Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 80,833 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in need of some advise here.
I went to a dealer this time to avoid the pain of getting my car Checked for previous Accidents or damages by other shops. So I bought a 2012 Honda Accord SE recently from an Independent dealer who had a 4-5 start rating. The Car had Clean Carfax.
When i test drove the Car it had some Noise coming in from Tires, which the Dealer said that he can get Tires replaced after few months of Run.
But when i suspected that it might be a wheel bearing noise, I went to Honda car dealership for a diagnostic test. There they have confirmed that the Tire has unusual wearing and can be replaced and its not Wheel Bearing Noise.
However, the Service consultant told me tat the Car had been in An Accident in past.

what Choices now I am left with? I really have no clue on what are my options now. I feel like i am cheated. The thing that Mechanic at service station can tell in half an hour is something that anyone can tell and m really worried about the future effects when i try to sell this car.

Please help on options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Not much you can do, unless you can prove the dealership knew about the accident and hid it from you. Carfax only reports what gets reported to them. Carfax is mealy one tool to use when buying a car. noyjing beats a ore purchase inspection from a mechanic you trust.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Not much you can do, unless you can prove the dealership knew about the accident and hid it from you. Carfax only reports what gets reported to them. Carfax is mealy one tool to use when buying a car. noyjing beats a ore purchase inspection from a mechanic you trust.
But when we go to dealership, they might not allow us to go to a mechanic and get the Car checked before you purchase it. Atleast that's what i thought.
I am yet to call the Dealer and discuss my options, but i am looking to put is something that can minimize my damage. Trade In? Resell?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yes, Carfax is useful if an accident or other problem was reported, but is not perfect. Many people will not report the accident, and will have a "friend" do the repairs or do it themself to avoid the insurance increases. Even if they paid, not all body shops report. Did you finance it? If so, I would talk to your insurance provider about adding gap insurance. Ours is only $10 every 6 months. If the car is stolen or totaled it will pay the difference from what you owe and the value. If they find out about the previous accident and condition,
they might give you well below the loan amount. I would suggest first thing that you talk to the dealer, ask for the head person. Then if they won't take it back that you talk to an attorney specializing in consumer protection, and perhaps a local consumer TV reporter.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, Carfax is useful if an accident or other problem was reported, but is not perfect. Many people will not report the accident, and will have a "friend" do the repairs or do it themself to avoid the insurance increases. Even if they paid, not all body shops report. Did you finance it? If so, I would talk to your insurance provider about adding gap insurance. Ours is only $10 every 6 months. If the car is stolen or totaled it will pay the difference from what you owe and the value. If they find out about the previous accident and condition,
they might give you well below the loan amount. I would suggest first thing that you talk to the dealer, ask for the head person. Then if they won't take it back that you talk to an attorney specializing in consumer protection, and perhaps a local consumer TV reporter.
Ok. let me talk to the Dealer first and see what he says about same. Thanks for Your advise. i shall repost with my findings.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikscares View Post
But when we go to dealership, they might not allow us to go to a mechanic and get the Car checked before you purchase it. Atleast that's what i thought.
I am yet to call the Dealer and discuss my options, but i am looking to put is something that can minimize my damage. Trade In? Resell?
If they will not let take the car to get check out, then it's a dealer that you do not want to buy from. I've bought plenty of used cars and have yet to run into a dealer that said no to an inspection

Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikscares View Post
Hi,

I am in need of some advise here.
I went to a dealer this time to avoid the pain of getting my car Checked for previous Accidents or damages by other shops. So I bought a 2012 Honda Accord SE recently from an Independent dealer who had a 4-5 start rating. The Car had Clean Carfax.
When i test drove the Car it had some Noise coming in from Tires, which the Dealer said that he can get Tires replaced after few months of Run.
But when i suspected that it might be a wheel bearing noise, I went to Honda car dealership for a diagnostic test. There they have confirmed that the Tire has unusual wearing and can be replaced and its not Wheel Bearing Noise.
However, the Service consultant told me tat the Car had been in An Accident in past.

what Choices now I am left with? I really have no clue on what are my options now. I feel like i am cheated. The thing that Mechanic at service station can tell in half an hour is something that anyone can tell and m really worried about the future effects when i try to sell this car.

Please help on options.
Worn tires can, indeed sound like wheel bearings gone bad.

But how did the Service Consultant know the car had been in an accident? Did he show you the evidence?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Worn tires can, indeed sound like wheel bearings gone bad.

But how did the Service Consultant know the car had been in an accident? Did he show you the evidence?
No, he has not shown me the Evidence. He just stated it on the Note that Car has been in an Accident.

I am trying ti get hold of same consultant before to get more details on same and then i can call dealer after i know the severity of the Accident that he states.

sorry if i posted this too soon, but i just found it out Today that he has a Bold Note saying "Car has been in an Accident in Past" on the receipt.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:51 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I think carfax is waste of time because I had a 08 Subaru STI had 15k worth of insurance work done to it when a co-worker backed into it with his truck. My wife backed out of our driveway with it into my mothers car smashing the the side of her car in and the back end of our car. My wife left the parking brake off in a parking lot it was a manual transmission popped out of gear rolled and smashed into another car. All of that was fixed by insurance over the years we had it. Last year I had it up in CL for 22k and 1 guy offered 21k he wanted a carfax. I told him it had some work done to it, so I pulled a carfax on it nothing was there. I later told that guy it has been in 3 collisions he didn't buy it. I ended up at the dealer and I didn't tell them anything I brought the carfax with me they gave me 22k trade in. I would not waste any money on carfax I think it's a scam and obvious the insurance industry is not reporting to carfax.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Carfax is useless unless it shows something bad. Which it rarely does.

However, if a 2012 car had any significant damage, enough for insurance to pay for, it should show up on Carfax. But if it was just a tiny fender bender or scratched paint job it probably won't show up on CF, as it was probably below the insurance's deductible amount and paid in cash.

If this "service consultant" has a reason to believe this car was in an accident he should have stated why....and more importantly you should have asked why. If it's a paint thing...let it go. If he saw some frame damage that is a different story.

Me? I'd have the tires replaced now by that dealer if they agreed to it. If it seems fine after that....be happy and fuggetaboutit.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive