Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not always true........

For instance, the features I want all come on either a custom ordered Lariat, or a standard edition Platinum. That Platinum is almost $8k more than my FX4. It is going to cost me the following to get the interior up to Platinum trim:

Stereo upgrade to include 6 new speakers, one subwoofer, an amp, the head unit, and backup camera: $650 - total install time ~6 hrs

Heated seats (already have leather): $85 (using an OEM style kit) - total install time ~ 4 hrs

Remote start - $250 including taking it to an install shop

The only exterior difference is the grille, the rims, and the lettering on the bedsides.

So for around $1k, I can option out my truck just like the Platinum. That leaves me with a $7k savings over buying a Platinum.

If you cannot do the work yourself, then add about $1,200 to have all of the items above installed at a shop. You'd still come out with about $5,800 in savings.

I think the biggest issue is that people are afraid to take the time to learn how to do it, and not everyone has the ability or the desire to tackle these kinds of projects. But at the end of the day, I'll know exactly what I have and what I have invested in it. I spent a total of about 2 hrs searching for all of the components I'll need.

OP.... if you find a vehicle you like, don't be afraid to buy it if it's missing one or two luxuries. Everything you want can be added with no problem. All it takes is a little bit of patience to get it all done. I don't personally see the sense in spending an extra few grand just for instant gratification.
Agreed! I've told my wife that when I am ready to buy a used vehicle, that I might target the cheaper ones without the goodies and add those goodies after the fact. If I can buy a $10k 4Runner that's in good shape, straight out with cash, then I know that vehicle is mine all mine! Spending another $3k installing what I want on it would still be cheaper than having to go out and not only find the trim level that offers these options, but having to buy a newer version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Not always true........

For instance, the features I want all come on either a custom ordered Lariat, or a standard edition Platinum. That Platinum is almost $8k more than my FX4. It is going to cost me the following to get the interior up to Platinum trim:

Stereo upgrade to include 6 new speakers, one subwoofer, an amp, the head unit, and backup camera: $650 - total install time ~6 hrs

Heated seats (already have leather): $85 (using an OEM style kit) - total install time ~ 4 hrs

The only exterior difference is the grille, the rims, and the lettering on the bedsides.

So for around $1k, I can option out my truck just like the Platinum. That leaves me with a $7k savings over buying a Platinum.

If you cannot do the work yourself, then add about $1,200 to have all of the items above installed at a shop. You'd still come out with about $5,800 in savings.

I think the biggest issue is that people are afraid to take the time to learn how to do it, and not everyone has the ability or the desire to tackle these kinds of projects. But at the end of the day, I'll know exactly what I have and what I have invested in it. I spent a total of about 2 hrs searching for all of the components I'll need.

OP.... if you find a vehicle you like, don't be afraid to buy it if it's missing one or two luxuries. Everything you want can be added with no problem. All it takes is a little bit of patience to get it all done. I don't personally see the sense in spending an extra few grand just for instant gratification.
With all the tech stuff going into cars these days many times it is better to just get the full option car from the start especially if you want land detection warning, advanced cruise control, heated front/side mirrors, memory seats, rear sun shades, moonroof, HID lights, HUD, etc. Many of these are integrated into main info/nav screen.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
With all the tech stuff going into cars these days many times it is better to just get the full option car from the start especially if you want land detection warning, advanced cruise control, heated front/side mirrors, memory seats, rear sun shades, moonroof, HID lights, HUD, etc. Many of these are integrated into main info/nav screen.
I think it's all in what you're used to. For me, having heated seats and a good sounding stereo system would be enough for me to be comfortable. I don't have a back up camera, but I've seen it installed on a mid 2000's model 4Runner, so I know it's doable.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think it's all in what you're used to. For me, having heated seats and a good sounding stereo system would be enough for me to be comfortable. I don't have a back up camera, but I've seen it installed on a mid 2000's model 4Runner, so I know it's doable.
Also a question of how integrated you want it to look. If you don't have navigation but want backup camera you are going to have an extra display screen on your dash just for the backup camera. it will look awkward and out of place. Otherwise go all out with aftermarket NAV with backup camera.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Also a question of how integrated you want it to look. If you don't have navigation but want backup camera you are going to have an extra display screen on your dash just for the backup camera. it will look awkward and out of place. Otherwise go all out with aftermarket NAV with backup camera.

OR....... just replace the rear view mirror with the new mirror that has the camera integrated in it. Then you don't need the second monitor. Many vehicles have the camera now without a nav unit, so this is how they get around it.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
As what Nlambert said, they make the rearview mirrors with the backup camera display built in. So, it doesn't have to be integrated in the dash.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Ah, I see. I thought GM should have included an LS6 engine complete with long tube headers and high flow cats so I did my own. Plus a short throw shifter.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Not always true........

Sure, you can find specific examples where it's cheaper to customize a lower trim vehicle, but on average it's not.

I've always found these projects amusing. One guy decided to retrofit every option available on a E46 BMW and it was really entertaining to see the build thread. It took him something like 5 months to actually retrofit the stock navigation system and get it working properly. Of course, in his case he hasn't doing this to "save money" it was just a hobby - and he freely admitted there was nothing practical about spending several years of his life on it. Another local guy did the same for a E34 M5, and just sourcing the glass roof panel took him 8 months and thousands of $ - and he owns a shop!

It's not so much about being afraid to do it, it's that once you take into account the value of your time it's not practical.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Sure, you can find specific examples where it's cheaper to customize a lower trim vehicle, but on average it's not.

I've always found these projects amusing. One guy decided to retrofit every option available on a E46 BMW and it was really entertaining to see the build thread. It took him something like 5 months to actually retrofit the stock navigation system and get it working properly. Of course, in his case he hasn't doing this to "save money" it was just a hobby - and he freely admitted there was nothing practical about spending several years of his life on it. Another local guy did the same for a E34 M5, and just sourcing the glass roof panel took him 8 months and thousands of $ - and he owns a shop!

It's not so much about being afraid to do it, it's that once you take into account the value of your time it's not practical.
In terms of the 4Runner, specifically, I think a lot of these features are more standard in the models after 2010 at least. You're talking about a vehicle that even at 5 years old, still fetches a price over $20,000. If person found a 10 year old 4Runner for about $13,000, and installed $3k worth of tech, they still come out on top going this route.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Based on documented fact or based on you saying so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive