Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't think a young person should automatically gang up on an elderly driver just because they're older in and of itself, but regardless of your age, if you get in the way of someone trying to actually GET somewhere, expect to be criticized, and I think it's fair criticism to boot.

"Leave early?" Oh please. That's just transferring the blame to someone else. Why should one have to tolerate excessive slowness? Why shouldn't that sort of driving and their ilk be DESTROYED, frankly? No--to me, the roads are for MOVING and NOTHING ELSE. Period. Now, granted, there are different types of roads with different intended uses, I don't think anyone has any business going down a secluded country road and then complaining that they can't drive fast, they should stick to the roads designed for it. However, if it's a road designed to handle lots of cars, work commuters and such (I'm thinking 4-lane highways and the Interstate)--yes, move or BE MOVED. If you can't run with the big dogs, you stay on the porch.

It's a BIT off-topic, but speaking of how I said "the roads are for moving and nothing else," one thing I'm totally against, something you find in the south a lot--funeral processions, and people pulling over for them. I'm not going to lie--I see one coming, the first thing I do is look for another road to get as far away from it as possible. I DO NOT pull over for them, I don't think I'm legally required to and regardless I flat-out refuse to. I DON'T CARE if it's a southern custom, it's a stupid one frankly and I'm not going to do it.

Think about it--everyday in this country someone dies. If I pulled over everytime someone died, I'd be on the side of the road every minute of everyday. That's a ridiculous thing to ask anyone to do. Regardless--again, the roads are for GOING somewhere, so right now that's what I'm doing, not mourning or paying any respects. Also, if the idea is "respect," wouldn't there be other much better ways to accomplish that? How about, I don't know, actually going to the funeral service itself, or stopping by the home of the surviving family members and spending time with them comforting them in person (an activity which doesn't tie up any traffic, by the way)? Wouldn't that provide far more comfort to such persons than pulling over to the side of the road when you see a hearse?

Not all elderly drivers are slow anyway. My grandfather was not slow at all. He was one who would drive 70 mph back in the 80s when you still had a national 55 mph limit. He was doing this while he was in his 70s. Others who rode with him would be all nervous--me, I was smiling and thoroughly enjoying the experience. He actually was good about not wrecking, too, he just MOVED. As long as they can keep it between the lines (which he usually did), I think such elderly drivers are great.
I would pull over for your funeral. I would also follow you to the cemetery and to further show my respect for you I would pour a bottle of Jack Danial's on your grave, but I would drink it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
hopefully you'll pick up some good responses from this thread OP, you'll need them when it's your turn to be the elderly driver

it will be here before you know it LOL

Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Ok, I'll play

I am 68. I can STILL parallel park my old GMC 4-wheel drive with my 4-horse stock trailer attached, if there is a 2+ car spot available.

I have hauled my horses cross-country on interstates, and down logging trails that I wondered what was I thinking, about an eighth mile in.

It has been my lifelong observation that, if you are a POS driver when you're young, you are going to be an even bigger POS driver when you are old.

As for the people my age (or any age really) who think they are being cute by tying up the passing lane? Believe me, if I could get away with it, the rear bumper your idiot a** would be hooked to the cow catcher on my old 4-wheel drive and you'd be going for the ride of your life.

Learn to drive when you get your license so you won't be a moron when you're a senior.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
^^^^

Glad you have a big cow catcher but do you know what to do with it when you catch one?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
^^^^

Glad you have a big cow catcher but do you know what to do with it when you catch one?
Skin it, cut it up and hang it in the smokehouse

At least that's what dad did when the milk cows stopped producing.

In this day and age, I would probably get arrested for having a smokehouse on the property, before I got nailed for killing the cow, lollol

Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
..."Leave early?" Oh please. That's just transferring the blame to someone else. Why should one have to tolerate excessive slowness? Why shouldn't that sort of driving and their ilk be DESTROYED, frankly? No--to me, the roads are for MOVING and NOTHING ELSE. Period. Now, granted, there are different types of roads with different intended uses, I don't think anyone has any business going down a secluded country road and then complaining that they can't drive fast, they should stick to the roads designed for it. However, if it's a road designed to handle lots of cars, work commuters and such (I'm thinking 4-lane highways and the Interstate)--yes, move or BE MOVED. If you can't run with the big dogs, you stay on the porch.
Entitlement is strong with this one, Yoda. Look -- when I started working in a city 20 miles away, it took me a half hour to get to the freeway, get off the freeway, drive to the garage, park and walk the two blocks to work. Eight years later, it was taking me 45 minutes.

Getting to the freeway, driving to the garage and walking to work -- all took the same time. It was the freeway that changed. More and more people -- who legally use the road -- were driving, too. And traffic slowed because of the number of people on the road. So yeah -- I couldn't blame all those other people -- I had to LEAVE EARLY.

The roads are not YOURS. The roads are OURS. We have to find a way to co-exist on these roads TOGETHER.

And when I worked and drove in normal traffic hours, I drove in the left lane at a "normal speed" of 75-80.... keeping pace with traffic flow, so I was not a slowpoke.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
My replies.

Funeral processions. I stand by what I said. Someone died whom I didn't know and don't give two turds about. I honestly could care less, and have no interest in being inconvenienced for even 3 seconds on account of it involuntarily. If it is someone I did know and do care about, and I wish to show my sympathy, then I can choose to go to the funeral, park my car off the road and out of the way, and spend time with surviving family members letting them speak from the heart. The road is not the time and place for that, and it shouldn't be forced on me against my will. In fact, if anyone wants to speak of "selfishness," to me the selfishness lies with people who think they are right to FORCE me to stop what I'm doing and pay homage to every single person who's died today while I'm in the middle of something. And no, it doesn't matter what I'm in the middle of, either.

Heck I think traffic accidents should be cleared quickly, and the cops should place just as much priority on putting warning signs ahead of the wreck so people can know and detour before it's too late as they should the accident itself. The inconveniencing such accidents cause other people aren't taken seriously enough. It's not that hard to send 4-5 cops to the scene of the accident itself and 2 others on the road leading into it to place signs a good 2-3 miles ahead of the wreck or so in order that people can know and go around it all. On top of that, people who "rubberneck" should have their license revoked. The emergency staff are already on the scene, what are you going to do? Keep moving.

The roads are not yours. That's actually what I'm saying. Slow people are being selfish to inflict their slowness on others. If there is any "entitlement" here, it's on people driving below the speed limit in the slow lane, taking 5 seconds to go when the light turns green (and those 5 seconds do count on lights with a short cycle), and not even trying to go faster or yield to others with the ability to go faster. I'm not interested in "co-existing" with a slow person, I'm interested in them learning to go faster, staying out of the way, or getting BLOWN out of the way by force. As my grandfather used to say, and he was someone who had no encounters with the police or such, I'd love for a bulldozer going 80mph to end up behind them with their brakes having failed to FORCE them off the road. You're darned right. It's the same as how George Carlin used to say "don't you wish sometimes rather than those cute headlights you had 50 caliber machine guns?"

Slam me all you want, I don't care. I feel the way I do and don't intend to change. It doesn't mean I'm going 70 in a 40, heck I typically set the cruise control to the speed limit or maybe 3-4 mph over it and I'm very peaceful most times. However, put things in my way that have me going 15-20 mph below the speed limit or having to stop altogether--I'm not standing for that without a (legal) fight.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
This whole thread is proof of why the roads are so much fun to drive on. We have people who think they have the right to shove old slow drivers off the road, we have people who see all the young people who get irritated with old slow drivers as "entitled". You have people who see it as their right to drive however they want without regard to how it effects others. No one will admit it but I bet half the drivers posting here text and drive, fix their hair etc. Its no wonder there is so much road rage and so many terrible accidents.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This whole thread is proof of why the roads are so much fun to drive on. We have people who think they have the right to shove old slow drivers off the road, we have people who see all the young people who get irritated with old slow drivers as "entitled". You have people who see it as their right to drive however they want without regard to how it effects others. No one will admit it but I bet half the drivers posting here text and drive, fix their hair etc. Its no wonder there is so much road rage and so many terrible accidents.
I stand by what I said. If drivers would do what they are supposed to do, instead driving in such a way that begets personal satisfaction toward another driver, life on the roads would be a lot less stressful.

I was in in the rear of a string of traffic, yesterday, doing 40 in a 55, in a no passing zone, on the state highway. The person leading the pack was responsible for that speed. It was only a little irritating because I was on my way home from an appointment and in my Saturn.

Had I been pulling the horse trailer, I Would have regretted being so far back in the pack, as I would have taken his license number and turned him or her in. Not to mention my truck is standard shift, 40 MPH would have cost me a gear, pulling the horses. Not only would THAT have P.O.'d me, it would have sucked the crap out of my gas mileage.

Texting----no argument there. I won't answer my cell phone, when I'm driving much less text. There have been local news segments regarding the increase in accidents due to texting while driving.

Talking on the cell is risky enough but, texting while driving is just plain moronic.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Dear, 17-30 year old male drivers. Remember what happened to Paul Walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive