Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,570,852 times

Advertisements

I rented an apartment to a young Chinese man once - a software engineer - in Silicon Valley. He told me in China, if a driver runs over someone, they will actually back up to make sure the person dies. The reason, he said, is because it's cheaper to deal with killing a pedestrian, than dealing with paying for their medical expenses.

I found this article on it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_china_s.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 11:18 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,044,267 times
Is it Jay walking if the coast is clear, or only if you are an obstacle?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

If I am to come to a stop I will honk and rev the engine but not signal them to pass to see if they stop or go back to the sidewalk or have the audacity to continue.

Furthermore, I will actively honk and rev my engine to let jaywalkers know they are not welcome, which usually leads them to stand in the road to the left or right of me and give me a finger. if I see a jaywalker starting to enter my side of the road I will honk and rev my engine as well, which gets the law breakers angry.

Really??

Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 AM

186 posts, read 158,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Jaywalking is crime invented by car people. It is "blame the victim" nonsense. Like floggings in ye olde towne square, it will go away when our society becomes as educated and civil as a first-world country.
Not sure what you mean, but it sounds pretty stupid.

What so hard about understand a traffic sign? Or lights?

If the light is red, you wait, if the light is green you walk.
Pretty simple, no?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,776,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Really??
I thought the same thing...

Old 01-15-2016, 07:57 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Be careful of jaywalkers - I wonder if this type of thing ever happens in the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqm2rY6dy1w
I would hope that we Americans aren't that stupid.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
Not sure what you mean, but it sounds pretty stupid.

What so hard about understand a traffic sign? Or lights?

If the light is red, you wait, if the light is green you walk.
Pretty simple, no?
Obviously the normal course of action but what if there is no light or crosswalk or its a mile away.
Safest time to cross a street IMO is when theres no cars in sight.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I jaywalk several times a day in my 1 mile walk between the office and bus. I have never been affected by any cars, because I only do it when there are none coming. I am not about to wait for a light to change when there are no cars or trucks coming in either direction, as is most of the time at 5:45am. In the afternoon I do usually wait for the light. As a driver, it doesn't matter to me whether someone is jaywalking or not, if they are in the road I'll slow down. I will not, however, stop to wave and let them cross unless they are in a crosswalk.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
I agree and feel your pain, Mighty Pelican . . .

Over the years I have witnessed some blatant arrogance with Jaywalkers . . . one was actually "snubbing her nose" at a Fire Truck and almost Got It if not for the expert driving ability of the Fireman at the wheel.

One of the worst offenders are those who jaywalk while with young kids. What kind of message are these Ignorant Goons sending to the next generation?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,241,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Just like the war on terror, there is no "neutral" position. Your driving behavior either enables jaywalking, or deters jaywalking. I for one deter jaywalking.

In no way am I advocating breaking the law or vehicular manslaughter, but I will not stop and signal jaywalkers to go ahead (extremely dangerous, just today I was on a road with 2 lanes going both ways and the driver furthermost to the right stopped and signaled with his hand to let a jaywalker pass but someone coming up on the left of him at the speed limit of 35 mph didn't see him and nearly hit the jaywalker). If I am to come to a stop I will honk and rev the engine but not signal them to pass to see if they stop or go back to the sidewalk or have the audacity to continue.

Furthermore, I will actively honk and rev my engine to let jaywalkers know they are not welcome, which usually leads them to stand in the road to the left or right of me and give me a finger. On roads with multiple lanes going in both directions separating by a median, if I see a jaywalker starting to enter my side of the road I will honk and rev my engine as well, which gets the law breakers angry.

PS: I am in no way anti-pedestrian. I always stop when pedestrians have the right of way, INCLUDING those unsignalized marked crosswalks that most other drivers seem to ignore. I am also mindful of pedestrians that have the right of way when I am making a right turn or unprotected left turn.

Always remember that the laws of physics are more powerful than the laws of any state or country.
This mindset is such a contrast with the calm automotive culture of Canada. In Toronto, drivers habitually wave "jaywalkers" across the street no matter where.

I have to admit, I've played chicken with drivers like the OP more than once. It's pretty foolhardy, but if I'm confident they can see me, I'll make them back down. The thought of sending the blood pressure of OP-type guys through the roof is irresistible in some moods. Mea culpa.

Here's a good article on the real truth about "jaywalking":

The forgotten history of how automakers invented the crime of "jaywalking"

Quote:
"In the early days of the automobile, it was drivers' job to avoid you, not your job to avoid them," says Peter Norton, a historian at the University of Virginia and author of Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City. "But under the new model, streets became a place for cars — and as a pedestrian, it's your fault if you get hit."
One of the keys to this shift was the creation of the crime of jaywalking. Here's a history of how that happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive