 times
I would imagine if it was an alternator issue you wouldn't be able to start it right back up. When your charging system has issues your battery will mask them until it's dead, usually tipping you off to it's condition with slow starts before it dies.

From your description it's squealing before it dies, right? Or does it just squeal as the engine shuts off?

Having someone check the accessories would be a good idea, most shops will do so while replacing a belt. If you've had it 4 years and not replaced the belt it would be a good idea to have it checked out. I usually keep my old belts as emergency spares. If yours fails you could loose power steering which could be dangerous.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There is a whole lot missing between these two events. Squealing noise has to be the belt but a slipping belt does not cause the car to die. Even with a slipping belt the battery gets charged. If it is a charging issue, your dash light must have come on. Belts usually squeal at start up. Oh, the serpentine belt is not “couple of bucks” and is not like the old alternator belt to slip off and on.

I had a new alternator put in about 9 months ago.
No signs of alternator failing.
Or battery loss.

Yep, after driving today for about 5 minutes, car squealed then died.
Turned over engine, started up. Parked it for about 20 mn, I was at store.
Came out, fired right up and drove home for 5mn.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
I would imagine if it was an alternator issue you wouldn't be able to start it right back up. When your charging system has issues your battery will mask them until it's dead, usually tipping you off to it's condition with slow starts before it dies.

From your description it's squealing before it dies, right? Or does it just squeal as the engine shuts off?

Having someone check the accessories would be a good idea, most shops will do so while replacing a belt. If you've had it 4 years and not replaced the belt it would be a good idea to have it checked out. I usually keep my old belts as emergency spares. If yours fails you could loose power steering which could be dangerous.
I might of been simultaneously.
More I think about it, it probably was.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:28 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
It's not a GM car.
Such considerations never keep people from offering irrelevant advice.

Don in Austin

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
They might be two completely unrelated events. When you say " car squealed then died”, how did it happen. Did it die suddenly as in switched off or sputtered and died?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:20 PM

219 posts, read 299,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Serpentine belt you are talking about?
Aren't they a little more complicated than that?

I'd be hard pressed to find a worker from an auto store to install it here.

Anyone at a "Jiffy Lube" type place can do it. Belts get old and stretch. The tensioner is usually spring loaded and when the belt stretches out, the tensioner can no longer add tension and the belt starts to slip.

Cost of the belt will be in the $20-$30 range + labor to install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive