Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times

Advertisements

Like my last post,

That's like with the 350 V8 in my suburban. When you put it in regular drive and get it to a 3rd gear it will scream loud at about 50 to 50 mph. But put it in OD it will go far up to 75 mph. I don't go up to 80 because I fear I might throw a rode at that high scream rpms.

My transmission is a 700r4 with short gear ratios. I can get off the line quick and it accelerates like a sports car short of speak.

The last suburban I had was 2wd 350 700r4, it had long gear ratio and acceled slow compared to the one I have now .The one i have now is 4wheel drive, same year like my last one (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Low revvers is right.. I had a 5/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne that was a milsurp AF tug on the tarmac. 6.2L mated to a 3spd, no OD auto tranny and 4:56 axles. I used for a firewood truck and a trolling rig at hunting camp, lol. Top speed- 50mph and it was SCREAMING.

Only had 6,000 miles when I bought. I sold it to a kid who over revved it and blew the 6.2.

Out of all the trucks I have ever owned- the 6.2 was the doggiest of the bunch.

Last edited by Blackandgold51; 08-31-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I know- it was a tug. 4:56 gears and a 3spd tranny no OD makes a tug boat.. But the 6.2 was still a dog of a motor..

With that truck, in low 4wd, I could inch my way down a steep logging road with ever setting foot on the gas or brake (as long as I had traction)

Problem was the smoke trail and diesel fog left behind, scared all the deer away, lol.
The 6.2 NA (naturally aspirated) engine was originally designed as a "light duty" Diesel, that would mimic the torque output, and horse power of a 305 (5.0L) small block gasser, with superior fuel economy. At that job, it excelled.

It was never meant to compete with the "medium duty" Power Strokes, Cummins, and DuraMax.

The inherent deficiencies of the 6.2 came into focus when they were compared to the other engines listed above. Many of those deficiencies could be overcome with simple bolt on modifications, while others required extensive work.

Sounds, quite frankly, like your engine may have had some issues. Heavy smoke, depending on color can diagnose problems in and of itself. Heavy black smoke is "overfueling", literally unburnt Diesel fuel going right out the tail pipe. A waste of fuel. Some people think that "rolling coal" is "cool". So they will go in and fiddle with the mechanical bits, and or reflash their computers on the electronic models to make that happen.

White smoke is likely leaky injectors, a problem that may eventually burn holes thru the top of your pistons. The lift pump, injection pump, and injectors are the heart of the motor. If there is a problem any where along the fuel delivery route, (like a clogged filter) there will be very noticeable losses of power.

A healthy tuned Diesel should have a light haze of greyish smoke at heavy acceleration off the line.

CN.......

Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
The 6.2 NA (naturally aspirated) engine was originally designed as a "light duty" Diesel, that would mimic the torque output, and horse power of a 305 (5.0L) small block gasser, with superior fuel economy. At that job, it excelled.

It was never meant to compete with the "medium duty" Power Strokes, Cummins, and DuraMax.

The inherent deficiencies of the 6.2 came into focus when they were compared to the other engines listed above. Many of those deficiencies could be overcome with simple bolt on modifications, while others required extensive work.

Sounds, quite frankly, like your engine may have had some issues. Heavy smoke, depending on color can diagnose problems in and of itself. Heavy black smoke is "overfueling", literally unburnt Diesel fuel going right out the tail pipe. A waste of fuel. Some people think that "rolling coal" is "cool". So they will go in and fiddle with the mechanical bits, and or reflash their computers on the electronic models to make that happen.

White smoke is likely leaky injectors, a problem that may eventually burn holes thru the top of your pistons. The lift pump, injection pump, and injectors are the heart of the motor. If there is a problem any where along the fuel delivery route, (like a clogged filter) there will be very noticeable losses of power.

A healthy tuned Diesel should have a light haze of greyish smoke at heavy acceleration off the line.

CN.......
The 6.2 diesel was short of like a economical diesel compared to a regular car diesellike a Mercedes Benz, difference is this time the engine is in a large truck/suv, for better fuel mileage.

Not for heavy duty use. It's like if you wanted economical with light duty, you go with a 6.2, but if you want a heavy duty engine you go with 454 gas,Cummins, international, or duramax.

I guess the reason why people had trouble with their diesels of the 6.2 was because they were using it like it was a heavy duty diesel and abusing itwhich was not the right thing to do.

By the way, I have a buddy a mine who's a tow truck driver that had a 1999 Silverado 3500 with a 6.5 Turbo in it. Truck was a flatbed. I'd did good(he even towed a helicopter once on his flatbed), he got rid of it last year. It went out because he didn't take care of it that much. I forgot the mileage numbers on the odometer but I think it was around 4 to 500 thousand miles

Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
There are some essential components of a diesel.. (MASS / robust). 'Light duty' is scary thought.

Even my 48hp VW diesels have a 5 main bearing crankshaft.

I will stick with my 20 mpg (Heavy Duty / commercial duty) Cummins 5.9 in something as heavy as a Suburban / 1/2 ton+ truck. and appreciate it's 1 m mile service life.

Nothing comes for free...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:16 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post

CN.......
Mine was a firewood truck, and it was good at that. But I didn't put any $ into it other than the $2,000 I paid for it. Ran it for 4 years, sold it for more than I paid for it.

It smoked, it was doggy, but it delivered firewood from the mountains to my house. In that regard it was a good truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive