Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,723,232 times

Advertisements

Back in. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,340,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I was in this situation the other day. Car started backing up. I was right behind it (walking). Only thing I could do was slap the cars trunk lid with my hand. They did stop after I did that...

Some new cars are so quiet, its hard to tell they are running, and reverse lights are hard to see during the day... Those back-up buzzers are making more sense...
The sound of cars had nothing to do with it. You were in the right, 100% she should of waited.

I'd also like to add in the jerks who want your spot but wait for it in a place that makes backing out harder

Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,679,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Maybe their nose is buried in their cell phone?
That's exactly what is. I find it amazing, have to answer that oh so important text or post on FB that they just left Target.

When they should be paying attention to what is going on around them and not assume all drivers are paying attention.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,619,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is why I park on the outer end of a lot.
And why I always 'back' in so when I go to leave, I'm driving forward and able to see anyone or thing in my line of sight.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:06 PM

455 posts, read 389,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I obviously 100% understand and agree it's the drivers job to make sure it's all clear when backing up.

However, I feel that those in the parking lot should also be cautious and careful.

My biggest peeve being, if someone is already backing out and I mean passenger door is almost out of the spot and someone walks behind my car. Why would you do that? It's like asking to get hit. Do people take no personal responsibility for their own safety anymore?
Oh my, this happened to me the other day. I am one of those extra cautious backer-upper types (for this very reason). So the other day I'm backing out, in motion and sald way out of the stall when this couple start approaching. The wife stops and the guy just keeps walking behind my moving car!! The wife yells at husband and say watch out sweetie, the car is backing out (duh) and I hear the dude say, well she better not hit me cuz I gotta the right of way. WTF?!?!? I obviously stopped (who needs that drama) but I'm thinking I have a huge heavy car that can right of way your spine in several places and chop off your knees caps.

The examples could go on and on and not just pedestrian manners but also drivers. I think the issue is more about people only thinking about themselves and somehow feel they are always #1 no matter what, we could all take a lesson in harmony and make ourselves #2 and just let the other guy or gal go first.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM

7,797 posts, read 6,418,143 times
A hoot owl can turn his head 180 degrees, a ninety year old can't. The ninety year old still needs to fetch groceries.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:50 AM

15,440 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Back in. Problem solved.
No, it doesn't. There are still many fools who will walk behind a car backing in too!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The clueless haven't figured out that that illuminated back-up lights mean that the car is backing out and the driver may not see them. The cure is simple, connect a loud beeper to the back-up lights and create noise pollution. I did see a report the other day about a woman walking and texting who walked into a moving train. It knocked her on her arse.
Or, it's a modern GM where the reverse lights are illuminated when the driver uses the remote to unlock the doors. Why that was thought to be a good idea is beyond me as it clouds the use of reverse lights and the meaning that the car is in gear and likely to be moving shortly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,832,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I read your earlier post about people blocking ingress to your car, and now pedestrians walking behind you as you are exiting a parking spot.

I have only encountered this behavior in a place named West Hartford. I now avoid said locale and life is totally stress free

Enjoy the nice weather for the rest of our nutmeg week.
Haha, that's why I hate driving/parking in pedestrian-heavy cities. I would never back out of a parking spot in a place like West Hartford. For me it's back-park or parallel parking only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive