Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 PM

797 posts, read 1,751,379 times

Advertisements

Edmunds and KBB tell us a price range we should expect and we are finding that dealerships significantly mark up used car prices. This is my first car buying experience in CA.. Back home (MA) we didn't have to deal with that so much on used cars (in my experience at least). The dealers here are acting offended that we are offering what we feel are fair prices and they won't even try to meet us in the middle.

Is there not much room for negotiation on a used vehicle? For example we looked at a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 131k miles, 3 owners, listed at $12500. Ideally we didn't want to pay more than $10k. We looked at edmunds and kbb gave us estimates in the $6k range. We initially offered $8k, figuring we'd meet somewhere around 9/10k which we feel is fair for buying at a dealership... But Apparently we are "rude" because we were told to leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
As to the question, it's impossible to say because no one but the dealer knows how much money they have in the car, so no one but the dealer knows what the best deal is. Used cars are unique and it's harder to say the negotiating room is.

Also, just buy a damn car. You've got like 15 threads about this. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It depends on how well the person trading it in did on their negotiation. If the dealer acquired it for $4,000 they could sell it for $5,000 and still make money.
Blue book value is more for insurance settlements, dealers will pay as little as possible and sell for as much as they can. How long it's been on the lot, the popularity of the make/model, and how many other cars they have sold that day make a big difference in how low they will go.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
There's no set markup. Some dealers don't negotiate at all, some have all kinds of negotiating room, some are between the extremes. KBB and Edmunds, etc. will give you a good idea of the actual value. You can also get the Blue Book price that most dealers use from a bank, as they use it for getting loan value.

A dealership that will tell you to leave because your offer was too low isn't one I'd want to buy from anyway. You did the right thing; the dealership lost a potential customer.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
As to the question, it's impossible to say because no one but the dealer knows how much money they have in the car, so no one but the dealer knows what the best deal is. Used cars are unique and it's harder to say the negotiating room is.

Also, just buy a damn car. You've got like 15 threads about this. It's not rocket science.
It may not be rocket science but it is a big investment for my family. If seeing my questions about cars bothers you, feel free to keep scrolling. This forum within city-data has always been so helpful and seemingly snark free, but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for your input nonetheless. Like I said, back home I had a different experience which was perhaps unique to me because this time around things are quite different.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It depends on how well the person trading it in did on their negotiation. If the dealer acquired it for $4,000 they could sell it for $5,000 and still make money.
Blue book value is more for insurance settlements, dealers will pay as little as possible and sell for as much as they can. How long it's been on the lot, the popularity of the make/model, and how many other cars they have sold that day make a big difference in how low they will go.
Gotcha. I think tomorrow when we go car shopping I'm going to ask about how long they've had it and also see how many others they have in that make/model. Thanks for your input

Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
There's no set markup. Some dealers don't negotiate at all, some have all kinds of negotiating room, some are between the extremes. KBB and Edmunds, etc. will give you a good idea of the actual value. You can also get the Blue Book price that most dealers use from a bank, as they use it for getting loan value.

A dealership that will tell you to leave because your offer was too low isn't one I'd want to buy from anyway. You did the right thing; the dealership lost a potential customer.
Is the Blue Book price something that only the dealership would have access to? Or would it be something I could research on my own?

And thanks. I was shocked! Oh well, their loss!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:11 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,723 times
Blue book can be found on the internet. Also Car Max will not change their prices, but their cars are a pretty good value. IMO

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Blue book can be found on the internet. Also Car Max will not change their prices, but their cars are a pretty good value. IMO

When I google blue book cars all I'm seeing is Kelly blue book (KBB)... what am I doing wrong? Lol can't seem to find it.

We haven't checked out car max because the nearest one is 2 hours away but I've seen sooo many people here on city-data rave about their customer service/no haggle BS, that we may have to take a drive out here!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
It's a process. In the past 4 years, I've bought 6 used cars (reallly long story). Anyway, you just have to be patient and keep trying.

In addition to KBB, I also check out the NADA guide and once I find a car I'm interested in, I search craigslist & other sites like autotrader.com to figure out a price range---keeping in mind that autotrade and craigslist are only giving you the asking price, not the sold price so I knock off 10% or 20% right off the top.

Keep in mind that you have to negotiate the out the door price with dealers as they will agree to $6,000 and then tack on another $1000 or more (yes, I have seen that) in fees. It is ridiculous.

I have contacted dealerships before I even set foot on their lot and just if the car is available and what other fees they plan to add. They usually tell me. I then at least have an idea of what I'm walking into.

Also, you can negotiate for things other than price like new tires, one dealership gave me from oil changes, car washes, and a free rental if the car is in the shop for the whole time I owned that particular car.

Another tip: try really hard to not got stuck on one car. Keep an open mind. On any given day, I might look at 2 or 3 different cars.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Carmax; but that's a whole other thread. Seriously. There's a whole other thread about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive