Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,749,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
That's still not as visibly restrictive as a car with tint that you can't see through, at least not all the time. You can be sitting at a red light at the bottom of a hill for instance---which is EXTRA dangerous---and if the truck has clear windows, you can still see through them to judge what's coming or how fast it's coming. But you can't do that sitting next to a truck with dark tint.

Also, when did I say tinted windows should be BANNED? I just said they can be more dangerous for others to drive near at times. Reading is fundamental...
Who uses windows of other cars to check traffic? Pull forward and look over their hood. If you are that scared/paranoid I suggest walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Who uses windows of other cars to check traffic? Pull forward and look over their hood. If you are that scared/paranoid I suggest walking.
Either you have never driven a car before in your life, or you are just intentionally acting dense because you are overly sensitive to the fact that vehicles with super dark tint can be a hazard to other cars around them on the road. Maybe some bored police officer pulled you over, ruffed you up, and gave you a ticket for having an illegally dark limo tent on your windows. I don't know. But you need to stop acting like a keyboard warrior when it comes to the topic and get over it.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,915,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Will window tinting in the back window effect the rear window defroster?
No, my rear window has been (aftermarket) tinted since I have owned the car and the rear window defroster works/ has worked completely normally.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,278,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Either you have never driven a car before in your life, or you are just intentionally acting dense because you are overly sensitive to the fact that vehicles with super dark tint can be a hazard to other cars around them on the road. Maybe some bored police officer pulled you over, ruffed you up, and gave you a ticket for having an illegally dark limo tent on your windows. I don't know. But you need to stop acting like a keyboard warrior when it comes to the topic and get over it.
I think you need to take the same advice. I've been driving a long time, I can't remember the last time I had to look through some ones windows to see if traffic was coming the other way.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,088,131 times
Rear window tint also affects the operation of self dimming rearview mirrors. But the actual opacity determines whether it is a bother or not. If you don't have SDRV mirrors, then tint helps tremendously with that RVM blindness from say a truck when you are in a short car.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I think you need to take the same advice.
I'm not even going to tell you what I think. I'm just going to let you keyboard warriors and overly sensitive tinted window vehicle owners have this thread, before it gets too far off track for the others in the thread who want it to keep going. Adios.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
If you pull up next to me at a stoplight, you're more than likely going to see the door or the fender. You'd be better off trying to look under my truck than trying to see through the glass. Common sense says to ease up enough to see past the vehicle instead of trying to look through it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM

17,355 posts, read 12,311,581 times
Many truck owners seem to love pulling too far forward in that scenario and you're left with the option of just sitting and waiting for them to go before you make your turn or pull out into the lane just to see if the lane is clear...

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Many truck owners seem to love pulling too far forward in that scenario and you're left with the option of just sitting and waiting for them to go before you make your turn or pull out into the lane just to see if the lane is clear...

Some do..... admittedly. I don't though. Because of my height, I tend to stay back enough that folks on either side can see around me. I've never attempted to look through someone's side glass to see oncoming traffic though. Between their A pillar, people moving in the vehicle, etc... it doesn't seem safe enough to trust.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 948,557 times
I can appreciate the need for tinted windows in significantly hot/sunny climates like the southwest. However, having lived in the Midwest my whole life with slightly tinted windows (at best) and still bearable heat suffering (even back before A/C was a standard feature on cars), I would be hard-pressed to believe they are a necessity in this region. Here I think it's mostly for looks.

I will say this... if I can't make eye contact with a driver, which is the case with dark tinted windows, they won't be getting any special favors (like pausing to let them out of the Starbucks whose entrance is right before a very congested roundabout intersection on my commute).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive