Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Aluminum versus Steel
Aluminum is better. 20 39.22%
Steel is better. 11 21.57%
Don't know if either is better. 11 21.57%
Don't care. 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,133,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I agree with you entirely. Ford has made an investment in the aluminum process of over $1 Billion so far. They have done extensive research and understand the lifecycle and durability of the aluminum versus the steel in all types of environment. They already have plans in place to recover much of that $1B investment through more lucrative salvage and reclamation contracts with Alcoa and other suppliers.

The typo is amusing though. Picture Ford testing the aluminum in the men's room...
Yes dam spell check laboratory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,217,300 times
Default Aircraft Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Planes are aluminum, as are many yachts! Both of those vehicles go through a hell of a lot more stress then any wheeled vehicle will. Aluminum will hold up just fine.

Aluminum panels have been utilized on vehicles, both foreign and domestic, for quite a while now. The F150 isn't the only one.

Some are saying parts need to be replaced? Well, my dad backed into the door of my truck (Ram, so not aluminum). The estimate at several different shops was close to the same whether they would pull/fill the dent or whether I opted for a new door skin. So what difference would it have been if it was aluminum and I needed a new skin? Body shops replace panels all the time. Have done so for years. If you have a totally crumpled up fender on your older steel F150, do you really think they are going to try and pull it and fill it? You'd get a new fender!
Night and day. Ever handle aircraft quality aluminum? Be nice if cars were built to the same standards. Hint. They are not. Remember "crash resistance of a Japanese lantern" ?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Night and day. Ever handle aircraft quality aluminum? Be nice if cars were built to the same standards. Hint. They are not. Remember "crash resistance of a Japanese lantern" ?
I'm guessing aircraft aluminum is a lot lighter and thinner than Ford truck aluminum? I can't imagine there is an concern about collision repairs with a plane.

Don't know if aluminum is better, do know it does not rust away like steel.

I guess if you're attacked by a bear it's better to be in a steel truck.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm guessing aircraft aluminum is a lot lighter and thinner than Ford truck aluminum? I can't imagine there is an concern about collision repairs with a plane.

Remember that silly commercial when in a few years Chevy and GMC trucks are also made of aluminum.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Remember that silly commercial when in a few years Chevy and GMC trucks are also made of aluminum.
well they are going to start real soon

Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Correct GM is putting in allot of money at tgeir truck plant to build a aluminum pickup truck.

Surprise! GM putting aluminum in next-gen pickups
Makes sense and GM can take advantage of lessons learned at Ford. There are a ton of advantages with steel: Toughness, Ease and cost of repair, Paint adhesion, etc. When you factor weight in there Al goes way up in the advantage column.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,120,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Just an FYI, bear cages are typically made out of aluminum.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/chevys...***-1716357378

Old 09-25-2015, 01:54 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,937,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Very hard to do any bodywork. That it will be lighter that will be for sure. And more expensive. But buddy owns body shop and worked on 3 Teslas, that are a lot of aluminum. He says it's parts replacement only, you can not do any usual bodywork on that metal.
I don't mean to offend anyone but working on aluminum is not that much more difficult than steel for shops experienced and trained enough to do it. Sounds like to me your buddy is not well-versed in aluminum repair.

Most heavy duty truck cabs these days are made primarily of aluminum (Freightliner, etc) and these trucks are repaired all the time. I deal with it every day - no issue there. Aluminum is great as it saves weight, can be made to be just as strong as steel, and it won't corrode in the salt.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Makes sense and GM can take advantage of lessons learned at Ford. There are a ton of advantages with steel: Toughness, Ease and cost of repair, Paint adhesion, etc. When you factor weight in there Al goes way up in the advantage column.
GM was to make it first but passed it to Ford.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
GM was to make it first but passed it to Ford.
GM has never been rewarded for being first to market: Corvair, Aztek, Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive