Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times

Advertisements

Rust can be a real problem.

It can get into the structural areas of the frame and cause the car to lose a lot of strength.

I once worked on a Toyota Landcruiser, which has an encapsulated frame, VERY rigid, and rust had eaten away at least 50% of the steel inside of the frame where there is very little paint/protective coating to repel rust. The vehicle had been shipped from upstate New York, and was basically a total. It would have needed a frame swap to be safe to drive.

The other thing was that ALL the bolts/fasteners were frozen with rust, you couldn't even change a shock absorber without having to snap off all the bolts. Routine maintenance alone would have been a nightmare.

Consider selling or scrapping your rig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You mean "cover" the rust issues. You can state that till you're blue in the face, but you can't stop corrosion once it's started. Unless of course, you are proposing the OP grab a grinder and bring the undercarriage down to bare, clean metal, prime it, paint it, and THEN oil spray it

Not about restoring a car to new condition. Just stopping further rust.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Rust never sleeps.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Same problem right now with a 13 year old Suburban from WI now located in TX and the rust is taking a toll on the front end, which is susceptible to issues due to the weight of the vehicle anyway. Based on the age and knowing there is challenges ahead I highly suggest you plan on a replacement sooner rather than later or you may be walking.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It won't stop further rust. Once it starts it keeps going until you grind it out. You can make your false statements all day long and they won't be any truer. Do you by chance sell this magical snake oil and you believe your own press?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Mechanics in the northeast are used to seeing it on old cars, probably a shock for many of them down south. I'm actually looking at cars down in that area to bring back here and saw one with underbody that looked like new, that car had 120K on it.

There is one product I saw on the market and I'm wondering how well it works. It chemically alters the rust to help halt the corrosion. Then you have to prime or paint it. If this actually works it would certainly be the best thing to do becsue you'll be able to get into all those nooks and crannies. If you had a low mileage vehicle might be worth researching.

Simply painting it or covering it up with undercoating will help a little but it's just band aid. Those products are meant to be applied before it starts rusting.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Mechanics in the northeast are used to seeing it on old cars, probably a shock for many of them down south. I'm actually looking at cars down in that area to bring back here and saw one with underbody that looked like new, that car had 120K on it.

There is one product I saw on the market and I'm wondering how well it works.
It chemically alters the rust to help halt the corrosion. Then you have to prime or paint it. If this actually works it would certainly be the best thing to do becsue you'll be able to get into all those nooks and crannies. If you had a low mileage vehicle might be worth researching.

Simply painting it or covering it up with undercoating will help a little but it's just band aid. Those products are meant to be applied before it starts rusting.
whats it called ? might check into it.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
I don't remember, if I recall correctly it changes it back into a metal. It's not the original steel but nonetheless a metal.

That said you have car with 200K on it. Rust or no rust it's probably going soon, run it until it dies or they won't inspect it anymore. Like I said I don't know how well this process works but if I was going to do it I'd research it some more and it would have to be lower mileage car with minor rust.

I've had to deal with rust constantly with my trucks between the salt on the roads and sulfur water from the coal. It's always a losing battle in the end. You can only hope to slow it down.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Rust never sleeps.
Hey, hey, my, my.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Which is fine if you just want to look at it in your garage. It sounds like the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised already, and it really is reaching the end of its useful life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive