Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM

17,361 posts, read 12,315,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Agree with this 100$

- but also keep in mind there is a difference between the crap Chinese tries out there and a good 2nd tier brand like Continental or General....no need to run to Goodyear or Bridgestone.....
Bah, Goodyear and Bridgestone are 2nd tier compared to Continental.

Tire buying for dummies? Buy the highest rated tires at tirerack that are in your budget. Doesn't need to actually be purchased from them as locals can sometimes match or beat their prices. But absolutely start your research there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Just go to Costco. Smaller selection, so you won't be overwhelmed, and they'll install them for you with a lifetime hazard warranty. They will have what you need and they'll size it right.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM

522 posts, read 995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just go to Costco. Smaller selection, so you won't be overwhelmed, and they'll install them for you with a lifetime hazard warranty. They will have what you need and they'll size it right.

And also free rotation every 7500 miles.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:25 PM

423 posts, read 611,959 times
I always used Costco. They probably have only couple brands: Bridgestone or Michellin. I try to wait for coupon where you get 4 tires for price of 3.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,410,882 times
I used to race cars, so I used to care a lot about my tires.

Now, I'm a boring grown-up and use my car for commuting. When buying tires for my commuter car, I just look for the highest treadwear rating for the lowest price. I also check tire rack reviews just to make sure they aren't overly noisy (I like a quite ride now), but otherwise all I really care about is treadwear because I don't want to be buying tires again any time soon.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,412,764 times
tire rack ok, but discount tires have free shipping

Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 PM

197 posts, read 208,780 times
Default Thank you!!

Wow, thank you all so much!!! Excellent advice, I took a lot of notes. I'm sure this thread will help some other clueless people like me in the future.
Some of you gave me specific ratings to go by, that were particularly helpful Now I feel less overwhelmed!
So my plan is to go back to Tirerack (and maybe some other sites mentioned) and do some research, pick up a couple that I like then head over to local Discount Tire (the local shop has really good reviews; sorry no Costco for me) for price match

Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
i like discount tire also. as for brands to look at, two i tend to prefer these days is falken and khumo. have run both and found them to be quite good, and in my area they are reasonably priced as well at $75 to 85 per tire.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,859,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
And also free rotation every 7500 miles.
In my area most local tire dealers will rotate for free also, in fact at pretty well any interval. I've had tire/car combos that didn't get to 7,500 miles . I often rotate now at 3000 to 5000 miles depending on car, tire, usage.

Rotation is another item to look into when selecting a vendor for tire purchase. In fact it's probably the biggest area where Tire Rack and its online competitors don't match up with buying local...if you don't rotate your own. Rotation is usually good and often extends tire usable life.

Shops like it too because they get to see the car/owner regularly and can do other work/checkups so more revenue. There is nothing wrong with this, in fact for most folks it's good, especially if the shop is competent at the other work. Locals often advertise specials like this (oik change, inspections, etc.) on their web sites and paper ads.

BTW, I agree with a couple brand comments above: Continentals are not 2nd tier, Generals are often good tires and good value...but the buyer should shop by brand/model, not just brand.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 AM

887 posts, read 1,218,474 times
One more reason I am glad to have a straight up repair place I have dealt with for decades. Tires would be one less thing I'd have to research till I had a headache.
The net is a blessing and a curse sometimes with the sheer amount of info. I swear there is almost nothing produced that you can't find reasons to talk yourself out of if you read enough. All I know is I have Hankooks that were stock on my E250 work van. Almost 50K and still have almost 1/2 tread. Also the second van from Ford where the tires 1/2 life was double that of the trans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive