Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM

19,104 posts, read 27,696,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is why I park on the outer end of a lot.
When you do this, a beater car will park next to yours and slam door into it. Guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM

This is a general attitude question that comes from specific national feature to believe that world belongs to them, serves them, and must give way no matter how wrong a person is. Years of brainwashing that way. Now we rip the results. It's like this everywhere - walking down a street, a hall, don't matter. It is "I AM THE KING" mentality and nothing you can do about it.
Back in my ol country, you'd have been 1. hit; 2. cussed out; 3. had fist driven into your face. Yes, that was "rude" but gives a valued life lesson so next time you start watching where the darn you walk.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This is why I find the spots to park in where I can go forward to leave the spot instead of backing up. People are just too stupid these days with things like letting their kids run through parking lots, heads looking down at their cell phones, etc. You hit them and whose fault is it? Yours. Your fault for their lack of paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

+1
Additionally, whenever possible, I park so that I can exit from a parking space by driving forward, rather than backing-up.

The incidence of parking lot mishaps while backing out of parking spaces is very high, simply because of the visibility issue.
If you can exit from your parking space by driving forward WITH CAUTION, you are much less likely to have problems with other vehicles or pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I always try to park so that I don't have to back out to leave. That goes a long way to address the clueless walker problem.
And you are all part of the issue as well. In our area if you pull through to the next lane you are going the wrong direction when leaving which causes more issues and more risk of getting into an accident or hitting someone on your way out.
Is it so hard to be aware of your surroundings, pay attention, back out very slowly and go the right direction?
Park in the very last space in the lot like we do, you will have very few issues with people walking behind you as you are slowly backing out of the parking space to exit in the proper direction.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM

See, I just had a proof to exactly what I said. Walking down the hall in hospital, headed to see a patient. Shoulder duly 2 inches away from the wall on my right side - it's the right hand traffic country, right?
Two gals walking towards me, apparently from cafeteria, food in hands, deeply involved in conversation.
Of course, they are taking ENTIRE hall width out and one of them basically walked into me, making me plaster myself against the wall.
That said, I am 6'4'' and you have to be blind blind - or don't give rats tail - to walk into me like this.
So what do you expect? Her be considerate of others driving? Or, walking in a parking lot?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 948,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And you are all part of the issue as well. In our area if you pull through to the next lane you are going the wrong direction when leaving which causes more issues and more risk of getting into an accident or hitting someone on your way out.
Is it so hard to be aware of your surroundings, pay attention, back out very slowly and go the right direction?
Park in the very last space in the lot like we do, you will have very few issues with people walking behind you as you are slowly backing out of the parking space to exit in the proper direction.
I don't understand this - why would you be going in the wrong direction? Or are you assuming diagonal/slanted spaces? The vast majority of parking lots here have non-slanted spaces, and the aisles are two-way. If they are slanted, you can still turn hard enough to be going in the correct direction.

As you probably guessed, I'm one of those pull-through people. Because no matter how fast or slowly you are backing out, and how far you've backed out (1" or 3/4 of the car), there's often a vehicle racing past you anyways. Turns out rear-vision cameras don't help a ton with that issue.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:49 PM

19,162 posts, read 25,405,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I always try to park so that I don't have to back out to leave. That goes a long way to address the clueless walker problem.
...and the speeding driver problem...

At the school where I labored for 35 years, on an almost daily basis--as I was backing out of my parking space--a car (or occasionally more than one) would zoom in back my car, even when I was already more than 50% of the way out of my parking space. Yes, most of the offenders were high school students, but there were a significant number of clueless/rude parents who did the same thing.

Unfortunately, that parking lot was not set-up to allow for "fronting out" of a parking space, but...Wouldn't you think that when those other drivers saw a car that had backed most of the way out of a parking space, they would have had the sense and the courtesy to stop and allow that other vehicle to complete its maneuver?
Nope!
Most days I was not given any courtesy by those other drivers as I attempted to back out of my parking space, and as a result nowadays I will only park in a space that requires backing-out if there are no other spaces available.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,044,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
My biggest peeve being, if someone is already backing out and I mean passenger door is almost out of the spot and someone walks behind my car. Why would you do that? It's like asking to get hit. Do people take no personal responsibility for their own safety anymore?
Maybe it depends on where you live. Up here in Toronto, it seems like most people know enough to not walk in front of a car that's coming out of a parking spot. Usually when I'm backing out people will usually either stop and wait until I come out or else they'll walk a different path to avoid me completely. Its very rare for me to be backing out and see someone walking past my car although the few times it has happened they were usually female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This is why I find the spots to park in where I can go forward to leave the spot instead of backing up. People are just too stupid these days with things like letting their kids run through parking lots, heads looking down at their cell phones, etc. You hit them and whose fault is it? Yours. Your fault for their lack of paying attention.
Still don't understand why people think its so hard to back out of a parking spot? I mean all you really have to do is go SLOWLY with your foot near the brake pedal ready to stop and slowly back out while looking around and making sure the road is clear. Not really that difficult.

I'd much rather just quickly park head first into a spot and go then waste time backing into a spot and then when I'm ready to leave, walk back to my car and see that the lot is much emptier than when I arrived and hence making backing out of a spot way easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
See, I just had a proof to exactly what I said. Walking down the hall in hospital, headed to see a patient. Shoulder duly 2 inches away from the wall on my right side - it's the right hand traffic country, right?
Two gals walking towards me, apparently from cafeteria, food in hands, deeply involved in conversation.
Of course, they are taking ENTIRE hall width out and one of them basically walked into me, making me plaster myself against the wall.
That said, I am 6'4'' and you have to be blind blind - or don't give rats tail - to walk into me like this.
So what do you expect? Her be considerate of others driving? Or, walking in a parking lot?
No offense, but THIS is why many women are bad drivers and now even bad pedestrians because they're so often COMPLETELY oblivious to their surroundings. This year in Toronto we've had a number of pedestrian deaths and injuries and most of the time the victims are either seniors and/or females. IE people with the least amount of awareness of their surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
At the school where I labored for 35 years, on an almost daily basis--as I was backing out of my parking space--a car (or occasionally more than one) would zoom in back my car, even when I was already more than 50% of the way out of my parking space. Yes, most of the offenders were high school students, but there were a significant number of clueless/rude parents who did the same thing.

Unfortunately, that parking lot was not set-up to allow for "fronting out" of a parking space, but...Wouldn't you think that when those other drivers saw a car that had backed most of the way out of a parking space, they would have had the sense and the courtesy to stop and allow that other vehicle to complete its maneuver?
Maybe that's just it. People are aware of you but they're not courtenous enough to stop for you. For me if I see a car starting to back out but is still mostly in their parking spot, I'll usually pass them if I can. But if I see a car that's mostly backed out, then I'll stop and wait for them to finish than risk an accident.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,329,752 times
I try to back into parking spots. Unfortunately, people are buried into their gadgets these days and don't pay attention and if I hit them, then I'm at fault (hence why I back into spaces).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
When people do that, I stop dead in my tracks to make them move. It forces them to move to the other side.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 PM

7,797 posts, read 6,416,354 times
The clueless haven't figured out that that illuminated back-up lights mean that the car is backing out and the driver may not see them. The cure is simple, connect a loud beeper to the back-up lights and create noise pollution. I did see a report the other day about a woman walking and texting who walked into a moving train. It knocked her on her arse.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Some people keep their heads in a warm, brown place throughout most of their lives, convinced that everyone else will watch out for them, since they won't watch out for themselves.
Truer words (and maybe even funnier words) were never spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive