Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times

Advertisements

My car is old and the key doesn't turn in the door lock. My mechanic said a locksmith can rebuild the lock to work. I don't know how much that would cost but I hope way less than $175.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
what kind of key costs $175!!!??? the pass keys (the ones with the chip in them) are expensive, but are only for the ignition. no door key shoul cost more than a couple bucks to get a new one made.

also, there is no fuse or other electric end item that would assist or prevent you from manually locking and unlocking the door.

the way i understand it,
*your ignition key is the same key that opens your doors
*you bent your key
*you had it straightened out
*the key now functions in the ignition, but not the door locks
* when you put the key in the keyhole, it doesnt turn at all - as opposed to it turns back and fourth, but doesnt move the lock up/down or back/forth.

if this is correct, i would have a new key made. you can get a new key made at Walmart for $5.00 or less. also, a lot of the discount autoparts stores, (Autozone, Checker, Pepboys) make keys for $5.00 or less.

if the key turns in the keyhole, but does not move the locks, then there is an internal problem with the door locking mechanism - probably something unhooked ot unhinged. again, this would not be an electrical problem.

good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Does the key open the passenger-side lock?

And why the hell would a key cost $175?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 AM

625 posts, read 3,636,011 times
Ok the dealer said the key would cost me about $175 because it has a chip in it (the same reason the alarm would cost me close to $200). I went to a locksmith he said he could make me a dummy key which would cost $65 and it would only unlock and lock the door then it would another $65 for the chip AND then it would be an additional $85 service charge. All of this while my car was immobile and in the parking lot at my job. I would have had to tow the car to the locksmith (i told u it was a hellish 36 hours!!!). I have a 2 door and the key does not work in any of the locks. I am going to check out having a dummy key made at Walmart this weekend so maybe I can unlock and lock the doors (that is really all I need since the key works in the ignition).

These keys are expensive and I can't just blow $175 on a key and $200 on an alarm (I need to get an alarm anyway) just to unlock and lock the doors.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM

I still don't understand why you can't have a dummy key cut from the existing key.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,011 times
I can but it will cost $65 if I go to the locksmith I went to before. I will weigh my options this weekend when I have money and time to spare.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM

You don't need to go to a locksmith to have a dummy key made from your existing key. As others have noted, there are places you can get it done for five bucks.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Probably even less than 2 for $5 at Lowes or Home Depot ...or as Linson mentioned, Walmart. I think the last key I had made at a Walmart was less than $2.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 AM

26 posts, read 268,479 times
ONE>>>WD 40 is a petrolium based product that when it dries, it forms a film that attracts dust and becomes gummy. It is a great Water Displacement product, but it washed out any lubricant that is in the lock. Use Tri-flow or LPS-1 or even pure silicon.

TWO: If I understand the problem:
A-the key worked OK in all the locks until the key was bent.
B- once the key was bent and 'repaired' then the key worked in the ignition only and not the door.
C- My friend, you will have to go to a locksmith who can not only make you another key, but program that new key into the car so the computer will work. It may be cheaper than a key at the dealer. Check it out.
D- when a key has a transponder (computer chip) in it, the transponder is there to prevent someone from hot-wiring your car from theft. There will never be a five dollar replacement, or dummy key available. Since 2000, most cars sold in the U.S. will have a transponder in them. There are plenty of cars that have transponders in them before the year 2000. A mechanical key may turn in the ignition, but without a properly programmed transponder, that car will not start.

By the way, I am a locksmith who is slowly getting out of the automotive area of locksmithing because of the cost of programming equipment.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM

165 posts, read 812,281 times
I am having this problem as well. We are trying to get a replacement key made for a 2002 Nissan Maxima. The dealer said it would cost $125 for they key as the chip has to be programmed. This is crazy!

Can anyone clarify this issue? The chip inside is not the same as going to Home Depot and getting a new house key.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive