Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,610,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I recall an article from 1979ish in Playboy (yes I did read the articles, thank you) where Brock Yates flat out said that by 2000 there would be no more V8 engines. 35 years on and V8's are bigger and better than ever. Somehow I doubt that there will that much difference in the next 35 years, although the safety nazi's in the .gov world would love it.
I wouldn't bet on that. Some of these people may have been a little off on their timeline predictions, but I'll bet you in 35 years most if not all new cars sold will be fully electric powered. A good portion of them already are, or at least hybrid. It's a long, slow process and the auto industry as a whole is notoriously sloth-y in changing it's ways. The true visionaries like Musk are far and few between. It's for the most part a nostalgic legacy industry run by old white guys who aren't in a hurry to upset the apple cart. But that will be changing soon. It already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:11 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,188,436 times
The technology may be available for those who want it but not everybody will.

Heck, I recall the end of oil by the year 2000, it was going to be over, finito, and that was the oil companies telling us that.

I also know folks who are driving 20+ year old DD's, and all of those cars that are built better than they ever were aren't going to go away by then.

O had honestly thought that the world would be a much different place than when I was growing up, and technology has been miraculous but in the grand scheme of things I don't see it as that much different.

And until the battery storage can approach the energy density of gasoline it just isn't going to happen. When you can charge a battery for 500 miles of driving in under 5 minutes, let me know. Then I might believe it.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,750,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. Some of these people may have been a little off on their timeline predictions, but I'll bet you in 35 years most if not all new cars sold will be fully electric powered. A good portion of them already are, or at least hybrid. It's a long, slow process and the auto industry as a whole is notoriously sloth-y in changing it's ways. The true visionaries like Musk are far and few between. It's for the most part a nostalgic legacy industry run by old white guys who aren't in a hurry to upset the apple cart. But that will be changing soon. It already is.
Electric vehicles may be fine for people in urban areas, but they are not practical everywhere else where people have longer commutes.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:12 PM

639 posts, read 581,639 times
Quote:
By a "good portion"you mean less then 1%?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,610,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
By a "good portion"you mean less then 1%?
Well they went from practically 0% in 1999 when the Honda Insight came out to over 3% the past few years so, draw your own conclusions on the trends? I don't have a dog in this fight.

Not a perfect analogy but look at the smartphone market. 10 years ago? Hardly anybody. Only the fringe weirdos. Everybody still had dumb flip phones. Very low user rate. Then you reach a critical mass and it seems like practically everybody has one a few years later. Now that's computer technology which moves much faster than the auto industry, but the concept is the same.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,750,095 times
Quote:
Well they went from practically 0% in 1999 when the Honda Insight came out to over 3% the past few years so, draw your own conclusions on the trends? I don't have a dog in this fight.

Not a perfect analogy but look at the smartphone market. 10 years ago? Hardly anybody. Only the fringe weirdos. Everybody still had dumb flip phones. Very low user rate. Then you reach a critical mass and it seems like practically everybody has one a few years later. Now that's computer technology which moves much faster than the auto industry, but the concept is the same.
Hybrids make sense for someone who does a lot of stop and go driving, but there's not much benefit to them for someone who drives majority highway. You really have to do the math to see if it's worth it, for me it wouldn't be. They are still niche vehicles.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
Quote:

I would. Electric cars are great in a concentrated highly populated area. But electric cars aren't that popular. Once the recharging of the battery system is fast and the drive time/distance is increased enough to go in long trips some people will switch. Right now the electric car industry is heavily subsidized otherwise it would fall on its face. Maybe if they have a replaceable battery pack system. Pull in change pack pay the recharge fee drive out. But it would require a standardized battery pack with same across the board size and connection AND quality. So your nice new battery pack isn't traded for another substandard pack.
It isn't that car companies don't want change. Has nothing to do with vision. They just want to wring EVERY penny out of the current tech until it's dead, THEN switch to another tech. They invested millions of dollars on the gas engine. And it's come a long way fro what it was. You expect them to abandon it because electric cars are out and "everyone" wants them.
Until that electric car can do EVERYTHING my diesel does I dint need one. For my wife a electric car would be great. She does short distance in city driving. Would I buy one? Sure if it made sense. But if you have a car that's the equivalent if a laptop in technology no thanks

Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 PM

384 posts, read 736,895 times
2050 no more tires

Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,952,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I feel lied to. This future prediction sucks. I was supposed to have a flying car by 2000 and a damn robot or two around the house to clean and medicine to make me immortal and live in a house above the clouds. And we were supposed to colonize the moon and Mars. And a absolutely clean world and transporters that beam you to where you wanna go. And no more gas everything is electric or beam me up Scotty. And food machines in your house that make you whatever you want. You just say it and sap it's made.
We haven't done ANY of those things. Wha Wah. Stomp stomp. All I got is good health, a 320 Hp v8 SUV and a good job and good pay, money in the bank, and good friends and a good life. The future SUCKS. I wanna go back to 1982.

Lol by 2050 we will still have gasoline electric hybrid engines. Or just gasoline. They will get double or triple today's mpg.
I believe Randy Travis had a hit song with those feelings.
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0HC3tihRiE

Last edited by pvande55; 01-10-2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,425,992 times
By 2050 I will be 116, I am sure enough not going to sweat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive