Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 03:23 PM

21 posts, read 15,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
When the 2016 Malibu comes out there will probably be some strong deals on the 2015's.
I was thinking about that, I'm sure they will. Ill have to go to the dealer and see what kind of deals they have on the 15's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 03:25 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCR View Post
Oh wow, must be a good car then haha. And how do you like that Taurus? My dad used to own I believe a 2010 Taurus, he really liked it. It had a lot of room

The Taurus' I have/had weren't today's, which your dad has. They are actually what the Fusion is a follow on to.

We had 5, one sedan was traded for another sedan that was totaled. We still have the 3 wagons (rather our oldest son now has 2 of the 3). They all still run, two from 1995 and the 2002. One of the '95s has 250K on the odometer while the '02 is at 230K. The other '95 is at about 150K. All were bought new (well, we inherited one of the '95s from my father in law. It had about 20K on it at 10 years old).

Old 07-25-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Taurus' I have/had weren't today's, which your dad has. They are actually what the Fusion is a follow on to.

We had 5, one sedan was traded for another sedan that was totaled. We still have the 3 wagons (rather our oldest son now has 2 of the 3). They all still run, two from 1995 and the 2002. One of the '95s has 250K on the odometer while the '02 is at 230K. The other '95 is at about 150K. All were bought new (well, we inherited one of the '95s from my father in law. It had about 20K on it at 10 years old).
Wow, 250k.. Fords do run strong. I didn't know the Fusion was a follow on from the old Taurus's

Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Wow, 250k.. Fords do run strong. I didn't know the Fusion was a follow on from the old Taurus's

Yeah, Ford got rid of the Taurus name and released the 500 (drove dealers nuts) which was bigger and that was slated to replace the Crown Vic. The 500 got renamed to Taurus a couple years later to help boost sales.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Ford got rid of the Taurus name and released the 500 (drove dealers nuts) which was bigger and that was slated to replace the Crown Vic. The 500 got renamed to Taurus a couple years later to help boost sales.
Come to think about that, I remember my dad telling me about that.

I was just looking at the fusion and I would be able to get into a base model fusion for about 214 a month. Thats with a down payment and a trade in.

How is Subaru's reliability and their warranty?

Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Come to think about that, I remember my dad telling me about that.

I was just looking at the fusion and I would be able to get into a base model fusion for about 214 a month. Thats with a down payment and a trade in.

How is Subaru's reliability and their warranty?
So far ours has been very good. A couple of brake jobs and a new battery (preemptive replacement for that).

The tires are original, I'll likely replace them this Fall because they're aging out, but they still have at least 25K worth of tread on them. I don't know whether Yokohama has some secret formula or because most of the driving has been highway but, damn, they've lasted.

The warranty is the standard one most of the makes have. There have been a couple recalls, one for a chip to increase mileage and one to inspect brake lines for rusting, but we've had zero warranty work done it other than those two things.

It's said that people who get a Subaru become converts. I haven't, but then again I don't drive it often. I do wish they made a full size pick up so maybe I have been converted.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
I really appreciate your detailed reply. One of the things I was looking at was that I could get an upgraded model Compact car the the price of a base model Midsize. I would also have to agree about GM's reliability on new engines. My price range is around 25k with a down payment, so I am open to looking at some mid size sedans.

I actually like the Impreza, is there any downfall or plus side to the hatchback model? Also same question for the Mazda3? And do you like your Elantra? I have never been big on Hyundai but I see plenty of them on the road as well have a family member that owns a Sonata.
I like my Elantra. I'm not a fast driver. It has enough acceleration for 0-45 which means it takes off well from a dead stop. The Elantra GT & Forte5 are their brands' European models, Kia Cee'd & Hyundai i30. They both offer a more European handling feel. Advantage of all the compact hatchbacks is storage. Fold down the back seat and you have plenty of room for personal items like if moving to an apartment. The price range you listed means you can get a fully loaded compact without the sport engine for most compact sedans. I wanted a hatch but this was a bit more expensive than the sedan. With all the compacts, if you go to the up level engine, you sacrifice the fuel economy available on the base engine. With your price you could consider a VW diesel especially if most of your driving is highway miles. Even though the up level engines offer less fuel economy, this doesn't make them bad fuel economy. You have to decide if the performance gains are worth the loss of a few MPG. With Elantra, you can get plenty of features for your price.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I like my Elantra. I'm not a fast driver. It has enough acceleration for 0-45 which means it takes off well from a dead stop. The Elantra GT & Forte5 are their brands' European models, Kia Cee'd & Hyundai i30. They both offer a more European handling feel. Advantage of all the compact hatchbacks is storage. Fold down the back seat and you have plenty of room for personal items like if moving to an apartment. The price range you listed means you can get a fully loaded compact without the sport engine for most compact sedans. I wanted a hatch but this was a bit more expensive than the sedan. With all the compacts, if you go to the up level engine, you sacrifice the fuel economy available on the base engine. With your price you could consider a VW diesel especially if most of your driving is highway miles. Even though the up level engines offer less fuel economy, this doesn't make them bad fuel economy. You have to decide if the performance gains are worth the loss of a few MPG. With Elantra, you can get plenty of features for your price.

I did a payment calculator on the Elantra and it came out to about 170 a month for the sport model with a down payment and a trade in. I have been looking at the VW diesel as well, heard they have one of the best diesels for a sedan.

And I think if I was to go with a car that had a hatchback option I would definitely take it

Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
So far ours has been very good. A couple of brake jobs and a new battery (preemptive replacement for that).

The tires are original, I'll likely replace them this Fall because they're aging out, but they still have at least 25K worth of tread on them. I don't know whether Yokohama has some secret formula or because most of the driving has been highway but, damn, they've lasted.

The warranty is the standard one most of the makes have. There have been a couple recalls, one for a chip to increase mileage and one to inspect brake lines for rusting, but we've had zero warranty work done it other than those two things.

It's said that people who get a Subaru become converts. I haven't, but then again I don't drive it often. I do wish they made a full size pick up so maybe I have been converted.
I will definitely have to go down the the Subaru dealership and test drive some cars. They make a few cars I have had my eye on

Old 07-25-2015, 05:06 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
What's crazy about the Elantra is most people hit their head on the top of the door opening as they get in the driver's seat but once in they have plenty of head room thanks to the adjustable driver seat height. My brother- in-law is about 6'3" tall and nearly 300 lbs. when he got in my driver's seat he remarked he had more head room than in the Chevy Malibu. Rear seat also has plenty of head room despite the coupe like sloping roof line. My niece has a 2013 Ford Focus sedan and my Elantra has more rear leg room and feels wider when sitting inside with doors closed. My sister drives a Jetta and it has good room. It's mechanically the same as the Golf. She hasn't had trouble with her Jetta. The big plus on the Passat is the interior feels massively huge for its class. It's exterior styling is forgettable. Even Camry and Accord have better exterior styling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive