Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:29 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Yes, I will have good winter tires on whatever vehicle I purchase. I know how important that is. I was going to look at all the BMW X models.

I'll try to identify which AWD vehicles have the split-seat cargo space/trunk-to-front panel 78" or above, while still fitting a total of 3 (preferably 4) people.

I'll also compare BMW X type, Jaguar F-pace, Porsche Cayenne

I am removing Mercedes GL from the list after looking at it today.

Also still considering Acura, Subaru, Audi, Volvo...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-23-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Sorry...?
You're right...I missed a line of text that I was supposed to have typed on my phone...Should have read "since the X5 M is not produced in as limited numbers anymore." Thanks for catching that. LOL I do hate the X6, however, even in M form.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, I will have good winter tires on whatever vehicle I purchase. I know how important that is. I was going to look at all the BMW X models.

I'll try to identify which AWD vehicles have the split-seat cargo space/trunk-to-front panel 78" or above, while still fitting a total of 3 (preferably 4) people.

I can tell you that the Cayenne is a midsize SUV. Mine is a 2006, and it has less than 6 ft from the rear hatch to the back of the front seats. So the Macan would be even smaller, as would the BMW X3. An X5 might have more room.

The Acura MDX can fit a standard 6'8" interior door inside with the rear seats folded flat. It has 3rd row seating, so the cargo area is much bigger than most of the other choices you have mentioned, while not being the size of a full size SUV. So it would be able to haul your instruments while still being able to seat 3-4 people.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:26 AM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
Subaru Outback.
And then you can spend the remainder of your budget on an STI and several years of free gas for both cars.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Ford Flex ... lots and lots of room, you can get a panoramic sunroof for that almost convertible feel (Subaru Forester has a huge sunroof also).

The EcoBoost top of the line version has lots of amenities, all-wheel-drive, and 365 horsepower. And it is quick with the turbo charged motor.
Its all wheel drive system does not compare to the Subaru, Jeep, Porsche, but with the proper tires it will get you through most anything (that is not true off roading).

I would not buy a first-year Jaguar just because of the horrible reliability the history that Jags have ... never buy one, only lease.

If I were buying a Porsche I would look at a one or two year old with 20,000 miles ... you can get it at a 30% to 50% discount as they do not hold their value that well.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:

Go look at the Lexus GX. It has everything you are looking for. Trust me

Old 11-24-2015, 10:57 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The X5 should be okay for the instrument as the rear seat is a 60/40 split, and could carry four with one in the middle rear, folding down the other portion of the seat for the instrument. You would have just shy of 6' of room to the front seat from the cargo door with part of the rear seat folded. I would bring your case with you when shopping, since it's not odd at all; rather, it's how easy is it to load and configure, not just a question as to whether or not the vehicle can haul it. A larger SUV can haul with ease and relative comfort, but a wagon would be difficult, especially with more than two passengers. Some of the mid-size could handle it, but the X3, Cayenne, Q5 are too small for the specific cargo need and passenger space, should you need them at the same time. If you don't have passengers and the instrument, they could work, but it may not be as easy.

I know your pain, since I have a very good friend who is a drummer, and have had to help schlep his gear when shopping for a new car. We actually brought all of his equipment before he signed for a new vehicle, unpacking my SUV into the car he was buying to be sure not only that it fit, but that it was not an inordinate amount of work to load the vehicle. Measurements tell part of the story, but not the ease of use.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Some of the mid-size could handle it, but the X3, Cayenne, Q5 are too small for the specific cargo need and passenger space, should you need them at the same time. If you don't have passengers and the instrument, they could work, but it may not be as easy.
The Cayenne is basically the same size as the X5, they are both midsize SUVs. The X3 and Q5 are considered compact SUVs.

I don't really remember just how big the cargo area was, but my buddy takes his whenever he goes skiing and can fit 4 skis in it. The rear seat arm rest folds down and you can open a panel to the cargo area and long things can slide through. I bet it would easily fit a double bass if it will fit 4 skis, while still seating 4 passengers.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
As a Subaru Legacy Wagon owner, I look forward to winter weather. Nothing like symmetric AWD, if you need AWD don't buy brands that uses only part-time AWD. If it doesn't advertise full-time, you will get lots of wheel spin before the system kicks in.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
I really have only these requirements -

1) Good handling/safety in the snow/sleet which is why I want AWD. I will be regularly driving to/from ski areas in the midwest/Colorado.

2) Roof/bike rack ability to hold 2 kayaks (15 foot), or 4 skis, or 4 bikes.

3) Split seating/cargo space that allows the occasional transport of 3-4 people along with a large instrument (my double bass to be exact).

Btw, my budget is more or less $70k, but that does not mean I need to spend that much, (e.g. I'll spend less on a Subaru if it meets my needs). I will consider new or re-certified used.

I was going to look at the following - Subaru, Bmw, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, Audi. I'm not in a particular hurry so can wait for new models. Also, I am not into paying a premium for namesake, but will pay more if it gives me a better quality vehicle, or a long-term lower cost-to-own.

I do not put a high premium on "luxury" interiors/amenities/driving experience, though cutting edge media/technology/connectivity would be great. I would also like something that is reasonable on fuel consumption/the environment.

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.
I like the durability of Toyota and thought it isn't on your list, go check out the 4Runner or the Land Cruiser.
The 4Runner is hardy and in the 40-50K range so you save some money for a new Kayak!
The Land Cruiser is larger and about 75K so a bit over your budget but it hauls a lot.

The Land Rover Discovery is a nice one as well it is about 40K but not sure about the reliability. The Toyots tend to be bulletproof.

The Subarus are great cars and i like the Forester but it may be a bit too small for your requirements. But, check it out to see as it is the least expensive and has great reliability, handling and comfort.

Oh and the Acuras are pretty reliable and comfortable as well. The MDX is about 50 K and is the larger SUV.

And take a look at the Honda Pilot, it has been redesigned and a real bargain for about 45K. Gets good gas mileage and a smooth ride.

Well good luck on your search and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive