Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:08 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Also the drivers that get mad at me for using every inch of available road before merging like I'm supposed to instead of leaving a mile of empty road underutilized.
Agreed. Don't get mad at someone for utilizing the empty lane ahead. Don't be a sheep and follow everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Also the drivers that get mad at me for using every inch of available road before merging like I'm supposed to instead of leaving a mile of empty road underutilized.
I know you already know the answer to that, but just as a reminder.

We fall into line well before the merge in order for ALL of us to get through the merge as quickly as possible.

Sure, all of us think about driving down the empty lane, or running on the shoulder for a distance and then darting into the line. It works. Someone will always flinch, or feel sorry for you "being stuck in the wrong lane," and leave space to let you in.

But what that does is cause the entire line to brake, creating even more time for ALL of us to get through the congested area.

You're not so clever as you think. Just not thinking about everyone. The more people who force their way in, the slower it is for everyone.

What cracks me up about people who drive poorly like that is down the road a couple of miles, they are struggling to keep up with the higher speed flow of traffic (usually because they are darting in and out of lanes to "try and get ahead") and they get left behind by those of us who are faster paced rivers. All that havoc which they create(d) was for naught....

So why do it?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

We fall into line well before the merge in order for ALL of us to get through the merge as quickly as possible.

Sure, all of us think about driving down the empty lane, or running on the shoulder for a distance and then darting into the line. It works. Someone will always flinch, or feel sorry for you "being stuck in the wrong lane," and leave space to let you in.

But what that does is cause the entire line to brake, creating even more time for ALL of us to get through the congested area.

You're not so clever as you think. Just not thinking about everyone. The more people who force their way in, the slower it is for everyone.

What cracks me up about people who drive poorly like that is down the road a couple of miles, they are struggling to keep up with the higher speed flow of traffic (usually because they are darting in and out of lanes to "try and get ahead") and they get left behind by those of us who are faster paced rivers. All that havoc which they create(d) was for naught....

So why do it?
It wouldn't be as congested if drivers would just use BOTH lanes until the merge area

Old 10-19-2015, 03:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:

So why do it?
You're wrong. Studies have shown that using both lanes to the merge point not only shortens the backup, but is safer. Many DOT's promote this, but people still will line up and leave lanes underutilized. If you do, that's your choice.

I find in areas such as DC where traffic is often heavy, people pretty much use both lanes and then zipper merge.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:12 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Yes zipper merge for the win! I have two cars, and I notice that people get more annoyed when I do this with a loud, 2015 V8 muscle car. I still get glares when I take the 2006 scratched and dented compact snow beater out for a spin but not as much.

One day someone tried to swerve out to my lane to block me, but I didn't slow down and revved my engine. The other driver panicked and drove straight off the road.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Try living in a touristy area when the majority of people are on vacation!
Tell me about it. Commuting between New Hampshire and Massachusetts for work, I encounter many oblivious people from Connecticut in a given week who think nothing of driving through eastern Massachusetts during rush hour and hog the entire left lane on their way to Maine.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You're wrong. Studies have shown that using both lanes to the merge point not only shortens the backup, but is safer. Many DOT's promote this, but people still will line up and leave lanes underutilized. If you do, that's your choice.

I find in areas such as DC where traffic is often heavy, people pretty much use both lanes and then zipper merge.
No doubt, if we ALL merge back when we are still doing 50 or 60, and it flows together, everyone wins. That is how we get to the single lane which will move quite well until.....

.... there is some dork who races up the open lane, and the squeezes himself between the cone and the car which is doing what he is supposed to do. It's the folks that feel "they are better/smarter than everyone else" or "we are all idiots" for trying to make the best of a bad situation which ruin it for everyone else.

Regardless, the majority of "swervers/weavers" get left behind to their games as soon as the traffic opens up.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Imagine if everyone at the supermarket with a single exit used only a single register despite that another register is open right next to it because it would be "unfair" to the people in the line for register 1. The line would stretch around the store.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
No doubt, if we ALL merge back when we are still doing 50 or 60, and it flows together, everyone wins. That is how we get to the single lane which will move quite well until.....

.... there is some dork who races up the open lane, and the squeezes himself between the cone and the car which is doing what he is supposed to do. It's the folks that feel "they are better/smarter than everyone else" or "we are all idiots" for trying to make the best of a bad situation which ruin it for everyone else.

Regardless, the majority of "swervers/weavers" get left behind to their games as soon as the traffic opens up.
Speaking of merging, one situation that drives me crazy up here: Two lanes merging after a traffic light. Why does it drive me crazy? Because idiots up here will form a single file line at the light long enough to block all access to the extra lane. If people would use the intersection as the designers intended, everyone waiting could get through on one green light cycle. But because they can't fathom how they could possibly merge after the intersection, the line-up ends up being way longer than there is any need of, and people end up waiting through multiple red lights to get through the same intersection.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Yes zipper merge for the win! I have two cars, and I notice that people get more annoyed when I do this with a loud, 2015 V8 muscle car. I still get glares when I take the 2006 scratched and dented compact snow beater out for a spin but not as much.

One day someone tried to swerve out to my lane to block me, but I didn't slow down and revved my engine. The other driver panicked and drove straight off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive