Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

I think your silly analogy and inability to mind your own business is what ticked him off. If he enjoys his car the way he wants to do it that is all that really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
To each his own. I can't figure out why it needs to be washed each week despite not leaving the garage. Gotta be OCD of some sort that someone will benefit from in future. I was watching a show where a guy was racing around his 60's Ferrari gto on track with no insurance because of being on track. His car is worth at least $38m (last time this model sold it set world record for highest sale ever) Imagine crashing it at the track!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post

Actually now that I think about it, he seemed more annoyed with my questioning of why he doesn't drive it more than anything else. Oh well...
Kind of like one guy I knew collected 3-D comic books, some said "Ever read them?" He just STARED at them (After he'd just explained how valuable they were with no cracks or damage) his desire to not read them, keeps them rated high 9's.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Id be annoyed if someone asked me "why?"
I would ask "why do you care?" and it would be the last interaction I would ever have with you
In case you don't get it, there is no way you can ask that without seeming like a condescending tool.
It would come across offensively if you were on the receiving end. To each their own.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
He is afraid some moron will run into it.
Exactly.

I inherited my dad's 1967 Corvette coupe, 427-435, 4 sp, with all factory options. He bought it new and it's been in a climate controlled garage it's entire life. It has 21K original miles.

I'm not that big a car guy and would never have bought a car like this. I take it out for a spin now and then, but only at 2:00 or 3:00 am. Even that's high risk....some of the worst drivers anywhere are here (DC area).

I honestly don't trust myself....if some dumbass with a smartphone were to plow into it, I could see myself flying into a homicidal rage....and I don't want to spend my retirement years in the penitentiary.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Most of my cars are garage queens or yard art because I don't have them registered/insured. Driven my TR6 11 miles in the last 2 years. Driven my 1981 Cutlass Calais exactly half a mile in the last 6 years. Driven my 1969 Suburban 1 mile in the last 2 years, my 1972 Suburban 11 miles in 8 years, etc. Some may see it as wasteful, but meh...

Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's really not important for anyone to understand why others do what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's none of your business what he does with his car and quite frankly, yes, you were offensive.
The OP wasn't in a tone of animosity of contempt; it was sincere curiosity, though perhaps the delivery was undiplomatic.

The basic premise, as I see it, is the tension between shepherding a precious resource and from time to time enjoying it. Does the enjoyment consume any of its value? Maybe not. In fact one could make the case that NEVER driving a vehicle actually detracts from its value, because the various mechanical components need to be lubricated, brought up to operating temperature and so forth, to maintain proper function.

My own garage queen is neither rare nor precious nor pristine, but it is fragile and unusual. I'm terrified that driving it will cause the various barely-running bits to lose their functionality, in a manner where I have neither the wherewithal nor the knowledge to repair. A potentially-running car, that's never run, at least offers the psychological bulwark of, well, potential. But if actually exercised, all sorts of problems might crop up, notwithstanding my aforementioned statement about the need for exercise.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
My neighbor has a beautiful showroom condition '68 Mustang. Once a week on the wknd he opens up his garage door and plays some music while he pulls the car out of the garage and washes it. Once he's done and the car is completely dry, he fires it up and drives it 3ft back into his garage. Now I've lived in the neighborhood for the past 7yrs and not once have I seen him take it out for a drive.

Last wknd I happened to be outside with the dog while he was going thru his weekly routine and I figured I stop by to admire the car and engage is some friendly car chat. After a few minutes I asked him if he ever plans on taking it out and feeding it some speed. His reply "oh no!" I then told him that it would be way too tempting for me to have such a machine parked right in my garage and never take it out on the open road and get to enjoy it. I then said .."it'll be like having a beautiful sexy woman at home but refusing to have sex with her!" Of course I said it in a joking way followed by a quick chuckle. It was as if I offended him. He replies ..."hey, you do what makes you happy and I'll do what makes me happy!" To avoid any further hostility I tell him "you're absolutely right. Have a wonderful day" then proceeded walking my dog.

I guess my question for any garage queens here is, how do you get any enjoyment out of owning a fully functioning vehicle that is actually a blast to drive but instead, refuse to drive it!?

I'm not saying that it's a right or wrong thing. I just don't see the purpose UNLESS it was an extremely rare collectible that you plan on cashing out one day or keeping it in the family for whatever reason.

On the other hand I have another guy who lives in the neighborhood who owns a GNX Grand National and it's his daily driver. This man absolutely loves his car and at the same time, loves driving it! He's smiling even on a rainy day while behind the wheel.

Let me cover the answers to the replies I know I'm about to get.

- yes he's able to drive as he uses an SUV as his daily driver.

- yes the car is mechanically sound and can be driven. I know because he's made it clear to me on a few occasions.

- no his wife is not dead and it shouldn't be the reason why he would get offended by my comment about "having a sexy woman at home but refusing to have sex with her". But now that I think of it, what's to say he's not Impotent.

Actually now that I think about it, he seemed more annoyed with my questioning of why he doesn't drive it more than anything else. Oh well...
20 years ago I would have agreed with you and used your same analogy with Pam Anderson as the sexy example.

I used to track my expensive sports car and make fun of the trailer queen wash and wax guys.

It annoyed me that they wasted good HP just moving the car in and out of the trailer but I guess I have matured since then because now I just don't care what other people do or don't do with their cars.

The bottom line is it's NOMB.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:35 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The bottom line is it's NOMB.

Ok, sure but neither is it your business to politely ask someone "How are you doing?" I bet you have asked that of someone before. God forbid we ask someone about their car, we might OFFEND them! *GASP* Better just stick to talking about the weather and other BS small talk topics.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Id be annoyed if someone asked me "why?"
I would ask "why do you care?" and it would be the last interaction I would ever have with you
In case you don't get it, there is no way you can ask that without seeming like a condescending tool.
It would come across offensively if you were on the receiving end. To each their own.
Maybe you should read the post again. Nowhere did I say that I asked him "why?". I asked him if he plans on ever taking for a spin and how I would be way too tempted not to.

Didn't realize that some men were that sensitive and easily offended over casual car talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive