Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
<>Why does BMW use ****crap Runflats that are stiff, noisy and bend your rims? Perhaps just so they can get rid of the traditional spare tire + rim ?
<>
For the price of a BMW I would rather have good tires and use a credit card to fix a flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, the name is Firestone. However, this doesn't prevent Ford Motor from sourcing other tire manufacturers for their vehicles.
Ford hasn't used Firestone or Bridgestone in years, since the end of the Explorer recalls. Firestone would not honor their debt from the warranty-sharing agreement so Ford told them to take a hike. Firestone has come back to Ford several times to kiss and make up, but given they still refuse to pay the debt they owe Ford has not let them bid on anything else.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You know what Henry Ford the ll wife’s maiden name is you know the owner of the Detroit lions is don’t you it’s Firestorm Ford and Firestorm have been working together since Henry Ford the founder of the Ford Motor Company. Read your history about Ford being great friends with Harvey Firestorm the founder of Firestorm tires.
Henry Ford II was married three times. His first wife's name was Anne McDonnell, the second was Maria Vettore, and the third was Kathleen King. He was not married to a Firestone OR Firestorm! Clara Ford, Henry Ford's only wife's last name was Bryant. Henry Ford was close friends with Harvey Firestone and Thomas Edison.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
OP, I'm with you on this. Interestingly, in a different thread, people actually used OEM fitment as justification that a tire was good.

I replaced the Hankook Optimos on a new car after 600 miles. Pure junk. Anyone who defends these worthless rim protectors is clueless.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Although not cheap, I have found Discount tire will give a trade in on lightly used tires so can negotiate your best price on new tires and then get about $120 off for the trade. I did this recently with tires that had 20,000 miles on them.
I've done that a few times with DT. They're my tire store for several years now.

Original Equipment are likely bid to the cheapest bidder. I'd think the makers would spend a little more time and effort and yes, money, fitting the best rubber they can per buck.

I usually replace OE rubber because it's almost inevitably crappy, even on an enthusiast type car like a Mazda6. The stock Dunlops on the 6 are crap and outright dangerous in the wet.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:16 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I have the continental extreme contact DW summer tires and like them. I can still spin them readily in 1st and 2nd, but have more trouble spinning them in 3rd now so long as it's not too cold outside. A good performance tire for the cost.
Time to upgrade to real performance tires. Your tires are very low end tires. You'll find the something like Direzza Star Specs or Bridgestone RE71Rs are huge step up and will drastically reduce your spin issues.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:24 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Ford hasn't used Firestone or Bridgestone in years, since the end of the Explorer recalls. Firestone would not honor their debt from the warranty-sharing agreement so Ford told them to take a hike. Firestone has come back to Ford several times to kiss and make up, but given they still refuse to pay the debt they owe Ford has not let them bid on anything else.
My 2017 Ford Explorer has from the factory Michelin's. I do not know nor care what model.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Henry Ford II was married three times. His first wife's name was Anne McDonnell, the second was Maria Vettore, and the third was Kathleen King. He was not married to a Firestone OR Firestorm! Clara Ford, Henry Ford's only wife's last name was Bryant. Henry Ford was close friends with Harvey Firestone and Thomas Edison.
Willman Clay Ford the ll was the youngest son of Edsel Ford and married to Martha Firestone daughter to Harvey S. Firestone Jr chairman of the Firestone tire and rubber company. Willam Clay Ford ll was a executive officer of the Ford Motor Company. Hs son is chairman of the board at Ford.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The stock Hankooks on my new car at $165
Hankook*Optimo H426

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS are cheaper at $141
Continental*ExtremeContact DWS 06

Why does this happen? Conspiracy? The car manufacturer get a deal with Hankook on some crappy tires that should be ~$80 and then they mark them up for the aftermarket hoping people just replace the tires with the same ones?

Just baffling that a tire that is much worse at everything is more expensive and chosen by the people who most want to showcase the car's performance and have it do well in magazine testing and such.
what kind of car was this on?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Time to upgrade to real performance tires. Your tires are very low end tires. You'll find the something like Direzza Star Specs or Bridgestone RE71Rs are huge step up and will drastically reduce your spin issues.
Wheres the fun in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive