Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM

181 posts, read 168,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Good thing I do not have cars with catalytic converters in my attached garage, then...poisoning people? Really? Relax...
People like me have tried to tell our community leaders to relax (their building codes) in other areas and allow detached garages. Fell on deaf ears. Why should anyone else dictate how my garage is aligned to my home? Why are attached garages THE LAW of the land in most places. Look behind the green mask.

You relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Builders must love the prospect of people being scared into paying for two buildings instead of one.

And people who hate garages might have a motive to make the popular attached garage "dangerous." That author would do better to focus on other household items that can harm occupants. How about carpeting, for starters?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
People like me have tried to tell our community leaders to relax (their building codes) in other areas and allow detached garages. Fell on deaf ears. Why should anyone else dictate how my garage is aligned to my home? Why are attached garages THE LAW of the land in most places. Look behind the green mask.

You relax.
I am relaxed...community leaders are relaxed also. They realize that attached garages aren't dangerous, and they're not going to wait for you to. Good for the leaders.

If you wanted a neighborhood where you can build a detached garage, you should've looked at the HOA regulations before you moved there, or better yet, don't even live in a neighborhood. You must adhere to THEIR rules, not the other way around, whether or not you believe that attached garages are dangerous...which they're not.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
People actually park cars in their garage? I find it to be more of a hassle. I do have one car in there but its a project. Guess im safe.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I am relaxed...community leaders are relaxed also. They realize that attached garages aren't dangerous, .
Let's pretend that's true. Why do I care if you have an attached garage? I don't really care if you choose to lower the IQ of your family. By the same token, why is there a dictate as to my wanting a detached garage? Is my detached garage harming you? I have a detached garage & have moved to an area that doesn't care if I have one or not. This type of area is very hard to find. Good luck finding one in fact.

The point is, why is there a (United Nations based) law against detached garages almost everywhere?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Quote:
Let's pretend that's true. Why do I care if you have an attached garage? I don't really care if you choose to lower the IQ of your family. By the same token, why is there a dictate as to my wanting a detached garage? Is my detached garage harming you? I have a detached garage & have moved to an area that doesn't care if I have one or not. This type of area is very hard to find. Good luck finding one in fact.

The point is, why is there a law against detached garages almost everywhere?
It is true, no pretending required. My cat-less (pre 1975) cars in my garage are not going to lower my family's IQs. In fact, thinking that is true is simply absurd. I don't care if you have a detached garage or not, but the HOA probably does. So you moved to an area where they don't care if you have a detached garage. Why are you complaining?

There is a "law" against detached garages almost everywhere because that's just how HOAs are running their neighborhoods, plain and simple. Don't like it, don't move there. If places that allow detached garages are hard to find, sorry, but that's YOUR job to find one, not to complain about how most neighborhoods are run. I don't know how or why attached garages became the norm, but they are the norm, and until that changes...you're simply SOL.

In fact, I am looking for a place where I can have both a detached garage in the backyard and a normal attached garage. The attached garage would be for daily drivers and the detached would be for projects. Maybe even two detached garages if the chunk of land is large enough. But, I'm not over here wanting to change the norm. As I said, until the norm changes for whatever reason, you're SOL.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
Ben, once you make the claim that the UN has something to do with whether or not detached garages are allowed you are in serious fringe territory and not many folks are going to take you seriously.

Good luck with your crusade.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM

497 posts, read 428,362 times
Quote:
The Garage Queen thread got me thinking about this subject again. Thought I'd start a separate thread on this, rather than hijack.. Would like to hear rebuttals or why people justify living under the same roof line as their cars. The catalytic converter keeps working up to 30 minutes after you park your car. Fumes are being leaked into living areas, no matter how air tight you think you garage is & slowly poisoning you & your family. The situation is much worse if you have vehicles that require premium fuel.

Attached garages were brought about as part of 'smart growth' & the green agenda programs. These are masked ways of pushing Agenda 21. Forcing people, many city codes now require attached garages, to live under the same roof as your (horse) vehicle is terrible for your health.

I recently (am in the final weeks) built a new home & went round & round w/ a retired Ford engineer who designed my home, about my desire for a detached garage. His final volley was something like, frankly poor people live in houses w/ detached garages. My comeback was poor people live in the barn w/ their horses. Not sure why I had to convince him anyway. I was paying for it & going to live in the house, not the barn/garage.

Prior to this I kept my vehicles parked outside of the garage of homes that I owned w/ attached garages.
That is some seriously paranoid tinfoil hat stuff in the bolded part!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Question Attached Garages=Bad for you & your family

Quote:
These are masked ways of pushing Agenda 21.
Do you understand what "non-binding" means?

Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It is true, no pretending required. My cat-less (pre 1975) cars in my garage are not going to lower my family's IQs. In fact, thinking that is true is simply absurd. I don't care if you have a detached garage or not, but the HOA probably does. So you moved to an area where they don't care if you have a detached garage. Why are you complaining?

There is a "law" against detached garages almost everywhere because that's just how HOAs are running their neighborhoods, plain and simple. Don't like it, don't move there. If places that allow detached garages are hard to find, sorry, but that's YOUR job to find one, not to complain about how most neighborhoods are run. I don't know how or why attached garages became the norm, but they are the norm, and until that changes...you're simply SOL.

In fact, I am looking for a place where I can have both a detached garage in the backyard and a normal attached garage. The attached garage would be for daily drivers and the detached would be for projects. Maybe even two detached garages if the chunk of land is large enough. But, I'm not over here wanting to change the norm. As I said, until the norm changes for whatever reason, you're SOL.
You don't know & yet you're commenting on a thread started by someone who's is giving you links to proof as to the sinister plan behind how these types of things came to be...? Uh.. seems legit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive