Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:30 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
ANYONE can put a lien on anything you own... Your car, house, jewelry, furniture etc.... Say you are my neighbor...I cannot stand you and want to mess with you.. I can put a lien on your house.. And then when you go to refinance, sell, turn title over to someone else, etc, You have to deal with me before you can go forward....

As for someone doing work on your house, legally they can come and undo what they did IF you do not pay them.... And it is NOT about what the vehicle is worth or what the repair is worth.. It is about a bill that is owed plain and simple.... You thin a company that does work on a $500,000 Motorhome is going to just give it back if someone doesn't pay their bill?? No way....

Yep. You want to hear a really weird one ? Let's say you hire a contractor to do work on your house and he hires some subcontractors. Job ends and you pay the contractor, but he stiffs his subs. They can (and have) come after the home owner who might have to pay twice.....once to the crooked contractor and again to the subs.

Now, THAT is a goofy law IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
ANYONE can put a lien on anything you own... Your car, house, jewelry, furniture etc.... Say you are my neighbor...I cannot stand you and want to mess with you.. I can put a lien on your house.. And then when you go to refinance, sell, turn title over to someone else, etc, You have to deal with me before you can go forward....
Something doesn't sound right here. Someone can put a lien on your property even when you don't owe them anything?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm with you, OP. I don't think it fair that the mechanic can hold a $50,000 vehicle for a bill worth 1/10th of that.

Mechanics should have to do what the rest of us do when a customer doesn't pay the bill---take them to court.

Don't even get me started on tow truck drivers.

The government does it all the time. Don't pay your property taxes and they can confiscate you home and sell it at auction.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:

Citation needed, here. Not saying I don't believe you, but...I don't believe you can do this just for the hell of it. There has to be a debt incurred.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
You're using the wrong example, or at least an example where your point seems more credible. You're talking about a mechanic literally rebuilding a car. They turned a car of $0 value into a new car worth some money. What we are talking about instead is a minor repair by a mechanic. And there are valid reasons why you would refuse to pay - not necessarily that you have to be a scumbag.

For example, you can have a dispute with the mechanic on what was agreed upon, or over inflated charges, or the mechanic fixing stuff you never told him to do. Say, he went and fixed something (of say, $100 value) without confirming with you first. And you felt it was not necessary, or that you even had the part in your house, and were planning to do it yourself.

Disputes happen every day in every form of business. And there are ways and channels to handle them. But it is not an excuse for the other party to hold your (far more valuable than the dispute amount) equipment hostage.

Your mechanic does not hold the car title, and there was no legal transfer of ownership to the mechanic. In my books, if they keep the car hostage, they should be charged with theft. And the disputed amount should be handled separately.

I cannot even believe that people on this thread feel that it is okay for a mechanic to illegally keep someone's car following a dispute.

A loan company seizes a car due to non-payment because they legally hold the car title. Legally, the car belongs to them. This is certainly not true for a car mechanic.

The parts on the car belong to the mechanic. NOT the owner who has not paid for them. If the owner of the vehicle drives away with the vehicle by your definition they have also committed theft. The only way the mechanic can ensure he is paid is to hold the vehicle (which is LEGAL... not illegal as you mentioned). You enter into a binding contract when you sign the work order that clearly states you give them permission to hold the vehicle for payment, and that a mechanic's lien will be placed on it if not paid. They also reserve the right to sell the car to recoup their loss. Nothing illegal about a contract that you signed off on.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Citation needed, here. Not saying I don't believe you, but...I don't believe you can do this just for the hell of it. There has to be a debt incurred.
Anyone can claim a debt incurred.. AND it does NOT have to be written..It could be an oral debt.. Say I go to file a lien.. I tell them me and my neighbor went in together on a fence.. I bought the materials and we put it up but he did not pay me.. I can file a lien....

Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Anyone can claim a debt incurred.. AND it does NOT have to be written..It could be an oral debt.. Say I go to file a lien.. I tell them me and my neighbor went in together on a fence.. I bought the materials and we put it up but he did not pay me.. I can file a lien....
You have to back up the lien before it will be entered against a property, at the very least by swearing an affidavit. Falsely swearing information in an affidavit is perjury, which judges typically don't look too kindly upon.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
In regards to the SoCal fence thing I kind of doubt that a lien could be filed.

I was once on Jury duty in the West Covina court and the fence issue came up.

#1 wanted a fence so he talked to #2 who was not 100% for the idea.

#1 was pushy to a degree and #2 gave in and signed a small agreement to pay for half.

#1 goes all out for expensive material and self builds the fence and on completion wants half of the bill.

#2 is not happy with the high total of the bill and says NO PAY.

#1 sues in Small Claims court and the Judge asks #2 "is your signature on that small piece of paper?"

#2 answers "Yes Sir"

Verdict for #1

Old 08-01-2018, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
My ex has a title loan on his car he hasn't paid . He took it to a mechanic to have work done he can't pay that so they have a mechanics lein on car now.So who will end up with the car now in Texas

Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee2018 View Post
My ex has a title loan on his car he hasn't paid . He took it to a mechanic to have work done he can't pay that so they have a mechanics lein on car now. So who will end up with the car now in Texas
The mechanic has the car, and if he locks it up at night it cannot be repossessed. The bank will have to pay the mechanic to get the car back to repossess and resell it, and the ex will be sent to collections by both. Besides ruined credit, the amounts may be enough that they would go to court and seek a judgement, then attach wages and/or seize bank accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive