Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 PM

300 posts, read 239,169 times

Advertisements

This is about the only forum that I feel can help me with my question:

I am a recent widow that lives alone. I live in a big city, with lots of people, and have an alarm in my house. Since I do not want a gun or a knife to protect me, I feel that a good flashlight, the one that blinds people, if I were to be surprised by an intruder, would be my best friend.

And here is why: Recently, I was stopped by the police for doing 40 miles in a 35 mile zone. The policeman, came to the vehicle window to ask for my registration and license. He had a flashlight that totally blinded me, to the point that I had to tell him, nicely, that I was unable to see. That is why I want a good flashlight, in the even an intruder surprises me, I can use my flashlight.

Here are three I have chosen:

(1) Lumitact Tactical G700 flashlight, which has 700 lumens, uses three AAA batteries. It is lightweight which is a requisite.

LumiTact / G700 Tactical Grade Flashlight Ad - 11/6/2015 - Tools & Equipment Ad in Columbus

(2) Simon Cree DU2 Tactical flashlight, 700 lumens, and very lightweight.

DU2

(3) Cree R5 Led Tactical flashlight with 5 mode, battery/charger pkg., and upgrade to SMO reflector. very lightweight.

https://shop.monsterflashlight.com/p...hlight-5-mode/

I will let you be the judge......thank you so very much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:08 PM

19,084 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Maglite 6-D Cell Flashlight | Nalpak

Totally against what you wish. But has one very important advantage. Can be used as mace. Or baton. That you were blinded with tiny police light does not mean baddie will be. But that flashlight can crush skull.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
The Auto Forum? OK, I'll bite. Don't spent a lot of money. I have pocket flastlights (convenience store), standard size handheld and giant Mag-Lites. I also have a rechargeable lantern, a Coleman lantern and pillar emergency candles. You can never have enough light.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
This produces a light of 1,200 lumens, and comes with two Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, plus an extra one (or you can use 3 AAA batteries if you like). It also comes with a key/chain mini flashlight.
http://www.amazon.com/SOLARAY-ZX-1-P...A4YZ7EVJ16BSEH

Free shipping.
--------
If you don't want a gun, you can have a taser, or you can aways strap the flashlight on a baseball bat's barrel.

~just kidding with you

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-08-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,508,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
This is about the only forum that I feel can help me with my question:

I am a recent widow that lives alone. I live in a big city, with lots of people, and have an alarm in my house. Since I do not want a gun or a knife to protect me, I feel that a good flashlight, the one that blinds people, if I were to be surprised by an intruder, would be my best friend.
Well, the problem with that is that you hope that the intruder doesn't react proactively and shoot in the direction of that flashlight and whoever is holding it.

You best just hide in a closet and dial 911 as quietly as possible.

You ain't wrestling any man and winning that fight, especially if you are the age of most widows. Life isn't a scripted movie, so leave Lara Croft Tomb Raider or Sidney Bristow from Alias out of this.

I'm looking at this from the POV of...if someone walks into my house and I see a flashlight and an unfamiliar face, my Glock is already out and questions get asked later.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,277,616 times
The flashlight idea is predicated on the idea that the intruder is standing right next to you like the policeman was. Not something you really want to happen as he could swat it out of your hand. Not a bad idea to have one but not going to be effective as a deterrent.

Get one of these - mace or pepper spray, or better yet a can of wasp spray which will enable you to hit their eyes at 20 ft away and blind them while you get away.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
Some tactical flashlights have a rapid flashing feature. Set the head to wide beam. I've used this to protect our 14 year old Chihuahua from dogs at night. When upscaling with a gun, pepper spray, or wasp spray it'll temporarily blind and disorient the intruder giving you time to hit him with gun or spray. Recommend you visit your local gun range for classes/practice until you find the right gun for you. Then take safety classes and get the gun that fits your needs. Continue classes and practicing at the gun range. Become familiar with the gun until you can grab it in the dark and know how to hold it and take off the safety.

If you're dead set against a gun, there are some self defense flashlights that are also batons or taser. Don't recommend either. A baton can easily be taken from you and used against you and the taser has to be held against the body of the attacker while pressing a button. They're more effective for the attacker than the victim.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,218,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
... I do not want a gun or a knife to protect me.....

I will let you be the judge......
Why do you not want to protect yourself with a firearm?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,947,868 times
Wasp spray? Bad idea. The cans plainly state, "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

I've had to testify in four civil trials where the victims used wasp spray to deter an attacker. Although the attackers were convicted in criminal court, they turned around and sued the victims and all four victims lost, resulting in large cash payouts.

Stick with pepper spray or whatever is legal in your jurisdiction.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
In all honesty I would suggest getting something besides a flashlight, they make flashlights with tasers on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you don't want a gun, you can have a taser, or you can aways strap the flashlight on a baseball bat's barrel.
There is a reason a cop holds a maglite on his shoulder. Bam! That actually makes a fantastic hand held weapon and it's dual purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive