Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times

Advertisements

Back in the late 1070's had a chance to buy a 1958 Bentley. Ran it around in my mind since I had the cash but being single and car poor (4 cars) along being the only driver and where would they all park...so I passed but still?????

Fast forward. Understood that later years used Mineral Oil in the brake system. Heard about a independent garage adding good old US brake fluid in a RR that cost him over $2K to repair the system correctly. Anyone else know what fluid is used?

As for that $5K RR...... would love to have it. My late mechanic dad had a chance to work on a early 30's RR and it was a trip for him knowledge wise.

I am a retired (VW mechanic/engine builder/parts house owner) so my finger nails can stand a little dirt....keeps the cobwebs away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 04:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I wouldn't key the car or call the owner names, but he does have a point being annoyed by the rolls owner double parking. I can't stand people doing that. At least the caddy owner made the effort to park that tank properly.
Yeah, he's really special, bless his heart.

Southerners will understand.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
Those two cars are both awesome. I had a 1970 Lincoln limo that was great fun and my first choice for another classic would be a late 70's Shadow II or Wraith. I think they're the last truly classic body styles.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM

426 posts, read 423,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Yeah tough guy you get em!

Did you notice how the Caddy doesn't even fit in one space....I bet that makes you madddddddd Internet tough guy
That caddy parked perfectly. Thumb up to the caddy driver.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
That caddy parked perfectly. Thumb up to the caddy driver.
Exactly.

I don't key vehicles, but I have parked next to them in such a fashion that they can't get into their drivers door. If buddy is concerned about door dings, go park as far away from the store as possible.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have had several opportunities to purchase Silver Spurs, Silver Shadows, Silver Spirits over the years locally. All for under $15k easily.
There was a guy with a gold one who couldn't unload it even at $4k along the 2-way highway on which he lived.

I wouldn't really want one, only one "Import dealer" here who MIGHT be able to work on it, who specializes in the oddities of imported autos, Like Fiats, etc. He sells regular imports too, as bread and butter money makers, like you;d find on any other car lot {Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishis, etc}.

WHile I can't physically work on my vehicles anymore, I'd still want a car that had a dealer handy to work on. Mercedes has a used dealer who specializes in them, but no mew dealer around here. Never know when I'd get into trouble working on the RR and not being able to take it to the dealer and pay the $150/hr "you worked on it first" labor rate instead of the regular rate wouldn't be beneficial to me.

I'd LIKE to have one and the bumper sticker to say "my other car really is a Rolls", but practicality weighs in.

BTW for those who have never experienced one, they aren't really big cars at all, they are rather midsized at best. They DO come in L or R hand dive models over here, and they can be fussy I guess to work on, and get right. They arena't really all that impressive over some of our luxury cars of days of old. I'd rather have had my {late} Grandmother's last Caddy, a 1983 Sedan De Ville, in brown with crushed velour seats. Much better looking car,and much to MOH [my Other Half}'s chagrin, have been searching for one like it to buy up here in the Great WHite North. Wish I had had the money to buy or been able to have spoken up when grandmother died, but alas I couldn't travel {air} to the funeral as I was to ill at the time. Had I been there, I don't think my aunt to whom it was left would have minded if I had it, she didn't want it and it was sold and the money used to help settle Grandmother's ample estate. SHe probably would have given it to me!

*sigh* thank you for this stroll down amnesia lane....
Amnesia lane is right! You must be looking at Grandmother's 1983 caddy with rose colored glasses and a case of beer. Thing looked like a Soviet version of a Crown Vic.

Even my 1977 Buick Century colonnade hardtop looked better.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:45 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What do you mean, "Fortunately, I was driving one of my Cadillacs........?" What difference does it make what kind of car you were driving? You could be riding a kid's tricycle and park next to the Rolls if you wanted!
I said "fortunately" because I thought it would look good with two luxury cars parked next to each other.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Those two cars are both awesome. I had a 1970 Lincoln limo that was great fun and my first choice for another classic would be a late 70's Shadow II or Wraith. I think they're the last truly classic body styles.
The LWB in the Wraith makes the back seat more comfortable than the Shadow, but I'd only get a later example, the II series, as you noted, as they handle better, and one with full service history because it's worth it to pay more for a better example than one which needs extensive restoration. The Corniche IV was the last of the series, and did benefit from updates through the years, though you'd have to get a convertible for the most updated model from 92-96 as the coupe was discontinued with the debut of the Corniche II in 1988. Things like ABS, stronger air conditioning, better mechanical systems, airbags, etc. make the later Corniche IV a better daily driver, but values tend to hold stronger than the Shadow and Wraith II series.

Ironically, I like the Silver Seraph because it was a hearkened back to the Shadow/Wraith with the rounded headlamps and rear tail lights, as well as the presence of the body, albeit with a BMW 12-cylinder power plant, not a 6.75L V8. The Arnage did have an 8-cylinder, and later examples used a modified 6.75, after the separation of Bentley and Rolls-Royce. It was a modern interpretation of a classic, before the departure from classic lines completely with the advent of the modern Phantom and Ghost, but the Silver Shadow/Wraith/Corniche series was the last of the classic lines.

The 80s Spirit and Spur were too boxy for Rolls-Royce, a phenomenon that Jaguar embodied with the slab-sided XJ40, though the XJ300 went back to a curvilinear, more traditional Jaguar shape, not unlike the Seraph embodying the classic lines, updated with modern technology. It's interesting that the Corniche continued with the classic style until 1995, sold alongside the squared-off Spirits and Spurs.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-17-2016, 11:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Personally, I'm much more impressed by the Caddy still having those little fender extensions between the fenders and the tail lights. It is rare to see that year of Caddilac with those little pieces intact.

The gray car is okay, but the driver doesn't seem to be able to park very well. The Caddy looks much more fun.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
They're both gorgeous. I think you should mark out the license plate numbers on the photos, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive