Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:58 AM

49 posts, read 50,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yup it's 100% every other driver on the roads fault that the OP didn't turn their headlights on
That's not what I said at all. You're not making any sense. I guess the idea of flipping a switch a few times to possibly save a person's life is just too much to ask of you. If you see a person trip and fall injured onto a road, do you just sit there and watch them get run over? "I'm not responsible for their stupid mistake! Let them die"

Quote:
If a driver doesn't notice (in the dark no less) that they don't have their lights on, it's not likely they'll understand why oncoming traffic is flashing their lights.
It's not exactly a mentally challenging concept to most people. If another driver honks at you or flicks their lights at you, it makes sense to think for a second - what am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my vehicle? Am I dragging debris? Are my lights out? Etc..

There are circumstances where it's easy to not notice due to a lot of street lights. I saw drivers do it in Brooklyn all the time. When on foot I'd shout "your lights!" and point at them and sometimes they'd turn them on. Similarly when driving in other areas at dusk, half the time I'd flick my lights at them they'd turn their lights on. I've had cops do it to me before as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
You weren't stopped so you are fine. Stop worrying.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by existant View Post
It's not exactly a mentally challenging concept to most people.
No it's not, but those who aren't challenged by it are likely able to notice their lights aren't on to begin with.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBonzai View Post
Stop being so paranoid and move on with your life.
Weed can make you more paranoid.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
This is the second time you've posted about being worried someone reported you. Your paranoia is unhealthy. Red light cameras are the only ones that you would have to worry about getting a ticket without getting pulled over. No one reports drivers for doing anything short of hit and run. Even if they did, the police don't send out tickets. They have to actually see you do something, then pull you over to write the ticket. If you do hit and run, they usually will find you, but that's another story.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
If someone did report you, there will still be no ticket.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I think we can leave off with the mockery. The OP is probably a younger and not terribly experienced driver, and is worried because he realized that he had violated what we would all agree is a valid safety law.

I remember the first time I realized I had started driving without my headlights on, and I was briefly freaked out about it (I think I noticed my reflection in a store window and immediately turned them on). We all (well, most of us) learn from our mistakes.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think we can leave off with the mockery. The OP is probably a younger and not terribly experienced driver, and is worried because he realized that he had violated what we would all agree is a valid safety law.

I remember the first time I realized I had started driving without my headlights on, and I was briefly freaked out about it (I think I noticed my reflection in a store window and immediately turned them on). We all (well, most of us) learn from our mistakes.
It isn't the first time, though...He's been paranoid about a ticket in the mail before.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
This is the second time you've posted about being worried someone reported you. Your paranoia is unhealthy. Red light cameras are the only ones that you would have to worry about getting a ticket without getting pulled over. No one reports drivers for doing anything short of hit and run. Even if they did, the police don't send out tickets. They have to actually see you do something, then pull you over to write the ticket. If you do hit and run, they usually will find you, but that's another story.
Yes.

Let's say someone reported (to who? 911? Flagging down passing police officer?): "I saw license plate 123-XYZ driving without his lights on at 8:30 pm on 1/27/2016."

Let's say a police officer looked up the registered owner, wrote out a ticket, and mailed it to the registered owner.

Let's say registered owner appears in court to context the ticket: "Your honor, my car never left the driveway that day."

Judge to officer: "Officer Fife, did you observe this vehicle registered 123-XYZ on a public street at the date and time in question without lights on?"

Officer Fife: "No, your honor, that information was passed to me by the 911 dispatcher."

Judge to officer: "All you have is hearsay testimony?"

Officer Fife: "Yes, your honor."

At this point, the judge spends the next 15 minutes giving Officer Fife a stern public butt-chew.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM

820 posts, read 973,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Does your car have an "Auto" setting? I always keep the lights set to "Auto" and the sensor will turn my lights on when it is dark enough.

I see people driving in poor lighting conditions and in the rain all the time without their lights on. I wish more people would just set it to auto, I don't know why they don't use the convenience features of their automobile.

What really gets me are the idiots that just turn their running lights on when its dark out. Their trying to "look cool" or whatever they are thinking in their little minds might get someone killed.
No, it doesn't. If it did I would definitely use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive