Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM

26 posts, read 39,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Face it, you don't like pickups so every one nearby that has an aggressive driver is noticed. Even if the driver isn't being aggressive and swerves to avoid hitting the car that suddenly stopped in front of him, because he is driving a pickup that swerving adds to the "proof" that pickups are driven by aggressive a-holes. Likewise a pickup approaching in the fast lane (may only be doing 55/60 in a 55) which suddenly slows down because the car in front of him is only doing 40 or so, the driver of the pickup will be seen as aggressive by someone who doesn't like trucks. Quite simple really. When you don't like something you notice it.

The opposite can be the same as well. Start researching a particular vehicle and take interest in it and it is amazing how many you start to see!
Wait what? Did you read the entire post? I said stock pickups are usually okay. It's the modified ones that I'm wary of. I don't hate pickups when they're driven by sane people. It's pretty obvious if someone swerves to avoid an accident. I'm referring to those that swerve in an out of lanes. I don't think they're avoiding that many accidents, or they must either be incredibly unlucky or causing those near misses themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
You're describing a douchebag driver. The vehicle they drive doesn't matter. could be a truck or a tricycle. The big jacked up truck drivers think that the tailgating you will intimidate you into getting out of their way. If I can safely do it I usually move over and let them go on their way. If I can't I just maintain my speed. Let them figure it out.

When I was young I did the stupid brake check scream yell. I finally stopped joining the other morons on the road

Old 01-04-2016, 11:10 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
Wait what? Did you read the entire post? I said stock pickups are usually okay. It's the modified ones that I'm wary of. I don't hate pickups when they're driven by sane people. It's pretty obvious if someone swerves to avoid an accident. I'm referring to those that swerve in an out of lanes. I don't think they're avoiding that many accidents, or they must either be incredibly unlucky or causing those near misses themselves.
I read it clearly. And what your saying basically follows what I said. So you hate modified trucks. Alright! So you notice every modified truck being driven by an a-hole doing something stupid. Therefore you start a thread on what is up with some pickup truck drivers (some = modified I guess).

Personally, I have witnessed bad driving from drivers of every type of vehicle out there, and likewise, I have witnessed good driving as well from drivers of every type out there. It's not the vehicle! It's the driver!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're describing a douchebag driver. The vehicle they drive doesn't matter. could be a truck or a tricycle. The big jacked up truck drivers think that the tailgating you will intimidate you into getting out of their way. If I can safely do it I usually move over and let them go on their way. If I can't I just maintain my speed. Let them figure it out.

When I was young I did the stupid brake check scream yell. I finally stopped joining the other morons on the road

I find that in our area most of the tailgating is done by cars and SVUs baring out of state tags. Most of our East/West roads are 2 lane (ONE lane in each direction) and there is no way to get over and let them pass.
I can not imagine doing the old brake check thing anymore. If the driver of car following is texting or on the phone it could be fatal.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
I'm amazed that "lift kits" are still even legal! A truck already has a much higher center of gravity than other vehicles, so the chance of a rollover is exponentially greater than a car even in stock form. When you raise it even higher, you're only exacerbating the problem and making the truck harder to control and less stable.

To make matters even worse, trucks are not required to meet the same roof strength standards as cars and SUVs. So in a rollover, the cab in most pickups will flatten as easy as an aluminum can (and kill anyone inside). So it's crazy that the law even allows and perhaps even crazier than the people who drive these trucks would want to do it!

Young males account for at least 95% of these lifted trucks. The combination of testosterone and internal combustion is a recipe for disaster! I remember how much hell I raised in a '91 Honda Civic with a whopping 92 horsepower! I regularly topped 100mph and more than once 'evaded' the police (if I had enough time to get onto a side road, I'd lose them in the curves). Now that I'm 41, I look back and wonder how I ever survived and wonder what the hell was I thinking???

And now I have a Mazda SUV with almost 300hp and Volvo S60 with 325hp and I rarely drive more than 10-12mph over the speed limit. But it's always fun when an idiot (douchebag) tries to do something stupid like pass me on the right when I'm already bumper-to-bumper with the car in front of me or they attempt to cut me off in traffic. When traffic opens up in front of me (and they're still trying to force their way around/into me), all it takes is putting my right foot to the floor and a few seconds later, they're 10 car lengths back in my rearview mirror!

But one thing I don't do is block the left lane. If someone runs up behind me, even if they're a total douchebag, I will move over to the right as soon as I reasonably can and let them go by. The way I look at it, if there are any cops waiting ahead, they'll get to them first! =)

Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
I've been lurking on these forums for a long time, but decided to say something about this. I used to defend pickup drivers when people would criticize them for their vehicle choice and talk about their ego or their size below the waist. While I noticed they sometimes would drive like jerks, I never thought anything of it. Nowadays I'm starting to get fed up with this pattern now that I'm frequently the target.

It's common to see them weaving (sometimes swerving) in and out of lanes without ever signaling. It's funny to see them swerving because it looks like the truck's body is going to be thrown off the frame. I don't see how they enjoy that. I noticed that most of the worst tailgaters I've seen have been in pickups. They don't necessarily make up the majority of them, but when they do, they get extremely close and fill up your rear view mirror with their grill. When smaller cars do it, it's still annoying, but not so scary. I'd expect someone in a pickup to be able to see the vehicles in front of me and realize they're not helping anything. They seem to always have to be in front. They frequently floor it past everyone and cut over at the last minute or speed up when you try to pass them. They often have trouble staying within lane lines or parking lines. If you can't drive or park it, you should have bought something smaller. Most of my worst cut offs have been perpetrated by drivers of pickups. They squeeze their way in front of me with just a few inches to spare, usually either without signaling or during the first one or two blinks. Even if we would be trading paint without me hitting the brakes, they HAVE to be in that lane and force their way in anyway. This particular offense is pretty much exclusive to pickups, at least for me. A couple of them have even had the nerve to honk back at me.

This is especially prevalent with modified pickups, usually lifted. Stock ones driven by the older crowd and compact 4-cylinders are usually fine. I've driven a rental pickup and I get it, you sit so much higher than everyone else and the engine is loud and powerful. I felt like I could dominate everyone else, but I never bullied others and was obviously afraid of crashing the thing. I didn't like how big it was, however, so I swapped it for a sedan. What I don't get is why so many drive them like sports cars when they are so big and cumbersome. Speaking only of those who drive like this, do you think a certain kind of person buys a pickup to bully other drivers, or does driving a pickup cause some people to abuse its size and start behaving like this? I do know the latter is the case with BMWs as I happen drive one. They're at least fun to drive.
This is a take your pick of vehicle argument, today it's pickup trucks tomorrow it's Corvettes the next day Mustangs. etc.etc.

I won't join in on this .

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Actually, a while back there was a study that said that drivers of blue BMWs were the real problem:
Road Rage: Beware the angry man in the blue BMW! - NBC News

Haven't noticed that kind of thing with pickup truck drivers.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
It is the driver, not the vehicle.

When and where I was growing up, most pickup drivers were middle aged men born in Italy or in the Bronx to Italian parents. Most worked in the trades. They drove really slow so that was my 'pickup stereotype' for many years.

Now a lifted Diesel RAM truck in Albuquerque is a whole other thing.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Lol let me clarify, BMWs are fun to drive and want to go fast, causing some people to drive like douches rather than the other way around.

From what I've seen, newer pickups can actually pick up speed at a decent pace. I've seen many of the drivers floor it and get off the line fairly quickly. Econoboxes don't appear to be much faster. I can see what you're saying with older pickups vs. newer econoboxes though. I do agree that econoboxes, especially Hondas and Nissans, are often just as bad, but the forcing their way into my lane thing is almost exclusive to pickups.

I disagree with this. I have issues with small cars racing past and darting over in front of me and hitting their brakes because the car in front of me is stopping (usually the reason I am slowing down) which forces me to slam on my brakes. My truck is HEAVY....... and it doesn't stop on a dime. I had a Dodge Dart do this to me on the way home from work yesterday. It's not dangerous for me, it's dangerous for the idiot doing it to me.

As for trucks forcing their way into the lane I've noticed something that is slightly annoying. Many smaller cars will rush to fill in a gap when I am riding in a lane with my blinker on trying to get over. Eventually if I am about to miss my turn because some jack-wagon refuses to let the big truck over, I'm coming over regardless. You can choose to slow down, speed up, or sit there. I don't care at that point. Making me miss a turn simply because you have an issue with big trucks isn't going to happen.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I'm amazed that "lift kits" are still even legal! A truck already has a much higher center of gravity than other vehicles, so the chance of a rollover is exponentially greater than a car even in stock form. When you raise it even higher, you're only exacerbating the problem and making the truck harder to control and less stable.

To make matters even worse, trucks are not required to meet the same roof strength standards as cars and SUVs. So in a rollover, the cab in most pickups will flatten as easy as an aluminum can (and kill anyone inside). So it's crazy that the law even allows and perhaps even crazier than the people who drive these trucks would want to do it!

Young males account for at least 95% of these lifted trucks. The combination of testosterone and internal combustion is a recipe for disaster! I remember how much hell I raised in a '91 Honda Civic with a whopping 92 horsepower! I regularly topped 100mph and more than once 'evaded' the police (if I had enough time to get onto a side road, I'd lose them in the curves). Now that I'm 41, I look back and wonder how I ever survived and wonder what the hell was I thinking???

And now I have a Mazda SUV with almost 300hp and Volvo S60 with 325hp and I rarely drive more than 10-12mph over the speed limit. But it's always fun when an idiot (douchebag) tries to do something stupid like pass me on the right when I'm already bumper-to-bumper with the car in front of me or they attempt to cut me off in traffic. When traffic opens up in front of me (and they're still trying to force their way around/into me), all it takes is putting my right foot to the floor and a few seconds later, they're 10 car lengths back in my rearview mirror!

But one thing I don't do is block the left lane. If someone runs up behind me, even if they're a total douchebag, I will move over to the right as soon as I reasonably can and let them go by. The way I look at it, if there are any cops waiting ahead, they'll get to them first! =)

I'm getting the feeling that you're one of the passive aggressive drivers that I mentioned in my last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive