Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,832,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Classy.

So, she's a young, aggressive, rude little twit with quite the little mouth on her. And you're a sexist old mysoginist with a vulgar mouth to match. Got it.

If my dad were still alive, he'd be 76. He was no saint, but I can't even imagine him using the kind of language you so casually do here.

If young people today are more rude, crude and narcisstic than previous generations, as many insist they are, then we need only look to the current crop of senior citizens to know why.

I thought the same thing when I read that. There are too many vulgar rude people in the world. I would be embarrassed to admit I had done something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,794,986 times
Rule of driving law in most states is, drive at a safe speed, with the posted speed to be the maximum. I have seen many drivers pulled over and given a ticket for driving at the maximum posted speed. They were doing all kinds of things that are illegal to do, to be able to drive at posted speed.

Such as weaving in and out of traffic that is only going 30 miles an hour in a 35 mile an hour posted speed limit. The police will ticket the person that does this, calling it dangerous driving and speeding. Yes speeding as it is speeding under the current traffic flow conditions.

Same thing when driving posted speed on ice, which was dangerous driving again.

Following too close behind a car for safety that was going 5 miles under the speed limit in an attempt to get them to speed up. That is another ticket.

Honking their horn at a slower drive to get them to speed up. Honk your horn for any reason except warning of extreme danger, and that is a ticket in many cities.

My brother in law that was a police sergeant, told me of many instances of people trying to drive the posted speed limits that got tickets for doing so, and how angry they would get. They just as the OP cannot understand that just because it is posted as a maximum speed, does not mean it is the speed that is acceptable under certain driving conditions.

Lets look at how the insurance industry rates senior drivers, vs. younger drivers who are the ones on this thread complaining about older drivers. Young drivers pay through the nose for auto insurance compared to the older drivers they are complaining about. Reason: They are the cause of a lot more accidents.

The Average Car Insurance Rates by Age - CarsDirect

Our insurance premium for 2 drivers in their mid 80s, is One is $300 per year. One is just under $ 500 per year, and the almost new fully loaded Explorer costing just under $60,000 is only $700 per year and we just got notice last Friday our insurance premiums are going down considerably on all 3 vehicles.

2 tickets in over 60 years of driving for me, and my wife none. No accidents that were my fault and none in 25 years. My wife has had one, when she rolled a Silverado Pickup, to avoid hitting two small sports cars that were sliding at her out of control. Rolled 3 times sideways, and then went end for end. She and my sons friend she was delivering home after a weekend at our house, walked away with just some bruises. Both sports cars had no winter tires, driven above the safe driving speed, especially for what they were driving. Unlike other drivers when you cause an accident you check to see if people are alright, these two kids drove off without even stopping as they apparently did not want to get in trouble. Highway patrol officer could see how they had both been sliding sideways tearing up snowy road, and told me when I arrived a little later that there was on way my wife would have kept from killing 2 crazy driving kids (his words), if she had not chosen to leave the highway to avoid killing them.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 AM

8,587 posts, read 11,020,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I thought the same thing when I read that. There are too many vulgar rude people in the world. I would be embarrassed to admit I had done something like that.
She got EXACTLY what she deserved.
When people step out of line with me, they always get what they deserve.

Bob.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:40 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,645,556 times
Most states have laws that require you to drive at least a certain speed or be pulled over. Have been driving down a freeway and come upon a slow moving car . If its older folks they shouldn't be driving on the highway and if its younger folks they just may be under the influence of something.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,327,280 times
I don't think a young person should automatically gang up on an elderly driver just because they're older in and of itself, but regardless of your age, if you get in the way of someone trying to actually GET somewhere, expect to be criticized, and I think it's fair criticism to boot.

"Leave early?" Oh please. That's just transferring the blame to someone else. Why should one have to tolerate excessive slowness? Why shouldn't that sort of driving and their ilk be DESTROYED, frankly? No--to me, the roads are for MOVING and NOTHING ELSE. Period. Now, granted, there are different types of roads with different intended uses, I don't think anyone has any business going down a secluded country road and then complaining that they can't drive fast, they should stick to the roads designed for it. However, if it's a road designed to handle lots of cars, work commuters and such (I'm thinking 4-lane highways and the Interstate)--yes, move or BE MOVED. If you can't run with the big dogs, you stay on the porch.

It's a BIT off-topic, but speaking of how I said "the roads are for moving and nothing else," one thing I'm totally against, something you find in the south a lot--funeral processions, and people pulling over for them. I'm not going to lie--I see one coming, the first thing I do is look for another road to get as far away from it as possible. I DO NOT pull over for them, I don't think I'm legally required to and regardless I flat-out refuse to. I DON'T CARE if it's a southern custom, it's a stupid one frankly and I'm not going to do it.

Think about it--everyday in this country someone dies. If I pulled over everytime someone died, I'd be on the side of the road every minute of everyday. That's a ridiculous thing to ask anyone to do. Regardless--again, the roads are for GOING somewhere, so right now that's what I'm doing, not mourning or paying any respects. Also, if the idea is "respect," wouldn't there be other much better ways to accomplish that? How about, I don't know, actually going to the funeral service itself, or stopping by the home of the surviving family members and spending time with them comforting them in person (an activity which doesn't tie up any traffic, by the way)? Wouldn't that provide far more comfort to such persons than pulling over to the side of the road when you see a hearse?

Not all elderly drivers are slow anyway. My grandfather was not slow at all. He was one who would drive 70 mph back in the 80s when you still had a national 55 mph limit. He was doing this while he was in his 70s. Others who rode with him would be all nervous--me, I was smiling and thoroughly enjoying the experience. He actually was good about not wrecking, too, he just MOVED. As long as they can keep it between the lines (which he usually did), I think such elderly drivers are great.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I see far more 20-30 YO Rico Suaves doing this than old people. The old people in my experience are more likely to put their indicators on ten seconds before changing lanes and wait for a written invitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or just drive with them on because they no longer hear them.... (I no longer hear mine , I do this A LOT)
and then leave the turn signal on for the next 500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
She accepted your offer when she flipped you off.
actually she was telling him he was number one

Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,454,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

"Leave early?" Oh please. That's just transferring the blame to someone else. Why should one have to tolerate excessive slowness? Why shouldn't that sort of driving and their ilk be DESTROYED, frankly? No--to me, the roads are for MOVING and NOTHING ELSE. Period. Now, granted, there are different types of roads with different intended uses, I don't think anyone has any business going down a secluded country road and then complaining that they can't drive fast, they should stick to the roads designed for it. However, if it's a road designed to handle lots of cars, work commuters and such (I'm thinking 4-lane highways and the Interstate)--yes, move or BE MOVED. If you can't run with the big dogs, you stay on the porch.
"BE MOVED" ?? How exactly do you plan on accomplishing that?

Quote:
It's a BIT off-topic, but speaking of how I said "the roads are for moving and nothing else," one thing I'm totally against, something you find in the south a lot--funeral processions, and people pulling over for them. I'm not going to lie--I see one coming, the first thing I do is look for another road to get as far away from it as possible. I DO NOT pull over for them, I don't think I'm legally required to and regardless I flat-out refuse to. I DON'T CARE if it's a southern custom, it's a stupid one frankly and I'm not going to do it.
A bit off topic? This is a completely useless rant that you've babbled on about on several occasions.
But good, go find another road. It's not a southern custom. It's done everywhere.

Quote:
Think about it--everyday in this country someone dies. If I pulled over everytime someone died, I'd be on the side of the road every minute of everyday. That's a ridiculous thing to ask anyone to do.
Oh, I tend to agree. Particularly if every person that died get's brought to your particular city, one after the other for their procession.

Quote:
Regardless--again, the roads are for GOING somewhere, so right now that's what I'm doing, not mourning or paying any respects.

Well, do you think that procession is just....doing a lap around the block? Or, do you think they might have a destination in mind?

Quote:
Also, if the idea is "respect," wouldn't there be other much better ways to accomplish that? How about, I don't know, actually going to the funeral service itself, or stopping by the home of the surviving family members and spending time with them comforting them in person (an activity which doesn't tie up any traffic, by the way)? Wouldn't that provide far more comfort to such persons than pulling over to the side of the road when you see a hearse?

You really have no idea how touching it is to experience people pulling over for someone you've lost, do you?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,418,131 times
Thanks to new NC law I was able to renew my license for five years, on line with no test, they didn't even ask me to identify the turn signal lever.

If the people in NCDMV think it's a good idea to let 16 YO's drive then I think it's a good idea to let me drive without a test even though I'm past 70.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 AM

8,086 posts, read 10,107,307 times
Quote:

... one thing I'm totally against, something you find in the south a lot--funeral processions, and people pulling over for them. I'm not going to lie--I see one coming, the first thing I do is look for another road to get as far away from it as possible. I DO NOT pull over for them, I don't think I'm legally required to and regardless I flat-out refuse to. I DON'T CARE if it's a southern custom, it's a stupid one frankly and I'm not going to do it.

Think about it--everyday in this country someone dies. If I pulled over everytime someone died, I'd be on the side of the road every minute of everyday. That's a ridiculous thing to ask anyone to do. Regardless--again, the roads are for GOING somewhere, so right now that's what I'm doing, not mourning or paying any respects. Also, if the idea is "respect," wouldn't there be other much better ways to accomplish that? How about, I don't know, actually going to the funeral service itself, or stopping by the home of the surviving family members and spending time with them comforting them in person (an activity which doesn't tie up any traffic, by the way)? Wouldn't that provide far more comfort to such persons than pulling over to the side of the road when you see a hearse?

So, let me summarize:

I get frustrated by the courtesy of pulling over to allow a funeral procession to pass unimpeded. I need to be "going" somewhere. (Two minute ordeal).

But as an alternative, I would voluntarily go to the funeral service, or stop by the deceased's house and pay my respects or otherwise comfort the bereaved family? (60 minute ordeal).

Something doesn't jibe with your concept of " I got to be 'going' "

Calm down grasshopper. Those two minutes are a great time for introspection.

When I was your age, I was dashing down the road, senselessly doing all of the things youngsters do in their race to get nowhere.

Now, I am a bit older, and get where I am going way more quickly, and with a LOT less agita, by being smart. You make time when you can.....and don't when you can't. The key is to know the difference.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,937,834 times
Quote:
I don't think a young person should automatically gang up on an elderly driver just because they're older in and of itself, but regardless of your age, if you get in the way of someone trying to actually GET somewhere, expect to be criticized, and I think it's fair criticism to boot.

Not all elderly drivers are slow anyway. My grandfather was not slow at all. He was one who would drive 70 mph back in the 80s when you still had a national 55 mph limit. He was doing this while he was in his 70s. Others who rode with him would be all nervous--me, I was smiling and thoroughly enjoying the experience. He actually was good about not wrecking, too, he just MOVED. As long as they can keep it between the lines (which he usually did), I think such elderly drivers are great.
You do realize that its not just old people that die, lots of young dumb****s kill themselves driving too fast everyday of the week, and that funeral procession just might be for one of them. I'd suggest pulling over for them and take that minute or 2 to think about how you drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive