Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

I back into a space. That's what side mirrors are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That link says "in some areas" like certain city parking garages and has nothing to do with private parking lots at malls or businesses. And the reason is to allow scanning of rear-only license plates by law enforcement.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
Backing into a space is inherently more dangerous as it increases the risk of a fatal pedestrian accident. A pedestrian can be pinned or trapped by a car backing into a spot. A car backing out of a spot is less dangerous to a pedestrian who has room to dodge. Also, backing into a spot increases the chance of a fender bender being your fault 100% of the time, since the vehicle you hit will be parked. It is good this that more and more states and municipalities are banning this practice.
Say what? How the heck fast do you back your car, anyway? Anyone who backs into a parking space is, by the very nature of backing, paying more attention to what they're doing than someone pulling in first. For one thing, you have to stop and reverse, which means you will most likely be going slower than if you just pulled up and into the space, and that in and of itself is a reminder to look at where you're backing, using the side mirrors and turning your head to look.

You may not like to back into parking spaces, but that doesn't make doing so inherently more likely to cause a fatal pedestrian accident.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
I'm just curious to see what the people of this forum prefer to do - pull forward into spaces or back into them?
I park nose in and back out, even though recently two of us backed out at the same time and collided.

I have a minivan, and the hatch opens upward and outward, so backing in, it would mean i might not be able to access it, even in a pull-through situation.

I would do the same if i had a trunk.

We each have our own idiosyncrasies.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
I live in the MD suburbs of DC and of late it seems everyone HAS to back into parking spaces. I think it started when those who didn't drive large vehicles previously started to as it has always been a suburban car area. I have driven pickups for years and see no benefit in backing in. The problem with all of these people parking like this is parking lots come to complete halts at times. Imagine drivers parallel parking in every spot on a busy downtown street at the same time.

What is bad is lots of businesses have signs which read "Head in parking only" meaning no backing in. How many people heed those signs? I can go out right now and find dozens of cars backed into those spots; scofflaws.

Yep, it's the large Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade vehicle drivers who are most guilty. It ain't that hard to drive normally people, give it a try. A lot of people who back in often park on the lines as they aren't aware of them. I could do the same with my 20' long Caddy but prefer to park like a normal person at the long end of the row to preserve my 22 yo baby.

As far as being put out by waiting for those who insist on backing in....wait until it is everyone who is wanting to park.

The very same people refuse to use turn signals.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Pulling through is wonderful for you, but what about the poor sap that has to park behind you? Sooner or later, you have to back up.

If you back up first, you get it done and out of the way. Y'all who pull in and go shopping, are tired and distracted when it's time to go home.

If it's really too much hassle to use your mirrors and back into a spot, there's always the bus.

What's really annoying is driving down the aisle and coming across that rude backer-outer who just comes barging out, impedes my traffic, then has to come back... usually not near far enough, then they have to change the gear shifter from reverse to forward, then drive away when they could have just backed in and driven forward to exit.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
7 pages on how you park your car.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I find it wiser to back into my parking spaces ,because 1 having viewed it before backing in I know if it is clear and still watch as I back in.
2. Attempting to back out into traffic is particularly hazzardous because you can't see on comming traffic.
If there is an emergency you need all the advantage in decision making ASAP . Fire trucks back in so do police and other emergency vehicles.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Where I live the town recently decided that the diagonal nose-in parking was dangerous to back out of, so they reversed the diagonal lines and your supposed to back in. It may sound like a smart idea, but in reality its a flustercluck. Cars have to pull past the parking spot, but all the traffic just pulls right up behind you bumper to bumper, then 20 cars finally figure out what you are trying to do so they swerve into other lane and give you the 1 finger wave with a few choice words screamed out the window as they pass

Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Back IN if backing OUT will be dangerous ... or you can pull thru a perpendicular spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive