Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times

Advertisements

The driver makes the douche, not the car.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,207 times
I was called a fa66ot by an idiot woman driver one day, because i was driving a BMW. I don't recall how it lead up that, but probably something to do with her sitting at a green light staring at her phone, and her upbringing in rural Alabama.

I'm assuming of course. Just like she assume I MUST be a homosexual because I'm not an overweight Alabama redneck driving a gas guzzling 4x4 on interstate freeways.

Whatever. I drive what I want because I like the car and I spend a lot of time in it.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
It's not what you drive. It's how you drive that makes someone look like a douche. If you're driving a 1990 Honda Civic like an idiot you look like a douche. If you're driving a 2016 Buick like a jerk, then you'll look like a douche. If you're driving a tractor trailer like an asshat, then you'll look like a douche.

Just because someone drives a $50, 60, 80 thousand dollar vehicle doesn't make them a douche. Plenty of people have expensive vehicles and aren't jerks. It's not the vehicle. It's the personality behind the wheel.

And fart mufflers.....yeah you look like an idiot automatically.....

Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 AM

902 posts, read 1,106,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Truthfully I label drivers douchebags not their cars. The vehicle is simply the container that encapsulates the douchebag. But as far as pretentious Ahole douchebag I vote Prius drivers. I think they automatically staple a few Aholes to your body upon receiving the keys, just to make sure they covered all the bases
I second this vote

you don't need to spend $100,000 on a car to be a Douche, having an agenda will do

the Honda Civic Hybrid which was superior to the Prius sold poorly as it looks just like the non-hybrid model, When Honda surveyed those who looked at the Civic Hybrid but chose the Prius....... they found the most common response was "I want people to know I'm driving a Hybrid"

Last edited by azsportpilot; 04-13-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 AM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Porsche is too common and inexpensive to appear that the driver is rich. Same for Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW and Audi. Even Teslas are all over the place. Around here, to raise eyebrows you must have a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Bentley.
Yeah, Tesla was a new fade in out doctors garage too for the last 3 or so years. Maseratis and Porsches and Jags vanished and Tesla stepped in.
Wouldn't MB, Jag, AND Ferrari and Lambo still fall into the same "rich douche" category though?
I have second thoughts on Bentley or Royce though. Bentley is rather a classy car.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Truthfully I label drivers douchebags not their cars. The vehicle is simply the container that encapsulates the douchebag. But as far as pretentious Ahole douchebag I vote Prius drivers. I think they automatically staple a few Aholes to your body upon receiving the keys, just to make sure they covered all the bases
No, they sniff their farts in the bottle. Look up South Park episode on that.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 AM

902 posts, read 1,106,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No, they sniff their farts in the bottle. Look up South Park episode on that.
Haha

that was a great episode, they really were able to reveal the thought processes and motivations of Prius buyers,

funny cause it's true

Old 04-13-2016, 10:40 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
I second this vote

you don't need to spend $100,000 on a car to be a Douche, having an agenda will do

the Honda Civic Hybrid which was superior to the Prius sold poorly as it looks just like the non-hybrid model, When Honda surveyed those who looked at the Civic Hybrid but chose the Prius....... they found the most common response was "I want people to know I'm driving a Hybrid"
Along with "I bought the roomier car with more passenger and cargo room that got much better gas mileage." Surprisingly, fun to drive wasn't high on the list of things people looking at hybrids cared about, which was the only thing the Civic Hybrid did better than the Prius. Especially once the reliability of the Civic Hybrid got out with the battery replacement being around 10x that of the Prius, and 100-300x higher than the Prius in the final years of the Gen II Civic hybrid, that kind of sealed the nail on the coffin. Nobody wanted to replace traction batteries and since the Civic had a 30% failure rate that didn't inspire much confidence in anyone. Sure, those were being replaced almost entirely under warranty but if 30% of the batteries can't even make it 3-4 years, well that's pretty stupid. Given the 30% failure rate, I wouldn't look at any hybrid Honda makes for another five years or so. They may have fixed the problem with Gen III but by that time it was too late. The Insight didn't really sell either for the same reasons the Civic Hybrid didn't. Reputation of poor reliability, poor fuel economy relative to the Prius, smaller and less practical, more road noise. That it drove better than a Prius didn't really help it any since that wasn't a major consideration for people buying hybrids like the Prius or Insight or Civic Hybrid.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-13-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM

221 posts, read 335,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And your opinion sucks. Being judgmental is not a pretty thing as this thread proves. The majority of us BMW owners are enthusiasts who needed or wanted something practical that also has outstanding chassis/balance/acceleration/agility. It's true that my 7 series is an older model that delivers all that at a reasonable price, but my son's leased 2015 3 series turbo diesel wagon is a practical car (good for carrying his dogs and gets 45 mpg) and still has speed and handling balance to make it fun to drive (he's had three 3 series cars, including his latest cash purchase, a 2004 330i ZHP sedan with the 6 sped manual. Fast little car).
Dejected outrage that someone said something bad about their car, check.
Drives an old 7 series that the stylist had to have been on bath salts when working on it, check.
Rented 'practical' overpriced low end car...minus the standard features found elsewhere, check.
Not enough sense to steer clear of buying a decade old BMW, check.

Yep, BMW douches there!

Don't you love stereotypes?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:47 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Do you have a link? I'd be interested in reading more about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive