Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
This is from your article "“If you’re going the speed limit or you’re not going the speed limit, the left lane is the side to pass,” he said. “The law doesn’t say that you have to be in the right-hand lane all the time, it requires you to be there when it’s safe to do so.”"

If you are going the same speed as the person in the lane to your right, you are in the incorrect lane(and can be ticketed for it). Again the speed limit has nothing to do with this law. Speeding is still illegal and you can get a ticket for it.

Last edited by Me007gold; 06-03-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've seen this so many times. I'll be in the process of passing a line of slow traffic in the right lane, look up and see this car like a bat out of hell coming straight for my backside without slowing down, and then a few miles down the road when we get into heavier traffic, he's stuck in a lane where he can't get over and I've long passed him.
And how many times have they passed you and you never see them again? You probably have no idea because it doesn't fit your bias and you don't remember it. More often than not you likely never see them again because they got through the red light that you're sitting at but since you don't see them you don't even remember being passed.

Also you do realize that interstates cover areas that don't have heavy traffic right? "a few miles down the road" where heavier traffic is might be 200 miles.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Totally agree. People who hang out in the left lane are just lazy...they want a clear view of the road to "cruise" and not have to pass others.

I'm wondering how it works though on urban multi-lane where all lanes are actually needed for traffic flow, not just the far right lane...and sometimes of course the far right lane is an exit only a lot of the time too. Is it JUST the far left that is reserved for passing even though passing will no doubt also occur in other lanes?
Where live there's a stretch of I-65 that has "THRU TRAFFIC" signs over the far left lane, which pretty much implies that if you're not exiting any time soon you can stay in the left lane. I'm not saying I do it, but it's there.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
If you're at the limit, why are you passing?
Because the person I am passing is going slower. What other reason would there be?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
OMG, this is awesome! The Germans drive this way and I've known for years this is the correct way to drive. This should free up traffic on the Indiana highways tremendously!
If you really think people are going to pay attention and if you really think people are going to be ticketed I you're setting yourself up for a rude a rude awakening.

American drivers and German drivers are nothing alike. American drivers ed & German drivers ed are nowhere near the same. Add to that the fact that 87.3% of people in the USA are idiots, and you will continue to have clogged roads.

The rule / law is actually very easy to understand ... if you're not actively passing a car on your right, you have no business being in the left lane (on most interstates; obviously there can be exceptions for urban freeways during rush hour where all the lanes are going 5 miles an hour).

Last edited by Regajohn; 06-03-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In S Cal you have to be really flying to get a speeding ticket, or speeding and weaving. On the 4 lane interstates the CHP will ticket for left lane camping if you are impeding traffic. Especially big rigs which can cause a bottleneck a half mile long.

Typically in the morning I'll throttle up the big girl to about 2300 rpm which is pushing 75 mph and I'm getting passed like I'm not moving.
On the expressways around here, trucks aren't even allowed in the far left lane.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In S Cal you have to be really flying to get a speeding ticket, or speeding and weaving. On the 4 lane interstates the CHP will ticket for left lane camping if you are impeding traffic. Especially big rigs which can cause a bottleneck a half mile long.

Typically in the morning I'll throttle up the big girl to about 2300 rpm which is pushing 75 mph and I'm getting passed like I'm not moving.

Must be nice to drive a truck that isn't "castrated."

You got 3.55s or 3.70s in the pumpkins?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM

50,347 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Must be nice to drive a truck that isn't "castrated."

You got 3.55s or 3.70s in the pumpkins?
3.55s. No governors round here

Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
The number of questions alone indicates how complicated a simple concept like keep right except to pass is to Americans. We dont need 100 scenarios and hypotheticals. How hard is it to leave the left lane if a car comes up behind you? Nobody is asking you to be a speed nanny and try to judge what speed they are going. Not your job.
It can be hard. When passing those 4 trucks, if I slide between two of them it can be difficult to get back over to continue passing. The best thing to do is pass all 4 and then get to the right.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,991 times
I will say that I do get annoyed when I'm going 80 in the left lane (70 mph limit) and someone comes up going 90 or faster, forcing me and everyone else not driving like a bat out of hell to get over behind the person doing 60. Happens more often than you'd think.

I think the idea of "going the speed of traffic" is important in these situations. Someone going well below it is a nuisance to everyone else going a higher similar speed. Someone driving way above it is also a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive